Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2009, 03:58 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
35mm dilemma

Hi,
I'm about to make a choice, but I'm short on time... and I need help! I can't make up my mind! I want to buy a 35mm lens but found two: CZJ Flektogon 35/2.4 and Pentax-A 35/2.8.

Which one would You choose and why? Any suggestions?

Thanks

09-30-2009, 04:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Although I don't have either the Pentax is rated pretty high in the reviews. See here
09-30-2009, 04:29 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I know the Flektogon. You do know it's a M42 lens, do you? It's a superb 35mm lens which will go much closer than the Pentax-A, sort of pseudo-macro.

However, Carl Zeiss Jenas tend to get sticky apertures. Make sure the Flektogon has a working aperture before you decide to buy it.

Sorry, I do not have the 35mm A lens, but it seems fairly rare to me?
09-30-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Any particular reason you are limiting your choices to those two fairly obscure choices?

09-30-2009, 01:25 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank You all for the answers. I do realize that pentax-a 35/2.8 is a 'rare' lens and I do know about m42 in case of flek. The reason I'm asking for help is peeking the differences between those two such as mfd or quality in terms of built and photos. ..and the reason I am limiting my choice to these two is price and preference for mf over af lenses Simply, I cannot afford to get anything with "Limited" label
Both lenses seem to be good and close to normal on dslr. Unfortunately, there is not many descriptions available on the net, regarding eg. flek 35/2.4 + pentax dslr.

I'd be grateful for any info on experience with those lenses with pentax dslr.
10-01-2009, 03:51 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I had the A 35 f/2.8 for a period of time. The build is typical "A" lens, but personally I found the lens boring and didn't use it. I then upgraded to the FA35 f/2 and found the exact same thing within the year - boring lens.

If 35mm focal length works for you (it didn't for me - I shoot people/children) I can't see you going wrong with the "A" lens. If you've used any of the M or A lenses before you will know exactly what to expect...

c[_]
10-01-2009, 10:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by haystack Quote
Thank You all for the answers. I do realize that pentax-a 35/2.8 is a 'rare' lens and I do know about m42 in case of flek. The reason I'm asking for help is peeking the differences between those two such as mfd or quality in terms of built and photos. ..and the reason I am limiting my choice to these two is price and preference for mf over af lenses Simply, I cannot afford to get anything with "Limited" label
Right, but unless you have found a source for an unusually great deal n the A35/2.8, it's not likely to be much if any cheaper than, say, the M35/2 ($150 in EX condition at KEH).
10-02-2009, 09:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

haystack, I'd have to agree with the comments about 35mm lens on APS C cameras; the FOV is @52mm equivalent and, like a 50mm lens on FF cameras, it's kinda' boring. It does have it's uses though as does a 50 on FF. I have the A 35/2 and I plan on keeping it, but it doesn't see much use so far. I'd suggest considering a 28mm for the slightly wider FOV. I have the A 28/2.8 which is a fine little lens, though a little bland color/contrast-wise compared to other Pentax lenses. I'm now lusting for a 24mm because the equivalent FOV, 36mm, was always my favorite.

gl and hth

10-02-2009, 09:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StevenVH Quote
I'm now lusting for a 24mm because the equivalent FOV, 36mm, was always my favorite.
Feeling the same way, I recently picked up a 24mm f:2.8 SMC K. It's perfect as a walkaround general wide angle. They can usually be had for around $200.
10-02-2009, 11:31 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the 35mm f/2.4 lens. There is actually a thread on this site about it on Pentax DSLRs. You should be able to search and find it. I have this one and a K 35mm f/2 and love them both.
10-02-2009, 08:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

So, what did you decide?

Anyway, this thread doesn't have any photos! And I was motivated to use the A 35/2, so....

cheers
10-02-2009, 09:37 PM   #12

I didn't realize that the A35 f/2.8 was a rare lens. I've had mine for a while, it worked great with film on my ZX-5N, and works great on digital as well. I like the lens. The only reason I don't use it more is because I have the DA40, and usually just grab that for the fast autofocus.
10-04-2009, 08:11 AM   #13

Original Poster
Wow! Thanks for all replies.
..it's true, 35 may be boring but it's the one my eyes are hungry for. Sth less dangerous than lba though
I already have 24 Vivtar from Komine(I guess)and although it shows up some deformations on dslr(which I use the most lately) it seems to be really good on film. As for the CZJ 35/2.4, I was hoping to get one for a long time, especially for its mfd. I can't say if it's fast, but seems to be reasonable. On the other hand, in my country genuine pentax lenses(A,M,K) like 35/2 or 24/2.8 cost far far more than 300$ which is to much for my budget.

Reading Your posts I made up my mind and hopefully, soon I will have CZJ. If I found A35/2.8 for as much as 35/2,4 I wouldn't hesitate...
Anyway, when I get one I'll post some shots for You.

Thanks for help!
05-27-2010, 02:15 PM   #14

Original Poster
long time no see...
Finally, I bought 35mm and it's M-35/2.8. Unfortunately(but luckily) it came with a 'lazy' aperture and although in mint condition, I had to use screwdriver.. Knowing what is wrong I managed to get another copy of M-35/2. but this time it was a complete mess.. with one exception - it had a broken aperture lever I've put the broken lever in place of the good one in the first lens and voila! The shiny M-35/2.8 with preselected aperture ;P
It works like a charm in Av and here is a result(with yellow filter attached):

Still looking for the best application for this lens, but as long as it's close to normal on dslr(~52mm) I find it quite good outdoors.

btw
Thank you all for previous oppinions and tips in choosing 35mm. Unfortunately, this time I couldn't afford to get CZJ or anything close to A-35/2.

Cheers
05-27-2010, 06:33 PM   #15

I don't agree with most posts that 35mm is boring, why should it, get yourselves the f*** a fisheye

A few months ago I got hands on a 35mm/3.5, K-series, and apart from it's incredible sharpnes I sometimes like the focal length even more than my 40mm/2.8 DA!

You did a great job on the two lenses btw, and the pic is very nice.......

Not boring at all , it's just the feel of a standard 50 or 55 mm on a filmcamera, and I like that feel very much.........