Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2009, 10:23 AM   #1

A real prob"lens" with my items

I bought a NON-digital SLR Pentax sometime ago and have been meaning to upgrade, however, I cannot seem to find a suitable replacement for my Pentax as all of the Wolf and Ritz stores in my area to NOT carry them any longer.

I have been told that the Samsungs are virtually identical, however, no luck there either.

Can someone tell me, based on the below, what other camera bodies I may be able to use since I do not want to have to buy ALL NEW equipment.....

Pentax Equipment....NO CAMERA - - (1) Tamron AF 70-300mm Tele-Macro, (1) Tamron-F AF Tele Converter, (1) Pentax-FA 28-80mm, and (1) Sunpak auto 266D

09-27-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
pbo
Veteran Member

You can pretty much buy any Pentax and Samsung-made DSLR, all of these lenses will work. Field of view of all of them will be different, though.
Also, be careful with flash - you should first check its trigger voltage before using on a DSLR.
09-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe that all your lenses will work with any Pentax/Samsung bodies. Since they are all AF & AE. With the flash, I'd checck the trigger voltage before putting it on DSLR. If the voltage is too high, it may fry the camera's circuits. If the flash is TTL it'll only work as such on *istD and *istDS/DS2 and GX1S. On other bodies it'll work only as manual or auto (if it has auto mode).
Sinnce all your lennses are K mounnt, you cann only use them with full funcctionality on Pentax and Samsung bodies.

BR
Peter
09-27-2009, 11:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If they don't have Pentax where you live and it's what you want then you can always look at B&H. They most likely have what your looking for.

pbo is right, your flash is probably in-compatible with digital. Although it will physically fit it feeds back some electricity into the camera, when it's triggered.
If it feeds back more than 6 volts a digital cameras circuitry may just fry. No warranty when that happens either.

From what I can tell you have about $250.00 (US) in lenses there. In my opinion that isn't really enough equipment to hold you to one system.
It might be the perfect time to do some research, and see if there's something better for you out there.
Even if you switch systems you can still keep your film camera.

09-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks

Thank you all for your help...I appreciate the knowledge base and will probably move away from the Pentax brand since 1) I didnt know the cost of my equipment to be so cheap now, 2) I havent found a lot of support, in regards to local retailers and 3) It seems as though there are many more OTHER camera users available for common knowledge.
09-27-2009, 02:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Your Tamron lens and teleconverter are still well regarded. The FA 28-80 is OK but not amazing, BUT it's just as good as it ever was, which means that if suited you before, it will still suit you now. The flash I do not know.

Moving away from Pentax is your decision, but I suggest you decide which kinds of pictures you want to take, in which way, with what tools, before jumping on another brand. do your homework and make sure you select a brand you will like. that means not believing the clecks in stores
09-28-2009, 12:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tcerveny Quote
Thank you all for your help...I appreciate the knowledge base and will probably move away from the Pentax brand since 1) I didnt know the cost of my equipment to be so cheap now, 2) I havent found a lot of support, in regards to local retailers and 3) It seems as though there are many more OTHER camera users available for common knowledge.
tcerveny,
Even if you do choose another brand most people on this board are still highly knowledgeable, and very helpful. I'm sure that they'd still welcome you around, and there's even a section dedicated to other systems.
You may want to ask questions there about the system you choose, before you buy. Wolf and Ritz stores aren't well known for their honesty, or knowledge.

People on this board accepted me, while I was shooting almost entirely with Sigma, and things haven't changed since I bought a Pentax film camera.

09-28-2009, 02:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Tcerveny,

I would disagree to your 2) and 3) cause there is always the online shops as well as internet communication. On the flipside there will be a photo club or something in your area and they will be very thankful to see a Pentax once in their lives .-)

About the flash, the Sunpak Auto 266SR is listed 'Yes' in this source: Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages. No mention of the Auto 266D though. The easiest would be to measure the voltage yourself but I don't know exactly how to.

The choice of your system depends heavily on what your photography actually consists of. If it was mainly for forum chatting you might consider staying with Pentax, as this is the best forum .-)

I am just guessing from your equipment list that you are a 'tele' guy and would recommend you to read a little into these threads to see what Pentax' system is capable of in that regard:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/65884...otography.html

A cheap but quality way to get a good 300mm (and a decent 2x converted 600mm) on Pentax:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/56246-any-expe...m-f-4-5-a.html

At least you will get in-body shake reduction with Pentax and a competitive price on the body (not the genuine lenses), also on the used market.

Good luck with the choice,
Georg