Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2011, 08:27 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sure, you can use a non-WR lesn in the rain. You just want to take reasonable care not to get it too wet. A plastic bag over the lens works great. The WR camera is still nice, as it means you don't have to take the same care to keep it dry. Makes it easier to work the buttons. Also, you really have to protect a non-WR camera more carefully than a non-WR lens, since the camera is more likely to fail from water, and less water would be required to get it to fail.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 06-25-2011 at 09:40 AM.
06-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #32
Veteran Member

just don't let it undergo some test conditions like this guy did on another product >>>
07-05-2011, 04:20 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two 55-300s

This has been a really helpful thread. I just bought the K-5 and the dealer was showing me the DA50-200 WR. They would give a very small discount because I bought the body there. I did like the small size of the lens though. I had previously been thinking about the DA 55-300 and have heard a lot of good things about it. I think that is where I will park my lens dollars when I'm ready to spend more.

By the way, for anybody considering this lens, they should be careful to buy or consider the right 55-300 because there are two out there. The DA L 55-300 has a plastic mount. There may be other things that are "missing" because there's a significant price difference. The DA 55-300 is the only one I see at the Pentax web page so perhaps the DA L has been discontinued. Does anybody know if there are other differences besides the metal mount?
07-05-2011, 06:30 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen Quote
This has been a really helpful thread. I just bought the K-5 and the dealer was showing me the DA50-200 WR. They would give a very small discount because I bought the body there. I did like the small size of the lens though. I had previously been thinking about the DA 55-300 and have heard a lot of good things about it. I think that is where I will park my lens dollars when I'm ready to spend more.

By the way, for anybody considering this lens, they should be careful to buy or consider the right 55-300 because there are two out there. The DA L 55-300 has a plastic mount. There may be other things that are "missing" because there's a significant price difference. The DA 55-300 is the only one I see at the Pentax web page so perhaps the DA L has been discontinued. Does anybody know if there are other differences besides the metal mount?
DAL version was with one "twin lens kit" with the K-x and K-r.
Quite often it is available on ebay as people by the kit and then sell the lens separately.

DA version
- metal mount
- quickshift (ability to MF in AF mode)
- hood included
- soft case included

DAL version
- plastic mount
- no hood
- no quickshift
- no soft case
- optically identical to the DA version.

07-06-2011, 07:38 AM   #35
Pentaxian

The DA L version is never sold directly (by Pentax, or regular dealers). It isn't listed because it is *only* sold officially as part of the kit with a camera. But when buying on Ebay, indeed, it's easy enough to find a user selling their DA L. Some less scruplous dealers will breaks up kits and sell the lens separately, too.
07-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

I get the impression that the DAL could be a good buy. It's been for sale on E-bay by Prodigital 2000. At just over $200 it makes for a nice "disposable" lens. One that you would use but not expect to recover anything on resale. I can live without the quick shift and the bag. The hood would be nice though.
07-06-2011, 05:41 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen Quote
I get the impression that the DAL could be a good buy. It's been for sale on E-bay by Prodigital 2000. At just over $200 it makes for a nice "disposable" lens. One that you would use but not expect to recover anything on resale. I can live without the quick shift and the bag. The hood would be nice though.
You can buy the hood off ebay for around $8.
It's a Chinese knock-off but looks very well copied. It's just a hood anyway.
I bought myself one for my FA J 75-300mm. The FAJ has the same diameter hood as the DA 55-300mm.
12-31-2011, 03:14 PM   #38
Forum Member

I just want to say that I'm in a similar predicament, but with other zooms from Tamron. Thanks for all the comments everyone.