Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2009, 07:33 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry, I got off on a tangent that had nothing to do with the original question.

Last edited by Eaglerapids; 10-02-2009 at 08:05 PM.
10-03-2009, 02:41 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Any chance of a couple of simple comparison shots M 100/2.8 vs K 105/2.8 Marc?
It would be informative. I was of the opinion the K 105/2.8 was a gem.
I don't have the K105/2.8, so I can't post comparison shots of my own. One of the comparisons I saw was somewhere on the web that I'm sure I'd never find again. The other, though, was right here on this forum, a few months ago:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/57623-vintage-...-shootout.html

Note I'm not saying I thought the M won over the K by a *lot* - just that the difference was about as big as I ever see between two similar primes.

BTW, I the comments about inconsistencies in the focus ring got my wondering, so I gave all my M lenses a test. What I found is that if I squeeze the barrel while turning, I can indeed make it rub and "catch" a little. And I could imagine some rough handling might make that permanent.
10-04-2009, 08:01 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote

BTW, I the comments about inconsistencies in the focus ring got my wondering, so I gave all my M lenses a test. What I found is that if I squeeze the barrel while turning, I can indeed make it rub and "catch" a little. And I could imagine some rough handling might make that permanent.
I sent a K50 to Eric to diagnose just that kind of problem. He repaired a very slight impact area on the focusing ring - wasn't visually apparent - but even after the repair, sensitive as I am about it - I believe I can still feel it.

Wondering if these M lenses might be ore susceptible to slight impact damage?

Unfortunately for the comparison I can't add much because I have tried not to overlap focal lengths.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-04-2009 at 08:09 PM.
10-05-2009, 12:59 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Wondering if these M lenses might be ore susceptible to slight impact damage?
M series are all aluminum, most K series (SMC takumars with K mount) have brass in their focus heliocoid.

10-05-2009, 07:47 AM   #20

I have a couple of K lenses (see signature) and I love them. Besides the IQ I think the shear joy of working with these finely made objects makes a difference. We all know, that the biggest factor in photography is the photographer, and I think shooting with a K prime is a different experience from say a DA* zoom.

I have some M-lenses too, but it's just not the same.
10-05-2009, 07:53 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glasbak Quote
M series are all aluminum, most K series (SMC takumars with K mount) have brass in their focus heliocoid.
Interesting, I've never heard that, but that would certainly help explain why the K's and Taks are soooo smooth to use.

However, I must say, that my M85/2 is also exceptionally smooth (feels like a K50/1.2 that I had at one point, which was just buttery smooth), moreso than any other M lens I have ever used. I wonder if some of the more expensive M lenses received the build quality? Or it could be that my M85/2 was always treated very well and never had any impacts to affect the helicoid. Who knows, but I love it!