Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2009, 09:52 PM   #1

New type of generic M42 adaptor?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi guys, to make it short. I am going to list what I see on fleabay.

1. Genuine Pentax Adaptor.

1. Generic adaptor Type 1 - the crappy type

2. Generic adaptor Type 2 - Give you infinite focus! looks like pentax ones, replica?

Question:
I have never see anyone posting pic of the type 2 adaptor on pentax forum, Anyone had ever tried the Type 2 adaptor? Is it the type that give the "stuck and have to turn 360 degree" ones? I am utterly confused right now, I know genuine is the best, but now i see this type, that look just like the original... So, might as well ask! right?

09-29-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It looks like it'd fit flush on a Pentax, so it should give you infinity focus, however yuor honestly better to just spend the $35.00 or so for a Genuine Pentax version. From what I've seen their the best, by far on a Pentax system.
09-29-2009, 10:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AMBIVALENCE Quote
I have never see anyone posting pic of the type 2 adaptor on pentax forum, Anyone had ever tried the Type 2 adaptor? Is it the type that give the "stuck and have to turn 360 degree" ones? I am utterly confused right now, I know genuine is the best, but now i see this type, that look just like the original... So, might as well ask! right?[/B]
I'm not sure why you didn't see the aforementioned "type 2" on various Pentax forums (fora?). It looks similar to the genuine Pentax copy alright, but in use, it's very frustrating. Some noticeable characteristics:

0. You need the tool to remove the adapter from the camera's mount. With the genuine Pentax adapter, you can just use a corner of your thumb nail, or worst case, the tip of a ballpoint pen.

1. It doesn't fit very well in the camera's mount. As the result, the lens, particularly a heavy one, can wiggle in the mount. Parts or all of the photo will be blurry.

2. The material used to make the leaf spring is not of the best quality. Over time, the spring will fail. If the spring fails when the adapter is attached to the lens, you may have a hard time getting it out.

As posted, don't bother with any of the knock-offs. Get the genuine Pentax article.
09-29-2009, 11:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Get the genuine Pentax one if you don't need a flange; however, if you have auto lenses that don't have an A/M switch, then you really *want* to get a flanged adapter. Alex over at Mflenses.com sells them. I use one with my Carl Zeiss Ultron 50/1.8 and Voigtländer Color-Ultron 50/1.8. A Japanese maker makes an ultra high precision version of the flanged adapter, but that'll run you close to $100.

09-30-2009, 12:45 AM   #5

I have both types of non-genuine adapters.

For type #2, you can remove the leaf spring by unscrew the little screw shown in the picture. Then you will not need any tool any more. The draw back is that the lens will not lock securely to the camera. So a little twist during lens focus.. and off you go!

I use mine without the spring, but never have any problem, since I typically shoot very slowly when I'm using my MF lenses.
09-30-2009, 02:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
It looks like it'd fit flush on a Pentax, so it should give you infinity focus, however yuor honestly better to just spend the $35.00 or so for a Genuine Pentax version. From what I've seen their the best, by far on a Pentax system.
Buy all adapters you find for that price. Pentax (Hoya) has increased the price. Last year I bought a new one, cost about 30$. Was going to get another just recently, check the price and it was all of the sudden 150$. I called the store (same as I bought the first) and he was chocked himself and asked to get back to me. He called up later and told me he thought something was wrong, but it was correct. He had called Pentax up and the price reflected on Pentax own prices.

I assume Hoya has decided not to make anymore adapters or something, and rised the price 5 times to be able to keep a stock.
09-30-2009, 03:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Manual Focus Lenses :: View topic - Pentax-k /m42 adapter with inner flange

this is the only adapter with an inner flange to hold in the aperture pin on the lens.

I have one, and unfortunately it has some of the issues in common with what you call type 2...

However, if you compare the bayonet bits to the official adapter (or a real K mount lens) you can see where to appply a bit of Dremel to sculpt these bits. Doing so improves the mechanics.

By far the best adapter is the official Pentax one. You don't need a tool for it by the way. Also, you don't need more than one, unless you want to have >1 camera body with adapter mounted at the same time.

09-30-2009, 03:20 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I've been using the roxsen adapters for several years. Never had a problem.
M42 Lens to Pentax Mount Adapter for K20D K10D K200D - eBay (item 400064804795 end time Oct-28-09 08:20:39 PDT)

If you take out the screw and put a dab of Locktite or cement on it and retighten. The spring will not come loose.
09-30-2009, 03:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Manual Focus Lenses :: View topic - Pentax-k /m42 adapter with inner flange

this is the only adapter with an inner flange to hold in the aperture pin on the lens.

I have one, and unfortunately it has some of the issues in common with what you call type 2...

However, if you compare the bayonet bits to the official adapter (or a real K mount lens) you can see where to appply a bit of Dremel to sculpt these bits. Doing so improves the mechanics.

By far the best adapter is the official Pentax one. You don't need a tool for it by the way. Also, you don't need more than one, unless you want to have >1 camera body with adapter mounted at the same time.
I also got a copy of the m42 adapter from Alex in mflenses forum, I am testing it at the moment. Though the adapter comes with a removal tool, I happen to be able to mount/dismount just using my fingers. The inner ring actually works in depressing the auto-diaphragm pin that would have to be altered as our K-mount bodies don't have a mechanism to depress the pin for manual diaphragm control in stop-down metering. One noted problem that I found is the spring clip is not strong enough to hold a heavy lens and it is easy to over-turn a heavy lens upon mounting making it unsafe to use for heavy lens. I will contact Alex to see if I can try out a new copy.

m42 adapter for auto-mount lenses
with inner ring

[imgwideleft]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3523/3948915943_24979fb6d8_b.jpg[/imgwideleft]

I also have few articles talking about m42 adapter, I mostly recommend the genuine m42 adapter from Pentax. And the 3rd party adapter does have its place especially if you want to convert to K mount

All m42 adapter related blog posts -- Hin's Tech Corner

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 09-30-2009 at 03:35 AM.
09-30-2009, 04:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Am I alone on this? An issue I've experienced using both the Pentax and the non-Pentax M42 adaptors is that they let some light leak into the lens at the body end. This was giving me all sorts of weird flare until I covered it
09-30-2009, 04:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote
Buy all adapters you find for that price. Pentax (Hoya) has increased the price. Last year I bought a new one, cost about 30$. Was going to get another just recently, check the price and it was all of the sudden 150$. I called the store (same as I bought the first) and he was chocked himself and asked to get back to me. He called up later and told me he thought something was wrong, but it was correct. He had called Pentax up and the price reflected on Pentax own prices.

I assume Hoya has decided not to make anymore adapters or something, and rised the price 5 times to be able to keep a stock.
I'm not saying that your wrong, however the Pentax web store still lists them at $30.95 over here

I'm honestly hoping that Hoya doesn't price Pentax right out of the market
However I'm starting to think they are, with the prices of the 50mm f1.4 almost doubling in a couple of weeks, and it sounds like this adapter jumping even higher
09-30-2009, 05:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Maybe the price raise come when they have sold out their stock and need to get new ones in. *shrug* Either way. 150$ is too much for a tiny metal ring.
09-30-2009, 05:45 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AMBIVALENCE Quote
Question:
I have never see anyone posting pic of the type 2 adaptor on pentax forum, Anyone had ever tried the Type 2 adaptor? Is it the type that give the "stuck and have to turn 360 degree" ones? I am utterly confused right now, I know genuine is the best, but now i see this type, that look just like the original... So, might as well ask! right?
I am not sure why you state that this is a new type, these clones have been available for many years.

Three years ago I bought one made by Kood. After using it for a week I found that the adapter had become jammed in my K100D. It took me a while, but eventually I managed to get the lens and adapter out. The screw and leaf spring were inside the camera, but I got them out before they could do any damage. Now I use that adapter without the spring, but it does mean that the adapter can unscrew out of the K mount if I use a lens with a stiff focus. That adapter is now permanently on my Flektogon and I have drilled a hole for the lens release catch.

Since then I have bought a genuine Pentax adapter and a couple of other clones. I use the genuine adapter the most and I have <b>never</b> had any problem with the leaf spring coming off. In my opinion this is the best adapter to use.

The two clones I bought on eBay both arrived without the spring or the screw to attach it. Clearly the previous owners had had the same problem as me. One of them was a perfect copy of the Pentax adapter (I think it was a Kood adapter, but the paint has rubbed off) and that works fine as long as I have a hole drilled in the M42 lens to prevent it from unscrewing from the K mount.

The other clone adapter is unusable. The flanges are <i>slightly</i> smaller than the genuine article and consequently when inserted in the K mount it only just stops when screwed in. However, if I move the lens (eg using a stiff focus) the adapter turns a bit more in the mount and after that it is loose. As I said, it is unusable.

So, in my opinion the Kood adapter is a cheap alternative as long as you remove the spring and you take some steps to lock the lens to the body. The problem is determining from an eBay picture whether the adapter is a perfect copy, or the slightly-smaller-flange copy. If it is very cheap then you can afford to throw it away if it proves to be unusable.

By the way. There is one case when the genuine adapter does not work. I have a set of genuine Asahi M42 extension tubes and the shortest one when screwed into the genuine adapter does not screw in enough for the back face of the tube to come in contact with the K mount face. This contact is important because the friction keeps the tube firmly in place. This combination - genuine adapter and genuine #1 extension tube - means that the tube is not firmly in place and wobbles. I found that when I used the Kood adapter I could screw the tube in enough to get a contact between the tube and the K mount. (In fact I don't bother - I use a Practika M42 extension tube with the genuine adapter.)

Richard
09-30-2009, 06:12 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Am I alone on this? An issue I've experienced using both the Pentax and the non-Pentax M42 adaptors is that they let some light leak into the lens at the body end. This was giving me all sorts of weird flare until I covered it
Hmmm, the only explanation I can think of is that there is not enough thread on the lens to screw it into the adapter enough to get contact between the back face of the lens and the K mount. I have this problem with one of my lenses (and with an extension tube) with the genuine adapter. I find that one of my clone adapters (Kood) does allow the lens to be screwed in completely. However, I have to say that with all of my Takumars they screw into the genuine adapter far enough for there to be contact between the lens and mount.

Richard
09-30-2009, 04:44 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Here's a recent thread on the other forum about the danger of "type 2" adapter:

DISASTER - M42 adapter stuck in mount...please help
Closed Thread