Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2007, 11:00 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Varnco!
Maybe https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/5423-m42-lenses-k100d.html is useful.
Regards!
Andrei

05-24-2007, 11:27 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No you don't have to undo any of the changes to use the camera in full auto. As soon as you put a A FA or DA lens back on, the camera recognises it as such and operates with all auto modes intact.

Thanks carpents on the use of AV mode- I have never used mine in AV always M with AE-L. Will try that out this weekend.
05-25-2007, 06:28 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Settings

1. Set to allow use of aperture ring
2. Set auto-manual switch on lens to "manual"
3. Set mode to Av

Shooting

1. Compose / Focus
2. Spin aperture ring down to desired aperture
3. Press shutter button

Nothing could be simpler. You get constant feedback on depth of field as you spin the aperture down. Just keep an eye on the shutter speed in the viewfinder to make sure you're not too fast or too slow for the situation. Very quickly you will learn to count off the clicks of the aperture ring so that you know exactly what aperture you used without even looking at it.

A Katz-Eye or the Chinese bargain-basement equivalent focusing screen, with split-ring prism and surrounding microprisms will greatly improve ease and accuracy of manual focusing.

When you want to go back to using modern lenses, just mount the lens and use the camera as normal. No need to change any settings.
05-25-2007, 10:14 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for all the help.

I haven't been able to set the speed at speed that will stop action. Actually, I can't figure out how to set any speed, it seems to set it automatically.

I've tried AV and TV...

What am I doing wrong?

05-26-2007, 04:06 AM   #20
Veteran Member

If you're using the M42 lenses, just put the dial on Av mode and leave it there. Let the camera pick your shutter speed.

When you spin the aperture ring down to the aperture you want, keep an eye on the shutter speed in the viewfinder. If it is too slow to stop action, you have two options: 1) open the aperture up; 2) boost your ISO.
05-26-2007, 05:11 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Putting the Mode into AV will have the camera choosing an appropriate shutter speed. But when you check the LCD you may find that DoF is great but overall exposure is wrong - for me it tends to be an issue of underexposure. Or that you could tweak a bit more speed out of the available light.

You can over ride that camera metering guesstimate by holding down the exp button and twirling the rear wheel to force what you think would be a better more appropriate speed. Works in M mode with the DL2 - should work with K100 in AV I should think. Try it and see...

If it doesn't work in Av mode then perhaps that is a possible advantage for using M mode and the AE-L button.
05-26-2007, 05:45 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Putting the Mode into AV will have the camera choosing an appropriate shutter speed. But when you check the LCD you may find that DoF is great but overall exposure is wrong - for me it tends to be an issue of underexposure. Or that you could tweak a bit more speed out of the available light.

You can over ride that camera metering guesstimate by holding down the exp button and twirling the rear wheel to force what you think would be a better more appropriate speed. Works in M mode with the DL2 - should work with K100 in AV I should think. Try it and see...

If it doesn't work in Av mode then perhaps that is a possible advantage for using M mode and the AE-L button.
I found that all my Takumars required a +1.5 EV boost. Adding a split-prism focusing screen has upped the ante to +2.0 EV. The improvement in the ease and accuracy of manual focus has made it a worthwhile trade-off. If light gets so low that I just absolutely must have those couple of stops back, I can pull the Takumars and go back to K-mount lenses.
05-26-2007, 12:25 PM   #23

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice.

I'll head out to the gym today and try out various methods and see which works out best.

I'd rather not have to hit the AE button in Manual mode, so hopefully in AV mode it'll select a shutter speed that is quick enough. I'm pretty sure I'll have to be shooting at 1600, so upping it from there won't be possible.

Thanks again. I'll post what seems to work for me, so it'll hopefully help someone else out. These indoor sports pix are such a pain.

05-26-2007, 09:35 PM   #24

Original Poster
Well, I didn't make it to the gym to take basketball pictures in the poor light.

But, I did fiddle with the camera and found that I can set it so I can select the aperature via the dial and then the shutter speed using the twirl dial (whatever it's called)

My setup:

Manual Mode
In Custom Settings, I've set AE-L button on M expsr, and set it to 2 (TV Shift)