Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
50mm Macro options

Hello,

I'm looking into macro lenses for my scale modeling magazine articles. It seems I've narrowed it down to the 50mm f2.8 macro. My confusion comes from the different versions. What's the difference/benefits between F, FA, DFA, DA series etc? I understand those are optically identical. Correct? I don't mind manual focus so I don't rule out the A version if the price is right.
Any version particularly preferred over another? How about the M 50mm f4 Macro? How does it compares?
For my application, DOF is far more important than speed.
I'm currently using a 28mm macro with good results, but LBA is strong......

Thanks,

09-24-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There is no DA 50 macro.

The FA and DFA are supposed to be identical except for the coatings and the much sturdier build of the FA.

The F is supposed to be good, but maybe not as good as the FA/DFA.

I'm not familiar with the A macros.

I own the FA 50 and it is by far my sharpest lens. I love it. the build is great, the weigth is great, the focus ring had an enormous throw. I only miss a focus limiter, but then again those usually give you access to a "non-macro mode" and I don't use that lens except for macro. I'd like a "macro limiter"...

I think you can't go wrong with any of those. You have to expect a lot of MF even with an AF lens.

Good luck!
09-24-2009, 01:45 PM   #3

about me F , FA , DFA versions are all good.

pentax 50mm macro lenses are excellent!
09-24-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

A little macro primer for you:

Speed is not relevant because you'll be stopping down to f/16 or more to get good dof. So for that reason, get a good flash or else you'll be shooting outside under midday sun.

What ultimately sets the dof is focal length. Longer focal length means dof will be narrower.

09-24-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gemini Quote
about me F , FA , DFA versions are all good.

pentax 50mm macro lenses are excellent!
I've used the A 50mm f2.8 Macro for some 25 years (with Bellows and extension tubes) and find it to be excellent. I also use the Tamron 90mm f2.8 Di Macro and consider the Pentax as good.

David