Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2009, 08:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Helios 58/2

can anybody compare this to SMC 50/1.7 (any generation)???
how big is the difference in FOV between those two? How does the IQ compare.
I'm only asking because I like my F50/1.7 but find it tad short for the kind of shots I'd like to do with it sometimes. And I found shop which has like 6 or 7 of the Helios lenses on shelf in various conditions for £9.99. And it would be good excuse to get M42>PK adapter, and then.... go and figure.

TIA
Peter

09-24-2009, 08:25 AM   #2
Igilligan

Well you may or may not know of my love for the Helios 44M... any search will show way too many examples of mine from this lens.

I love the focal length and the 'look' of this lens. The photos just have a quality that I really like. There are at least 6 variations on the Helios 44 and each has it's own thing going.

There is also the Pentax 55 1.8 that is a special lens also. But if you are trying to creep up in focal length the 58MM helios may be your cheap ticket.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/40719-helios-44-m-first-test-shots.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/50673-helios-back.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/67263-san-francisco-raw-backside.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/54120-random-helios-44m-shots.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/51826-close-up-cacaphony...stuff-end.html

Last edited by Igilligan; 09-24-2009 at 08:50 AM.
09-24-2009, 08:29 AM   #3
Voe
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I did center sharpness test more than a year ago:

Original image: Flickr Photo Download: 50s center crops

The Helios 58mm f/2 is the in the second row.

Cheers,

Voe
09-24-2009, 08:44 AM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Well you may or may not know of my love for the Helios 44M... any search will show way too many examples of mine from this lens.

I love the focal length and the 'look' of this lens. The photos just have a quality that I really like. There are at least 6 variations on the Helios 44 and each has it's own thing going.

There is also the Pentax 55 1.8 that is a special lens also. But if you are trying to creep up in focal length the 58MM helios may be your cheap ticket.
Can u post some examples for me please?
And which version of the Helios do you thing is the best.
Thank you

09-24-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
can anybody compare this to SMC 50/1.7 (any generation)???
how big is the difference in FOV between those two? How does the IQ compare.
I'm only asking because I like my F50/1.7 but find it tad short for the kind of shots I'd like to do with it sometimes. And I found shop which has like 6 or 7 of the Helios lenses on shelf in various conditions for £9.99. And it would be good excuse to get M42>PK adapter, and then.... go and figure.

TIA
Peter
Not that you shouldn't get the adapter, but there's a K version too, you know!

I had one at one point--the 44-M-6, but it wouldn't stop down without me doing a small bit of surgery, so that may or may not be your thing (it wasn't mine)!.

Check this thread too:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/67775-sibling-...s-44m-4-a.html
09-24-2009, 08:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have this lens and I used with an adapter that as the flange because I'm afraid it might get stuck if I use the Pentax adapter I have.

Did someone tried already with the Pentax adapter ?
09-24-2009, 08:53 AM   #7
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Voe Quote
I did center sharpness test more than a year ago:

Original image: Flickr Photo Download: 50s center crops

The Helios 58mm f/2 is the in the second row.

Cheers,

Voe
Thannks for the link. I'll cchecck it out

09-24-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
Igilligan

Axl I have posted the links in my original post...

You can check out my old links... I have many individual shots that I really love from this lens, but these early test shots I posted will give a good idea.
09-24-2009, 09:53 AM   #9
Igilligan

09-24-2009, 10:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Gus, You should submit the last one to PPG. It's a masterpiece. (Yes, I saw the other thread )
09-24-2009, 10:11 AM   #11
Igilligan

Thank you... I love that shot, and I put it up critique somewhere and it got ripped up pretty good. It always amazes me how other see the same photos... But it is truly one of my favorite photos I have taken.

As to your question about the original pentax adaptor... I have the 44M and 44-2. The 44M is a larger lens with a bigger base and fits very nicely on the camera. (also has the A/M switch like Takumars do)
The 44-2 is a much smaller 'based' lens, and it sits on the adaptor and not actually against the camera. But it still works with the Pentax adaptor and does not get stuck.

I like the preset aperture of the 44-2 - but the 44M is my fave as it just feels right on the camera.
09-24-2009, 10:15 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Axl,
I have the Pentax-M 50/1.7, Pentax-A 50/1.7, and the Helios 44M 58/2 (base M42 version with 8-blade iris). All are excellent lenses. I wish that I could give you some controlled test shots, but I haven't done anything like that. I can give you my general impressions:
  • Images from the Helios definitely have a different look than those from either of my Pentax 50s. The description I would give is that the Helios shots have a certain "presence".
  • The extra 8mm focal length is noticeable (at least on APS-C)
  • The Helios holds its own in terms of sharpness, with little loss of sharpness moving from the center to the edges/corners
  • The Helios is sharp wide open
  • I like the Helios bokeh better than that of the Pentax
  • The Pentax coatings are superior to those on my Helios. Note, however, that MC versions do exist and are prominently labeled as such. I just use a hood with mine.
Here are a few shots from my Helios 44M:

(For a comparison to the same subject with the Pentax-FA 77/1.8 see Flickr Photo Download: Pairing 1, #1)

Another similar photo of the same subject taken with ISO50's Helios 44M-4

Showing the "dreamy" bokeh

Color reference

Full sun with lens hood (probably f/4)

That should be a good sampler.

Why don't you just pick the best looking one at the shop and give it a test drive. At £9.99, you can hardly lose.

A few quick notes regarding models:
  • The optical quality of the "44M-x" models (e.g. Helios 44M-4) supposedly increases within the sequence
  • The base 44M has the A/M switch and the 8-bladed aperture. The "-" series have no switch and 6-bladed apertures.
  • The "M" apparently stands for M42. These lenses are not multi-coated unless labeled as such.
  • The later lenses have more plastic in the construction
  • The first two numerals of the serial number indicate the year of manufacture

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-24-2009 at 11:17 AM.
09-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #13
Igilligan

You are just taunting me with this shot... and you know it! hehe
09-24-2009, 10:31 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Here are two of my threads dealing with the Helios 44 lenses:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/67775-sibling-...s-44m-4-a.html (lots of pictures along with general discussion of the Helios 44 lenses)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/66962-got-my-h...44m-today.html

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-24-2009 at 10:37 AM.
09-24-2009, 10:53 AM   #15
Veteran Member

In general, the Helios-44s have excellent center sharpness from wide open, but have "interesting" corner/edge softness and bokeh. I absolutely adore the three that I have, but they're not the best if you want edge-to-edge sharpness. Incredible for "artistic" shooting, though.

(Just got my 44K-4 MC today.)