Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2007, 08:45 AM   #1

Is DA70 fast enough for indoor

I am planning to upgrade my DA50/1.4. It is an excellent lens, but I would like something sharper wide open and the FOV is just not my favorite (something a bit wider or longer would be nice)

Currently, I also own DA40 and I have 3 options now
1) sell the DA40 as well and upgrade to FA43/1.9
2) keep the DA40 and upgrade to FA77/1.8
3) keep the DA40 and upgrade to DA70/2.4

My preference is on (3) now, since I'll have two focal length covered and I love the quick shift focus of the DA lenses. My concern is its speed. Is it sufficient for indoor available light photography?

Any other suggestion are welcome.

Thanks,
Simon

05-25-2007, 09:08 AM   #2

I'd say option 2. IMO, the extra stop is worth it.
05-25-2007, 02:53 PM   #3

Simon, I second what mister.macro says. The extra stop is definitely worth it.

I have had the FA 77 for about 6 months now and have used it extensively at concerts where I have had to dial in -0.5 EV at ISO 1600, f/1.8 or f/2 to get a usable photograph. A DA 70 with an f/2.4 aperture would not cut it (I have tried shooting at f/2.4 with the FA 77) for my purposes.

However, if the low-light that you anticipate shooting in is not quite THAT low then the DA 70 could be quite attractive. It has some definite advantages over the FA 77 - faster focus speed and the quick-shift focus override. And you don't have to deal with the purple fringing of the FA 77.

From my experience (corroborated by a few others) the purple fringing issue is seen between f/1.8 and f/4 (and to a much lesser extent until f/8 after which it disappears entirely.) It is much more apparent in certain light conditions than others - very visible in bright sunlight and fluorescent light and much better controlled in muted, overcast light and incandescent light.

The bokeh of the FA 77 is better than that of the DA 70.

In conclusion, both are very good lenses, with the FA 77's slightly greater light gathering capacity and optical performance being offset by focus speed and CA/PF issues.

If you do pick the 70/77, you might also want to consider selling the 40 and picking up the FA 35/2. You gan an additional stop and the lens is super-sharp. Perfectly usable indoors!
05-27-2007, 07:06 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Simon,

I have a DA 70, and it - to my eye - produces the most pleasing images of all my DA and FA lenses. However, I bought it largely because of its small size and to fill out the trio of DA limited lenses, which I use for travel purposes. Were I primarily interested in speed, I'd have to go with an FA 77, which is indisputably the faster of the two.

Also, Nikhil's suggestion of an FA 35/2 is a good one; I use this fast lens a great deal - it's sharp and focuses rapidly, even with Pentax's creaky AF system. If my (also creaky) memory serves, Pentax is coming out with a DA 35 which will be a bit faster and have a built in focusing motor, which could be a terrific choice as a "normal" lens.

Jer

05-27-2007, 07:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Make sure you use a flash when you can too!
05-27-2007, 09:19 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Sounds like FA77 and FA35 (maybe DA35 in the future) is a good choice. I'll probably upgrade my FA50 to FA77 first (I always wanted to own this lens )
05-27-2007, 02:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I use the DA70 and FA35.. I hate flash, but with that combo I find I generally have bo problems...