Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2009, 11:47 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Asahiflex, is there any chance you'll be doing the same test with a film camera soon?
It might be interesting seeing what those lenses would do on full frame. I wouldn't be suprised if the A* 85/1.4 shines in that test.
Yes, I was planning to do that too. With a fridge full of film that should be possible

Mind you, I'm only interested in the performance at or near wide open (everything shown here was shot wide open, including the portraits). Why buy a fast portrait tele and then use it only stopped down? Likewise I'm not interested in the corner performance of the lenses. If you think I'm wrong then please let me know

The Helios-40-2 will also be added to my collection sooner or later, just like I will add the Carl Zeiss Jena 75mm f/1.5 Biotar

09-26-2009, 12:08 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Like I said over there, the 77Ltd and Tak 85/1.9 win it for me.
And the M85/2. All of these look better than the A* to me, though not by a huge margin.

I also agree that these look underexposed.
09-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #18
Banned

to my eyes, the 1.9 Super-Takumar looks the best. I know you really speak highly of the Pancolar Peter, but it just doesnt do much for me.
09-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice portraits!

09-26-2009, 01:11 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Very obvious

Wow, what a shock.....the A* 85mm is really disappointing. The FA77 is great (as expected) but the real surprise here is the SMC-M 85mm. I really like the rendering of that lens.

Kind regards
.lars
09-26-2009, 02:02 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Out of curiosity, did you attempt to adjust the A*85mm/1.4 CA during RAW conversion? If you didn't, you didn't do your job.
09-26-2009, 02:11 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Takumar and FA 77 for me... I actually can't tell betwen the A and FA but I'll take the FA since it's AF and is approximately the same price.

The meyer got a different bokeh to the others, and may be preferrable if you like it.

09-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #23
Inactive Account

I don't see why everyone is ragging on the A*. I think it has the best bokeh of the bunch and is probably sharpest. From my experience with it it does often show bad CA, but in most situations it is mostly avoidable.
09-27-2009, 12:48 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Y Why buy a fast portrait tele and then use it only stopped down? Likewise I'm not interested in the corner performance of the lenses. If you think I'm wrong then please let me know
I will bite,
First, on APS-C I would not call these portrait primes.
Second, you cannot judge the corner performance on APS-C, sensor is too small.
Third, if you shoot all wide open, and not at the same aperture, what are you comparing ?
Fourth, why buy fast primes and use them stopped down :
In general, a 1.4 lens will be a better lens at 2.0 than a 2.0 lens at 2.0.
09-27-2009, 02:32 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Out of curiosity, did you attempt to adjust the A*85mm/1.4 CA during RAW conversion? If you didn't, you didn't do your job.
That's ridiculous. If you are going to reduce CA for one lens, then you should also increase contrast for another lens. Why should the A* 85 get special treatment ?

Kind regards
.lars
09-27-2009, 03:52 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Peter,
congrats on your son's second birthday, happy party!

Thanks for taking and publishing this nice series. I understand that you have done this in regards to portrait photography. I'd just say this is a series of nice photos from very nice lenses (avoiding the dreaded 'test' scenario).

For a strange kind of reason the Meyer Görlitz is pulling me :-) Apart from your excellent portraits on the net from the 75 Meyer found some more here. I was thinking 'black-and-white' when I read portrait. In that regard the Primoplan is even better maybe. Having the 58 Primoplan and the 100 Trioplan I guess it's just logical to fill the hole with the 75 .-)

I am a firm believer in the cemented triple front lens (a.k.a. classic 'Sonnar') and in that regard the early Tak83 is appealing to me as well as the Jup9. I think there always will be a trade-off between either best bokeh (smooth, silent, low-key) or best 'test'-contrast (the latter being quite undesirable in portraits imo).

Best, Georg

Last edited by georgweb; 09-27-2009 at 07:35 AM.
09-27-2009, 09:21 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glasbak Quote
It's subjective, to be sure, but I think it's a quite useful portrait focal length on APS-C. Still, I'd have loved to see the DA70 included - and maybe one of the new Korean 85/1.4's!

QuoteQuote:
APS-C sensors have corners too. True, you can't judge how the corners would look on FF, but if you don't care about FF, it's still relevant to wonder what the corners might look like on APS-C.

FWIW, I see lots of very good lenses with one or two dogs in comparison. The FA77 was probably consistently my favorite in each grouping, but not by huge margins. The M85/2 continues to impress me simply by virtue of being in the pack.
09-27-2009, 09:49 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Recercare Quote
That's ridiculous. If you are going to reduce CA for one lens, then you should also increase contrast for another lens. Why should the A* 85 get special treatment ?

Kind regards
.lars
Because the adjustment is routinely available during raw conversion, and CA is only one of many qualities that a lens should be chosen for.
After that, you can decide if the lens' native contrast, sharpness, bokeh or whatever else works for you.
Or, just go out and take some pictures and forget about pointless exercises.
09-27-2009, 10:00 AM   #29
mer

it would have been to use a busy background, that's where the true test lies
09-27-2009, 10:27 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by glasbak Quote
I will bite,
Third, if you shoot all wide open, and not at the same aperture, what are you comparing ?
Fourth, why buy fast primes and use them stopped down :
In general, a 1.4 lens will be a better lens at 2.0 than a 2.0 lens at 2.0.
I love to stir things up a bit!

But you made me think and a f/2 test will be added too.