Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2007, 05:38 PM   #1
Forum Member

Anyone own the 40mm and 43mm

I asked this question over at DPreview, but most people over there have owned one or the other.

I would like to know if anyone has owned both and whether you were able to subjectively tell the difference between the pictured from them. Particularly in the area of "3Dness".

Also, if you traded one in for the other...why?

Thanks in advance!

05-26-2007, 11:25 AM   #2

I sure you are referring to the KAF lenses, but I have the Pentax SMC-M 40mm f2.8 (KA).

To be honest, I've never used it! I received it in a large lot of lenses. I hear it isn't very good, but I'll give it a try and let you know.

Are you interested in knowing for a film camera or a digital camera?

Last edited by LV Dan; 05-26-2007 at 12:25 PM.
05-27-2007, 07:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
40 Limited

QuoteOriginally posted by loganross Quote
I asked this question over at DPreview, but most people over there have owned one or the other.

I would like to know if anyone has owned both and whether you were able to subjectively tell the difference between the pictured from them. Particularly in the area of "3Dness".

Also, if you traded one in for the other...why?

Thanks in advance!
I own the 40 Limited and it is an incredinly sharp lens. I recently used it exclusively for a Fashion shoot. The still life was shot with the Pentax 100 DA Macro. I highly recommend it.

Here is the sample.

Last edited by benjikan; 02-07-2013 at 06:03 PM.
05-27-2007, 12:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I own both the 40 and the 43 limiteds. I have used the 43 more and find the sharpness of this lens to be perhaps the best of any lens I own. I have not found bizarre OOF areas, but then again I do not shoot a lot of shallow DOF images. What I have done with this lens has been fine at large aps.

I use the 43 along with the 31 as a walk around lens.

The 40 Ltd. appears (with my limited use of it so far) to have all the benefits that the 43 has, but may demonstrate a more consistent large ap bokeh. Photozone reported a more consistant sharpness across the f-stop range than the 43 though the 43 was noticably sharper.

When you (and others) talk about 3D quality I know what you are talking about. However, my personal feeling is that no lens can render a 3D image. In reality it is only the lighting on a subject that is capable of (the illusion) of3D with the added presence of a smooth transitioning of the bokeh.

Now, to get those qualities generally requires higher quality lenses with killer optics, special glass and a greater than usual number of shutter blades. Both these lenses fall into this category. Therefore their image output is in the top of their range for image output.

From a practical use point of view, contrary to what everyone says, it is hard not to be obtrusive with a K10D (with or without grip ) when put on the tiny 4 oz. 40mm. But, it is wonderfully light and the picture quality is excellent. The 43 marries beautifully to the K10D and construction does not get any better. It weighs more but balances very well on the camera. The image output is second to none.

If I have a chance I will do some simple bokeh tests with them in the next week or so and post them here for you to see. Come to think of it, I would like to compare them head to head too

Stephen

05-27-2007, 12:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
About i year ago there was a comparision of both lenses on dpreview. The shots were night shots taken on tripod. Maybe a search will find it. The lenses were both good but had a different look. This came across even on the monitor! The 40 is a great lens. Haven't seen a 43 - yet.
thanks
barondla
05-27-2007, 10:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
About i year ago there was a comparision of both lenses on dpreview. The shots were night shots taken on tripod. Maybe a search will find it. The lenses were both good but had a different look. This came across even on the monitor! The 40 is a great lens. Haven't seen a 43 - yet.
thanks
barondla
From the reading in DPR threads, the bokeh from Da 40 ltd could be a little bit chalky comparing to Fa 43 ltd. Fa 43 ltd performs differently in low K temperature environment projecting the 3D feel better than Da 40 ltd. Otherwise there is little difference.

I read a report from pentax engineer on line stating that no one knows how Fa 43 ltd performs in a way that makes some of its images so 3D. The engineers basicly trial and error with various assembly of optics to get the desired effects they had wanted. Something along the line.

Cheers