Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2009, 02:27 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
Indeed!

Better send the lens in to be checked. Seems some service is needed.
Yesterday I've visited the official Pentax service. The technician told me that he cannot do anything about it. It's just the nature of the particular lens.
I'ts still a good low light reporters lens after all, but I can't use it for "artistic" photos with main subject isolated by the depth of field - due to the bokeh.

10-07-2009, 02:29 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I only have one image taken at f2, and this may not be a bokeh king, but it certainly doesn't have that disturbing bokeh that you showed, so I refuse to believe it's just the lens.

12-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I've gotten used to the lens by now. Thought I will take some shots of my backyard as there was some light dusting of fresh snow, and wanted to see how it does wide open compared to the newly acquired FA35/2. I am sad to say, with the FA35 the focus locked but when I checked it later realized the AF malfunctioned. It was dark and the FA35 does have a difficult time with focus. So, I couldn't do the comparison, so I thought I'll post the FA24/2 image here.

I am getting very impressed with this lens. It is absolutely the perfect focal length. I was getting worried about it's softness at f2, but with use and the appropriate shutter, I think it performs very well, what do you guy's and gals think?

F2, iso1600, 1/8th shutter. (That is dark). Hand held, opened in LR and I did NR there, increased exposure a bit and then export to CS2 for some minor noiseware and resized. No sharpening or cropping, only NR which reduces sharpness some what.

Check the branches towards the very end. I like the overall rendition, and unlike my initial conclusion on the edges being mushy, I am glad to say that it is irrelevant in the real world.

12-28-2009, 10:11 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
I've gotten used to the lens by now. Thought I will take some shots of my backyard as there was some light dusting of fresh snow, and wanted to see how it does wide open compared to the newly acquired FA35/2. I am sad to say, with the FA35 the focus locked but when I checked it later realized the AF malfunctioned. It was dark and the FA35 does have a difficult time with focus. So, I couldn't do the comparison, so I thought I'll post the FA24/2 image here.

I am getting very impressed with this lens. It is absolutely the perfect focal length. I was getting worried about it's softness at f2, but with use and the appropriate shutter, I think it performs very well, what do you guy's and gals think?

F2, iso1600, 1/8th shutter. (That is dark). Hand held, opened in LR and I did NR there, increased exposure a bit and then export to CS2 for some minor noiseware and resized. No sharpening or cropping, only NR which reduces sharpness some what.

Check the branches towards the very end. I like the overall rendition, and unlike my initial conclusion on the edges being mushy, I am glad to say that it is irrelevant in the real world.
Thanks a lot. These are very relevant observations.
Sure put the urge in, regarding the 24/2. If it looks this good wide open, then I find it very useful indeed.
(Probably using it on crop DSLR helps).

Regarding the FA35, I thought it did a good job with AF ?

12-28-2009, 12:08 PM   #20

My FA*24/2 is sharp at 2.0 (in my eyes at least) and has a great boké and caracter..
Stopped down it is *really* sharp!

Love it, perfect focal length cropped!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
12-28-2009, 04:05 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Termik Quote
My FA*24/2 is sharp at 2.0 (in my eyes at least) and has a great boké and caracter..
Stopped down it is *really* sharp!

Love it, perfect focal length cropped!
These are great shots, you're showing. Love the first one