Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2009, 10:54 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Dg dl apo?

Hey all, new to all of this and am looking at getting some glass for the K20D in the very near future. I just wanted to know what the deal is with APO and the different DL and DG lenses out there. I'm particularly interested in a 70-300mm macro DL or a 70-300mm macro DG APO. Obviously (just by looking at the price), the DG APO is a better lens, but is is THAT much better?

I'm just a beginner in all of this and wanted to get some low cost glass to play with and I guess I just want some opinions on if the DL lens will work for me. I've seen sample shot from both lenses and they both look great (even some of the DL's look better IMO).

09-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
not so sure what DL stands for, the sigma lenses APO stands for aprochromatic, and DG stands for full frame, DC is used for ASP-C sensors.

DG lenses may cost more because they have to make images to the larger image circle of a 35mm frame (36x24mm) as opposed to ASP-C frame (roughly 24 x 16mm)
09-30-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The more acronyms a manufacturers puts on the lens, the better they want you to think it is. But really, they don't translate into anything you need to care about. Just because a lens is marked APO (or whatever) doens't make automatically than one that isn't, since there are so many other variable involved. Ignore the acronyms, and buy the lens based on basic specs (focal length, aperture, size, weight, etc) and samples / reviews, not arcane technical details of what kind of glass was used or whatever.
09-30-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Between those two lenses mentioned, there is very little discernible difference in image quality. DGs were designed in the digital era whereas the DL one wasn't - as Marc says, this means little.

Starting off, sure, one of those consumer zooms may do you for a while, but you'll find with both of those the image quality at the long end waning. You may be better off just getting a Pentax DA 55-300 instead (but that's just my opinion). It's a little more expensive, but is significantly sharper, better contrasted and renders colours much better than all the other 70-300 offerings.

09-30-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by areinike Quote
Hey all, new to all of this and am looking at getting some glass for the K20D in the very near future. I just wanted to know what the deal is with APO and the different DL and DG lenses out there. I'm particularly interested in a 70-300mm macro DL or a 70-300mm macro DG APO. Obviously (just by looking at the price), the DG APO is a better lens, but is is THAT much better?

I'm just a beginner in all of this and wanted to get some low cost glass to play with and I guess I just want some opinions on if the DL lens will work for me. I've seen sample shot from both lenses and they both look great (even some of the DL's look better IMO).
Here's what Sigma has on its web site:

Sigma - Lenses - Overview

If that doesn't bring up the right page, click "Overview" in the menu of pages on the left.

Will
09-30-2009, 02:52 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks all. I was kind of hoping to get a 70-300mm but saw a Pentax 100-300mm lens at a decent price. Think I'll notice a huge difference between the 70mm and 100mm focals?
09-30-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, there is a decent gap between 70 and 100mm that you will notice when you look through the viewfinder. But it all depends what you're shooting with the lens as to whether you'll want the extra range in the short end.

09-30-2009, 07:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

As Marc said, check the reviews for a specific lens. Pentax made a decent 100-300, and they also made a real lemon (I've got it). The lens review database on this site is a great starting point. Pentax has it's own lens terminology, and this site gives the best description of them.
10-01-2009, 03:02 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Excellent. I've actually sucked it up and decided to save my pennies for either the Pentax 55-300mm or a Tamron or around the same. For some odd dumb reason, I think I really want a Macro option. Maybe get the Pentax 55-300mm and a separate Macro lens ... lower cost? I don't know .. here I go ... LBA ...
10-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The Sigma Macro option is at best close up and not really worth bothering with. I have a 70-300mm Sigma macro sitting on the shelf and not getting used since the 55-300 turned up. Keep your eyes out for an early Vivitar series 1 70-210 f3.5, they are a much better macro option and will give you change for $100.
10-01-2009, 05:14 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You may find the 55-300 a nice versatile zoom which is auto-focus. If you really want a macro lens on the cheap, go for a separate, dedicated manual focus macro within your budget, but do make sure it's a 1:1 macro. A few of these have been known to pop up in the marketplace and eBay. All that you need to do is choose the focal length - the 50 and 100mm lengths are generally the most common, and are both good.
10-01-2009, 10:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

No zoom lens with the word "macro" in its name is really much of a macro lens. Might focus a little closer than other zooms, but not worth putting high on the lsit of features. You'd get more magnification putting a $50 Raynox adapter (150 or 250) in front of any telephoto lens.