Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2007, 06:00 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
M42 with K100d

Okay, I can't figure out how to get this to work consistently.

I've found a few users who ask about a k10 with manual lens... but not k100.

I want to be able to take indoor pictures with low lighting, and a relatively fast shutter, say 1/250.

What mode should I use?

TV?
Manual?

Any advice is appreciated!

05-24-2007, 06:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ignore me.

Last edited by igowerf; 05-24-2007 at 08:02 PM.
05-24-2007, 06:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by igowerf Quote
1. Switch your camera to Manual mode.
2. Set the aperture with the aperture ring on the lens.
3. Press the AE-L button on the back, upper right corner of the camera. The camera will temporarily close down the aperture iris and automatically set the shutter speed. This is called stop down metering.
No, no, no.

M42 lenses do not have a bayonet - they must be in stop-down mode. Therefore, you can shoot away in Aperture Priority mode. It will meter as you stop the lens down.
05-24-2007, 07:08 PM   #4

Original Poster
I am confused now....

05-24-2007, 07:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by varnco Quote
I am confused now....
What lenses do you have?
05-24-2007, 07:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
No, no, no.

M42 lenses do not have a bayonet - they must be in stop-down mode. Therefore, you can shoot away in Aperture Priority mode. It will meter as you stop the lens down.
I assume by "bayonet" you mean that aperture lever? My Super Takumars have those and they also have a switch to choose between Auto and Manual aperture. In one mode, the aperture closes down when I turn the aperture ring. In the other, the aperture stays open while I turn the ring.

The AE-L button should still work regardless of whether the lens has an automatic aperture or not because the camera will meter based on what it sees when you hit the button. If he wants to adjust the shutter speed, he'll need to be in M mode.

EDIT: Just did a quick test and the AE-L button indeed doesn't close the iris, so I stand corrected. The AE-L button still works fine for metering in M mode though.

Last edited by igowerf; 05-24-2007 at 07:52 PM.
05-24-2007, 07:49 PM   #7

I assume by "bayonet" you mean that aperture lever? My Super Takumars have those and they also have a switch to choose between Auto and Manual aperture. In Manual aperture mode, the aperture closes down when I turn the aperture ring.
This is the correct usage of M42 lenses mounted on a K100D.

QuoteQuote:
In Auto mode, the aperture stays open while I turn the ring.
This is incorrect, as it will leave the aperture wide open when the camera opens the shutter. The aperture has no contact with the camera body, so ever shot will be wide open.
QuoteQuote:
The AE-L button should still work regardless of whether the lens has an automatic aperture or not because the camera will meter based on what it sees when you hit the button. If he wants to adjust the shutter speed, he'll need to be in M mode.
The AE-L button does not stop down the aperture with M42 lenses, because there is no connection between the camera body and the aperture stop-down pin on an M42 lens. The adapter blocks it.

Mike

05-24-2007, 07:52 PM   #8

Original Poster
What lenses do you have?
That would be LENS. :-)

It's a screw mount SMC takumar 1.9, 85mm
05-24-2007, 07:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I assume by "bayonet" you mean that aperture lever? My Super Takumars have those and they also have a switch to choose between Auto and Manual aperture. In Manual aperture mode, the aperture closes down when I turn the aperture ring. In Auto mode, the aperture stays open while I turn the ring.
Huh? M42 lenses - like your Super-Takumars - do not have a bayonet. They have an auto-manual selector for stopping down or not, but 'auto' only works on M42 cameras. Leaving the lens in auto mode will keep it wide open the whole time.

Yes, the AE-L button will work with M42 lenses. But you don't need to use it - you will get the same results in Aperture Priority mode. Why do an extra step when you don't have to?

I understand what you're saying - because with M42 lenses, shutter priority mode doesn't change your shutter - M mode is the only way to force the shutter to a set value. But you'll need to make sure the lens is at the right aperture anyway, so I see no utility whatsoever to shooting with M42 lenses in M mode.
05-24-2007, 08:01 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeH Quote
The AE-L button does not stop down the aperture with M42 lenses, because there is no connection between the camera body and the aperture stop-down pin on an M42 lens. The adapter blocks it.
You're right. I rarely use my Takumars, so I never realized this. My M42 Soligor has a second aperture ring for stopping down and I've always use M mode + AE-L button with it.
05-24-2007, 08:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

That would be LENS. :-)

It's a screw mount SMC takumar 1.9, 85mm
Well this is a fine lens! It should do what you want it to.

What problems are you having exactly?

Make sure you're switched to Manual Focus, turn the Auto/Manual switch to 'Manual' on the lens, and I think you have to set one of the custom menu functions to 'permitted'...can't remember which setting exactly...and you can also set 'FI with S lens used' to allow the focus indicator when using screw-mount lenses.

Ugh...Japaneselish.
05-24-2007, 08:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Well this is a fine lens! It should do what you want it to.

What problems are you having exactly?

Make sure you're switched to Manual Focus, turn the Auto/Manual switch to 'Manual' on the lens, and I think you have to set one of the custom menu functions to 'permitted'...can't remember which setting exactly...and you can also set 'FI with S lens used' to allow the focus indicator when using screw-mount lenses.

Ugh...Japaneselish.
haha Focus Indication with Screwmount lens

but yea I agree they need to outline it in a more straightforward manner on their manuals and FAQs because backwards compatibility is such a bit part of the pentax K mount.
05-24-2007, 08:24 PM   #13

Original Poster
Just want to figure out the correct settings for this camera/lens combo.

I have aperature set to Y
Manual Focus
S lens focus indication
Shake reduction on, and lens set to 85MM manually

I want to take indoor basketball pictures (aka "crappy light, moving objects), so I assume I need to use this is TV mode? Or is is AV?

Trying to get a speed of 1/250, open F to allow max light, and setting speed to 800 or 1600.

Thanks!
05-24-2007, 08:27 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Just want to figure out the correct settings for this camera/lens combo.

I have aperature set to Y
Manual Focus
S lens focus indication
Shake reduction on, and lens set to 85MM manually

I want to take indoor basketball pictures (aka "crappy light, moving objects), so I assume I need to use this is TV mode? Or is is AV?

Trying to get a speed of 1/250, open F to allow max light, and setting speed to 800 or 1600.

Thanks!
Tv mode will behave the same as Av mode (which acts the same as P mode). I shoot all my M42 lenses in Av mode, and I just open up the aperture if I need a faster shutter. For shooting indoor basketball you should be fine as ISO 800 with the 85/1.9 somewhere between f/1.9 and f/4.

If not, just ask them to turn the lights up!
05-24-2007, 09:27 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks.

I'll bring my own lights!

Now, do I have to "clear out" all my changes when I throw my kit lens back on for my wife to use in auto mode?