Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Stiff Focus Ring

I have a Helios 44-2 with a stiff focus ring. Are there any easy solutions that don't involve dismantling?

10-01-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The easyest and cheepest way with this lens is to buy another one.
10-01-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I have a second one (actually my first one) that focuses easier. Just checking to see if there was a quick fix.
10-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Several things can cause a stiff focus ring including, common faults are:
Sand - focus feels "gritty"
Dent - focus is stiff in places
Lack of lubricant - just stiff
This is probably as good a lens as any to learn DIY lens repair on, especially as a professional repair will be a lot more then the lens is worth.

04-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #5
Pentaxian

sorry to dredge up an old thread, but want to add a post in case someone (like i did) searches this forum with the same problem.

I bought a Helios 44-2 which was apparently in great condition except that the ring was very stiff. i could not focus quickly and often my focusinf force caused the lens to unscrew from the mount. The seller told me to warm it and work it, yadda yadda, which seemed to temporarily help, but was not a suitable solution.

I unscrewed three screws holding the focus ring grip after noting the exact position of the screws relative to the M42 base. the grip comes off easily and exposes the helical focus screw. i applied a small bit of lighter fluid and used a swab to remove the aged gunk until it was shiny silver again. then applied some white lithium grease to the threads and reassembled.

this took 30min and the lens is good as new. it focuses quickly and very easily. it is silky smooth.

try it!
04-12-2010, 09:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Where do you get white lithium grease?

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
sorry to dredge up an old thread, but want to add a post in case someone (like i did) searches this forum with the same problem.

I bought a Helios 44-2 which was apparently in great condition except that the ring was very stiff. i could not focus quickly and often my focusinf force caused the lens to unscrew from the mount. The seller told me to warm it and work it, yadda yadda, which seemed to temporarily help, but was not a suitable solution.

I unscrewed three screws holding the focus ring grip after noting the exact position of the screws relative to the M42 base. the grip comes off easily and exposes the helical focus screw. i applied a small bit of lighter fluid and used a swab to remove the aged gunk until it was shiny silver again. then applied some white lithium grease to the threads and reassembled.

this took 30min and the lens is good as new. it focuses quickly and very easily. it is silky smooth.

try it!
04-12-2010, 09:34 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
Where do you get white lithium grease?
Micro-Tools has grease meant for use on camera lenses, in three weights. I bought the "light" version, $25 if I remember right. It's much lighter than typical manual focus grease. It seems more appropriate for auto-focus lenses. It comes in a container that looks tiny, but you could completely regrease many lenses with it.

If you are buying something from an auto parts store (way cheaper), I would look for something labeled "light" and high-temperature.