Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2009, 04:57 PM   #1

Anyone got an M1.6x2MM screw they'd send me for a $1?

Oops. Thread title was supposed to be M1.6X2MM, not M1.6X1.2MM... ugh!

Anyway, I'm not actually exactly sure how "long" it is. Some sites say to measure the threads only, others say measure tip to tip. Since this screw has an angled head, I'm guessing it's a 2mm. See http://www.mcfeelys.com/tech/dimensions.htm. If you measure threads only, it's 1.4mm.

My father bought a Pentax-K 50mm f/1.4 for his camera back around when I was born, and when I got older he gave the camera to me.

At some point, the lens stopped focusing to infinity, and being the up-and-coming physicist/curious teenager that I was, I attempted to take the lens apart when I was about 13.

Now, at that time, I was pretty lousy at taking things apart and didn't have many tools. I put a few scratches in the metal, not having any real lens wrenches, but didn't hurt the glass. I didn't get very far either, as I was never able to disassemble the lens without the wrench.

When I put it back together, I lost one of the screws that holds in the filter ring. It's not critical, but it does mean the filter ring is a little loose. Sadly, I even foolishly tried to force in a too-large screw from a Vivitar that had a "crunchy" zoom lens because of dirt (...that I ended up destroying..!) Luckily, though I managed to insert the oversized screw only though the filter ring retaining plate; I never did manage to force it into the lens body.

Now that I'm much older, I've decided I wanted to try the lens with my Canon 10D/7D (coming), so I took the lens apart again, remembered what a mess I made, cleaned everything up in an ultrasonic bath w/ethanol, and have reassembled the lens. I think I have the back focus problem fixed, too, but I won't know until my adapter ring comes. Apart from a few scuffs, everything else seems to be fine... filters still screw onto the lens just fine, too.

Anyway, I'm still missing this one M1.6x2MM machine screw.

I thought maybe one of you might have one lying around in a junk box from a trashed lens and would consider sending it to me via 1st class snail mail... I can send you $1 via pay pal to cover the postage.

Thanks!

-cwm9

Last edited by cwm9; 09-25-2009 at 06:18 PM.
09-25-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I could do that for ya. PM me.

No cost for the screw but -- I'm uncertain of the postage rates to "The World".

A location in your profile, even if you just narrow it down to a continent maybe?, facilitates replies to this sort of request.

H2
09-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #3

Original Poster
Oooh, thanks! Ok, I'll send a PM. Sorry about the profile not having a location. I live in Hawaii, so a first class stamp should do the trick! =)