Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2009, 06:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mir47K versus Zooms

Hello there,

In this post i`d like to present you a Mir47-K a 20mm 1:2.5 wide angle lens designed in Soviet era. It is multicoated, and was produced at KMZ.

I had a chance to handle one for a short period of time, and was able to execute a good comparison of Mir47k vs Sigma 17-35mm 1:2.8-4 zoom and vs old trusty Pentas SMC DA 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 kit lens. Comparison was done using my Pentax K10D camera.

First of all, the lens handled fine on K10D. Its not too light, probably around 400 gr. but it fits nicely on camera. The focus ring is wide and has a long turn from 30mm which is its closest focusing distance to infinity, which allows much more pleasant manual focusing compared to Kit lens for example.

On the good sides the lens is tack sharp in the center right from wide open aperture, unless you are shooting at hyperfocal. In the corners the colors are starting to stretch and it seems softer. Another good thing is it definitely has its character, and specific bokeh. One can easily find this out shooting close-ups wide open.

Here are "bokeh" test shots from all 3 lenses (all pictures are clickable for full-size):

Mir47K

full size

Sigma

full size

Kit lens

full size

Have to notice Sigma zoom has done well too, bokeh-wise.

Below are links for similar shots taken with 3 lenses to asses detail. Each lens was used wide-open and at F8.0. Click on link to open in new tab/window. No shaprening / noise reduction applied during PP.

Mir - wide open
Mir - at F8
Kit - wide open
Kit - at F8
Sigma - wide open
Sigma - at F8

Everyone is entitled to draw their own conclusions, but for me I decided to pass on this good prime, and be content with "good-enough" Sigma wide angle zoom i have.

PS. Here are few shots taken with Mir47K, just so you get an idea about what can be done with it.

full size

full size

full size

full size

full size

full size

full size

full size

full size

09-26-2009, 07:09 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
It looks like a nice lens, but I am not sure I would be prepared to pay close to $200 for a manual non-A wideangle.

But a f2,5 WA could really come in handy for some interior shots. It would be interesting to see how it compares to a modern f2.8 normal zoom.
09-26-2009, 11:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I actually just got this lens a few weeks ago and its been a joy to use. I don't have much time to do a review but its sharp wide open and has from what I can tell, great contrast.

Beware distortion is a problem I can tell you that much.

Anyhow, I'll try to get a more indepth review posted sometime in the next while if I can juggle my labs and assignments out of the way.
09-27-2009, 02:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

where did you guys buy the MIR-47? Rugfit?

09-27-2009, 04:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I got mine from an American ebay dealer. Lost the bid on one but got it on the 2nd lens. Ended up to be like $225CAN-$230CAN or something like that after S&H.

Last edited by FotoPete; 09-27-2009 at 05:11 PM.