Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
Igilligan

I need to cull the herd...

To all the folks that sell lenses...

I have way to many old MF lenses... and a few AF ones as well. I got to get rid of a bunch.

How do you all decide what stays and what goes. I have some that I just will not get rid of even if I change systems. So they stay. I have some K mount stuff that will stay like the cosina 1.2.
And I have many that I like but don't use often, some I love that I don't use often...

I started separating them into three piles: no way - maybe - bye bye

But the bye bye lenses keep coming back to the maybe pile... and unfortunately the only ones that stay in the 'bye bye' pile would probably not make me nickel.

As of right now I am just frustrated with the whole culling process

10-02-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Whelp...I don't have a lot of lenses, but any lens that I don't routinely use gets sold. Simple.

My adage is...I'd rather someone have the lens that is going to use it and love it then keep it on a shelf and stare at it longingly.

That being said, I'm not a lens collector either...so YMMV.

c[_]
10-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
As of right now I am just frustrated with the whole culling process
It's your subconscious telling you that you're about to make a mistake, seriously:-).
10-02-2009, 06:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have only added to this point, but just think about what's reasonable...and then forget it, and sell only the ones you know you don't use for specific purposes, or whatever you don't make "good" use of.

10-02-2009, 06:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Send me all of your MF lenses and I will try them out for you....then I will keep the ones I want and keep the ones you want!
10-02-2009, 06:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

My general rule for everything i own: If it hasn't been used for a year, out it goes
10-02-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I've never really had a problem selling lenses that don't get much use. Usually it's because I'm selling them to pay for items that will get more use, or at least serve a specific purpose. The lenses I have now and will definitely keep are those I regularly take out to use, or those that serve a specific purpose independent of the amount of use. All other lenses I buy but don't often use, which is a pretty good number, I sell.

If you don't need the money why not just hang on to the lenses that are maybes, and sell the ones you are comfortable selling because they get no use. You may develop LSA and the problem will be solved

10-02-2009, 07:53 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But the bye bye lenses keep coming back to the maybe pile...
Yep, me, too. I admire (envy) the folks who are tough enough to sell good lenses.

The thing is, I keep discovering (and rediscovering) them and learning more about what they can deliver. Also, I know that, within a year of a sale, I'm going to to be somewhere thinking, "Damn! If only I hadn't sold that lens--it would be perfect for this shot."
10-02-2009, 09:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Even if they won't make me much, I like to get rid of the definite "bye bye" lenses. I've even given some stuff to a local charity just to have it not cluttering my desk and my life. Someone else needs or wants it, they can decide to use it or not. if I am not using it and don't love it, out it goes.

The harder categories are "Like but only use rarely" and "love but almost never use". I don't sell the latter, especially stuff I will almost certainly ever find again. Right now I have no use for a soft fast 85mm, but I am hanging onto it because I might someday, and it is neat. On the other hand, could I stick with 1 or 2 35-70 zooms instead of rotating through a bunch? Yeah some of them have to go.

Overabundance of lenses is a strange malady, but real nonetheless.
10-02-2009, 09:14 PM   #10

How about this idea... create piles of lens combinations, such as a wide, normal, and tele for different types of shooting and then figure out what doesn't quite "fit" into your schemes... then once you're done, mix them up and start over... fun for hours. Seriously, though. I find that I keep lenses more for just a nice stroll and a unique view of the world. Duplicates are the hardest to justify keeping.
10-02-2009, 11:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

You know you'll only kick yourself for selling them and then end up paying twice as much to get reunited with old friends.
10-02-2009, 11:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

unfortunately the only ones that stay in the 'bye bye' pile would probably not make me nickel.
I'm kinda broke for this month, however I wouldn't mind seeing this list Gus,
I may be able to scrape something up for one or 2.
What doesn't work for you may just be an ideal lens for me
10-03-2009, 05:12 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

how many lenses do you have and can you put them on a road map?

i did one for my system a while ago. before recommending what to sell and keep, where do they fit?

10-03-2009, 06:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

This is what estate sales are for.

After you're dead is soon enough to part with them.
10-03-2009, 06:34 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Whelp...I don't have a lot of lenses, but any lens that I don't routinely use gets sold. Simple.

My adage is...I'd rather someone have the lens that is going to use it and love it then keep it on a shelf and stare at it longingly.

That being said, I'm not a lens collector either...so YMMV.

c[_]
My approach as well... Dave