Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2009, 11:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How much "broken" can be fixed?

I can't seem to catch a break. When I went to take my camera out of my bag, I found my DA*50-135 literally busted inside the bag, attached to my camera. Like physically broken broken, bent slightly sideways, broken before and after the zoom ring. It looks like it was hit really really hard but I have no idea what happened. Last I saw it was when I put it in there two days ago.

Yes I am totally sick about it.

So is this kind of "broken" fixable? Unfortunately it's my most often used lens and I need it for this weekend's shooting. I ordered another one (which I can't afford but did anyway) on speedy shipping. But I'm wondering if this can be fixed, a back up might not be a bad thing to have given my track record of "luck" that I've experienced lately.

Thanks for any ideas on this.

09-30-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like it may be too "broken" to be fixed. Sticky apertures, bad connections, fingus and even damaged mounts can be fixed, I think a really broken housing may be terminal. If you post a picture we can see how bad it is though.
09-30-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Mel, you've been like a magnet to disaster. How is the camera body?
09-30-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Replacement parts for the broken components whatever they are would probably do the trick but once factoring in parts costs and labour not neccessarily cost effective.

09-30-2009, 01:52 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Doesn't sound good Mel.
The lens itself being bent?
That sounds like the result of a deliberate act.
Hope things work out well for you in the end.
09-30-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah the too broken to be reasonably fixed for considerable savings over a new one is kind of the way I see it. It looks like it was hit from the top. The lens mount on the camera seems fine and I put the DA*16-50 on and tried some focusing and a few shots and it seems to work as it should.

'
QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
Mel, you've been like a magnet to disaster. How is the camera body?
I have you know. And to top it all off I lost the 50+ year old selenium light meter (still working) that i use with my 50+ year old Leica rangefinder over the weekend in NYC.

The weird part is, I put the lens and camera in the bag, everything fine, on Monday. I take it out on Wednesday, the lens is totally busted and the top of the camera body has a ding/scratch by upper lcd screen. I didn't touch it in the inbetween time. With the location of the scratch, I would have noticed you know? It's right there. Someone was probably messing with my stuff.
09-30-2009, 02:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter

This happened "inside" a padded camera bag? You don't remember backing over the bag in the driveway or anything? Did some 6th graders play cops and robbers or CIS with it?

Edit: As far as the selenium meter goes, that may not be as expensive to replace because there are a lot of them out there that are still working and relatively cheap.
09-30-2009, 02:04 PM   #8
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
This happened "inside" a padded camera bag? You don't remember backing over the bag in the driveway or anything? Did some 6th graders play cops and robbers or CIS with it?
No kidding right? The ding on the top had some whitish stuff on it too, which has come off, leaving a scratch in the upper lcd and a slight ding in the plastic next to it.

And if I ran over it I must of done so in my sleep. Believe me, I'm baffled. Looking at the lens, it would really take a lot to do this.

09-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

How many other people have access to the bag? I'd start down that investigative track to see if any will own up once questioned.

Best of luck!
09-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I've only got one thing to say Mel, and that is "Darn"

Last edited by jimH; 09-30-2009 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Changed my explitive to something less dingable
09-30-2009, 03:18 PM   #11
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fixcinater Quote
How many other people have access to the bag? I'd start down that investigative track to see if any will own up once questioned.

Best of luck!
If anything it was kids which means I'll probably never know and I'll still have to pay. I kept the secret of how a window broke from my parents for a good 20 years. I'm leaving out in a prominent place so all can see it's broken. Maybe guilt will happen? But thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
I've only got one thing to say Mel, and that is "Damn"

Yes I said that one. And a bunch of other ones too.
09-30-2009, 03:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
If anything it was kids which means I'll probably never know and I'll still have to pay. I kept the secret of how a window broke from my parents for a good 20 years. I'm leaving out in a prominent place so all can see it's broken.
Sorry to hear about your breakage Mel

Now you know why your parents told you
QuoteQuote:
Grandchildren are our Revenge on you
And like so many people you didn't listen until it was too late
09-30-2009, 04:31 PM   #13
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Sorry to hear about your breakage Mel

Now you know why your parents told you
And like so many people you didn't listen until it was too late

my revenge on them may be faking premature senility forcing them to take care of me, and "accidently" breaking THEIR stuff in retaliation.

or not. i'll just spend what paltry inheritance they may have gotten on photographic toys for myself.
09-30-2009, 05:14 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
I can't seem to catch a break. When I went to take my camera out of my bag, I found my DA*50-135 literally busted inside the bag, attached to my camera. Like physically broken broken, bent slightly sideways, broken before and after the zoom ring. It looks like it was hit really really hard but I have no idea what happened. Last I saw it was when I put it in there two days ago.

Yes I am totally sick about it.

So is this kind of "broken" fixable? Unfortunately it's my most often used lens and I need it for this weekend's shooting. I ordered another one (which I can't afford but did anyway) on speedy shipping. But I'm wondering if this can be fixed, a back up might not be a bad thing to have given my track record of "luck" that I've experienced lately.

Thanks for any ideas on this.
I would send it in to Pentax and have them do an estimate. It may be repairable. My daughter knocked my three day old K10 off the counter top and it shattered the LCD as well as broke some plastic. I thought it was totalled, but Pentax charged me about $200 to repair. I checked with my credit card company and since I purchased it on the card they paid for it. There was some sort of automatic theft/damage insurance on new purchases. If you recently purchased your lens with a credit card, you might check into it. Your homeowner's insurance also might pay for it.
09-30-2009, 06:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

You need to get yourself a better bag to keep your gear...