Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2009, 05:29 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richard64 Quote
I am not sure why you state that this is a new type, these clones have been available for many years.

Three years ago I bought one made by Kood. After using it for a week I found that the adapter had become jammed in my K100D. It took me a while, but eventually I managed to get the lens and adapter out. The screw and leaf spring were inside the camera, but I got them out before they could do any damage. Now I use that adapter without the spring, but it does mean that the adapter can unscrew out of the K mount if I use a lens with a stiff focus. That adapter is now permanently on my Flektogon and I have drilled a hole for the lens release catch...

Richard
Thanks richard and all other contributor!
Hmmm heavy lens could be a big concern as most takumar lens are heavy, isnt it?

anyhow, I would not use the extension tube, so it's not a problem as well.

09-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
I'm not sure why you didn't see the aforementioned "type 2" on various Pentax forums (fora?). It looks similar to the genuine Pentax copy alright, but in use, it's very frustrating. Some noticeable characteristics:

0. You need the tool to remove the adapter from the camera's mount. With the genuine Pentax adapter, you can just use a corner of your thumb nail, or worst case, the tip of a ballpoint pen.

1. It doesn't fit very well in the camera's mount. As the result, the lens, particularly a heavy one, can wiggle in the mount. Parts or all of the photo will be blurry.

2. The material used to make the leaf spring is not of the best quality. Over time, the spring will fail. If the spring fails when the adapter is attached to the lens, you may have a hard time getting it out.

As posted, don't bother with any of the knock-offs. Get the genuine Pentax article.
Soldbear you are always helpful!
Well. i guess i am just ignorant about the different type of adaptor. I thoguht the forum members are always talking about the TYPE1 adaptors.
Now with pictures and verbal confrimation, i can be confident that most of them are not good knock offs.
09-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote
Maybe the price raise come when they have sold out their stock and need to get new ones in. *shrug* Either way. 150$ is too much for a tiny metal ring.
It's not like i dont want to get the genuine adaptor. I've been lurking around ebay trying to get a good deal from time to time, as in canada we cannot buy from pentaxwebsite. =(
05-13-2010, 05:56 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
Get the genuine Pentax one if you don't need a flange; however, if you have auto lenses that don't have an A/M switch, then you really *want* to get a flanged adapter. Alex over at Mflenses.com sells them. I use one with my Carl Zeiss Ultron 50/1.8 and Voigtländer Color-Ultron 50/1.8. A Japanese maker makes an ultra high precision version of the flanged adapter, but that'll run you close to $100.
you can easliy block the mechanism with a small spacer between the base of the lens and the aperture mechanism. I did this on my Tamron M42 Adaptor, using a 1/8 inch spacer made from the end of a ball point pen refil, slit so it could be easily installed and removed (if necessary) Also, the auto diaphram pin you are discussing is inside the screw mount and does not contact the flanged adaptor any way.

QuoteOriginally posted by mcjm78 Quote
I have both types of non-genuine adapters.

For type #2, you can remove the leaf spring by unscrew the little screw shown in the picture. Then you will not need any tool any more. The draw back is that the lens will not lock securely to the camera. So a little twist during lens focus.. and off you go!

I use mine without the spring, but never have any problem, since I typically shoot very slowly when I'm using my MF lenses.
this is a personal risk, there are forum members who have taken out this spring and then posted the results of either dropping the lens or the camera because the two came separated. There are some, who actually take off the spring, but who drill a small hole in the lens mount to engage the lens locking pin. Some have even gone far enough to then glue the adaptor to the lens, making it a stopped down K mount.

As long as you don't plan on reselling th elens to a collector you can do what ever you want.

05-13-2010, 07:34 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

If removing the locking spring causes the lens to rotate in the mount while focusing coat the male threads of the adapter (specifically, the front face of the bayonet tabs) with hard acrlyic fingernail polish to build up enough friction to overcome the problem. One to three light coats should be adequate. Let it dry before use.

H2

Last edited by pacerr; 05-15-2010 at 07:06 AM.
05-13-2010, 07:51 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
Get the genuine Pentax one if you don't need a flange; however, if you have auto lenses that don't have an A/M switch, then you really *want* to get a flanged adapter. Alex over at Mflenses.com sells them. I use one with my Carl Zeiss Ultron 50/1.8 and Voigtländer Color-Ultron 50/1.8. A Japanese maker makes an ultra high precision version of the flanged adapter, but that'll run you close to $100.
There's a company in the UK that will make a special adapter for the auto diaphragm m42 lenses with no A-M switch for ~$45. I thought that was pricey.
05-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
There's a company in the UK that will make a special adapter for the auto diaphragm m42 lenses with no A-M switch for ~$45. I thought that was pricey.
Probably SRB Griturn ?

Made to order

and the only way I can tell my SRB m42 adaptor from my genuine Pentax adaptor is by the different style of writing on the front face.
Their quality seems fine to me, and tha price is way below the genuine ones.

M42 lenses on Pentax K
05-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
Probably SRB Griturn ?

Made to order

and the only way I can tell my SRB m42 adaptor from my genuine Pentax adaptor is by the different style of writing on the front face.
Their quality seems fine to me, and tha price is way below the genuine ones.

M42 lenses on Pentax K

That's the one. I have been thinking about having them make me one of those custom versions and one of the regulars once since it would be on the same shipping.

05-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
i posted something similar in a thread on the same topic recently.

officially, i strongly believe the genuine Pentax adapter is the best.
ok, but now approaching $30, that is nonsense, IMO.
Thus, i ordered the $7.70 Chinese made infinity focus adapter on eBay and it works fine and DOES indeed give you infinity focus. the negative i see is that the lens markings do not line up exactly at 12 o'clock to the camera mount...this may or may not bother you; i am indifferent to it really.
the advantage is that the ring hods tighter to the camera than the genuine adapters so i do not feel like there is a chance of the lens backing out when i aggressively turn the focus ring. because it holds snugly, i see no need to use the latch, and removed them.
so, if you need to buy 4 or 5 M42 adaptors to keep on each of your screwmount lenses and don't want to pay $150, these cheapies just may be the ticket. i bought 3 more of 'em.
05-18-2010, 07:56 AM   #25
Site Supporter

MikeSF,

The thing is, I use one adapter on the body! Secondly, I didn't appreciate needing a damn crowbar to get that Bower piece of shit of of my camera.
05-18-2010, 11:45 AM   #26
Site Supporter

MikeSF,

The thing is, I use one adapter on the body! Secondly, I didn't appreciate needing a damn crowbar to get that Bower piece of shit of of my camera.
are you saying you use M42 lenses exclusively and thus want the camera to be an M42 camera? i use an adapter affixed to each lens.
i must have missed your thread about the bower adapter.

The rings i had success with came from eBay seller "jiakgong"

here is a link to one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230458730596&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Last edited by mikeSF; 05-18-2010 at 12:30 PM.
05-18-2010, 12:07 PM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
are you saying you use M42 lenses exclusively and thus want the camera to be an M42 camera? i use an adapter affixed to each lens.
i must have missed your thread about the bower adapter.

The rings i had success with came from eBay seller "jiakgong"

here is a link to one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=230458730596&view=...d=448771410013
No, I'm saying when I'm using a dSLR for m42 use, I use the adapter mounted to the camera as per the instructions. I use the m42 lenses on my m42 bodies as well. I don't have a need for 1 adapter per m42 lens.

Edit: That item is no longer there.
05-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #28
Site Supporter

No, I'm saying when I'm using a dSLR for m42 use, I use the adapter mounted to the camera as per the instructions. I use the m42 lenses on my m42 bodies as well. I don't have a need for 1 adapter per m42 lens.

Edit: That item is no longer there.
that's what i thought you were saying but i apologize my question wasn't asked very clearly.
there are a couple of ways to go and i really found it a challenge to switch between K mount and M42 lenses on the fly when the lens had to be unscrewed and then the adaptor released from the camera. i decided to go the other way by keeping an adapter affixed to each lens and wherever it makes sense, removing the spring latch so the lens can release bayonet style quickly. the only consideration is certain heavy lenases which could actually fall off while turning the focus ring, in which i leave the latch on the ring for safety. luckily these cheap adapters even help with that problem because they can counter the rotation of a stiff focusing ring.