Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2007, 06:41 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens Mfr -- Promaster = Tamron?

Hi all. I was in our local camera shop yesterday (Rockbrook Camera, Lincoln NE USA) looking at the Pentax 50-200. When I asked about the Tamron 70-300, the gent I was talking to suggested the Promaster 70-300 instead. He said it was the same lens, and was manufactured by Tamron but with different label. True?

I didn't have time to haul the camera inside and take some test shots with both lenses to compare (was just after a basic price estimate for the lens(es) so only spent a few minutes in there). The Promaster was listed at about $170 - fair price?

His opinion was that either lens would work well for my marching-band college stadium shooting. The Pentax lens is significantly smaller, the Promaster has a bit more reach to it. Choices, choices... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Jim

05-25-2007, 07:15 AM   #2
Forum Member

It is true that some Promasters are made by Tamron, and I believe some quantaray are made by sigma, but I have also heard that some of there cheap cusions do not have some of the same glass, I do not know if this is true though.
05-25-2007, 08:35 AM   #3
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by CycloneBandDad Quote
Hi all. I was in our local camera shop yesterday (Rockbrook Camera, Lincoln NE USA) looking at the Pentax 50-200. When I asked about the Tamron 70-300, the gent I was talking to suggested the Promaster 70-300 instead. He said it was the same lens, and was manufactured by Tamron but with different label. True?

I didn't have time to haul the camera inside and take some test shots with both lenses to compare (was just after a basic price estimate for the lens(es) so only spent a few minutes in there). The Promaster was listed at about $170 - fair price?

His opinion was that either lens would work well for my marching-band college stadium shooting. The Pentax lens is significantly smaller, the Promaster has a bit more reach to it. Choices, choices... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Jim
I have the Promaster 70-300 with Macro setting. I find it to be an acceptable lens but not a great lens. I you're working with anything that has a lot of contrast, you will get purple fringing with that lens.

Here are a couple of shots I took with the lens. BTW, I have a friend who has the Tamron 70-300 and you can't tell one from the other when you put them side by side.

Last edited by Ed in GA; 05-25-2007 at 05:05 PM. Reason: to add photos
05-25-2007, 05:06 PM   #4
Ed in GA

a little push to move it up.