Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2009, 05:44 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for posting, this may expedite my sending in my EX 100-300. I just want to get it sparkling clean again.

10-04-2009, 07:49 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
I 'd vote for their service in Ronkonkoma, NY
While I agree, I also can add a positive for the C.R.I.S. Service Center in AZ. I sent my 10-20 into the NY center but they were really back logged so to speed things up, they sent it to the AZ center, never told me BTW, anyway, I called and found out...I would have sent it to AZ had I known, but the AZ center had to wait for parts from Japan (not uncommon from my experience and reading) and I still had it back in 2-weeks from the time CRIS in AZ had the lens.

That is actually why I was pleased to read of Pentax using the same center, C.R.I.S. in AZ as their US service center...everyone I know has had wonderful results with them and their Sigma lenses sent in, so I see no reason it would be different for Pentax lenses/gear.
03-05-2010, 08:49 AM   #18
Inactive Account

bravo sigma

I'm just resurrecting this old thread to express thanks to Sigma and Maxwell 1295. I had a wonderful experience with walk-in service at their repair facility in Ronkonkoma, LI, near my home. I had a a 24-60 2.8 that seemed to work pretty well on my old K100, but just didn't hack it on the new K-x, which seems to be more revealing of flaws in IQ. Also a bit of of front focus issue.
Anyway, I read about the facility here, and drove out for a look (15 minutes away, eat your heart out). The tech took a look at lens on the bench, said it was front focusing, and basically unrepairable--it couldn't be rechipped since the 24-60 has been discontinued. I was offered full credit towards purchase of a new 24-70, but when it turned out they didn't have any new in stock (they don't sell lenses here) he offered me a "nearly new" unit in perfect condition as a even swap.
Then came the really cool part of the deal: he said if I left the camera overnight, he'd calibrate the lens to my body. Sigma, as you know, has to reverse engineer the Pentax lenses, and little niggling incompatibilities can arise with new models. The stuff you buy is calibrated to a generic K mount; you can send in a lens and specify you camera model, at which point their use that specific model for calibration. Or you can ship them the lens and the camera, for an absolute perfect match. You can read a more technical explanation of all this at
https://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.12.22/this-lens-is-soft-and-other-myths

Anyway, what I got back the next morning was like a new camera. Nice sharp focus, as I expected. What I didn't expect was that the focus speed improved dramatically. Absolutely snaps and locks on instantly. Particularly interesting--if you look at the reviews on Fred Miranda, the 24-60 is generally ranked a little higher than the 24-70, mostly because it is said to be slow to focus. Well, not my copy.

Definitely read "This lens is soft and other myths."
03-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good story. It kinda makes me want to send my K-7 and all my Sigma lenses to NY just to make sure the are all in top form. I don't have any complaints though.

03-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #20
Inactive Account

I think I'm going to post portions of the lens calibration article on a separate thread, it's going to get lost here. Absolutely flabbergasting.
09-23-2010, 02:51 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow thats fantastic! Wish we had the same Sigma service in NZ. I had to send my 17-70 in due to random focus issues and being soft on distant subjects. So far it has been over 4 weeks and have just heard that it needed to be sent to Australia for repair.
Yes I know that some of the Pentax service can be worse but still...
Will report back on the repair - hopefully it won't be too much longer. I will be really cross if its not right when I get it back.
09-24-2010, 05:46 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Now that it looks like Sigma is getting into WR, I might consider them again.