Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #1

Aperture Ring Stuck on Promura 20mm

I got a Promura (yeah, a random third-party brand from the 70's that no one seems to know who actually made the lenses) 20mm f/2.8 k-mount for my Pentax K1000. When I first mounted it on the camera I noticed that the aperture ring seemed to get stuck when I put it at A past f/22. I quickly realized that pushing in a small pin next to it would unlock the aperture ring.

When using it to take some pictures with my friends, one of them changed the aperture and went past f/22, but it wouldn't unlock at all. No matter how much I try, it will not budge. Just trying to looking in the back of the lens, I can't tell if the click-stop level is just stuck, the pin is past where it should be to unlock the ring, or if one of the springs or mechanisms snapped inside of the lens.

I removed the screws on the side and got the aperture ring part of the lens off, but that wasn't enough to get to the pin. I started to remove some of the screws to get to the pin but one of them is so stripped that it's impossible to get it out.

I was hoping that someone would have some suggestions as to how to fix the aperture ring, or if there's a specific tool I can get to remove that stripped screw and try to figure out how to fix the ring.

Thank you.

10-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can try a screw extractor. Not sure the size of your screw but the below might work.
Amazon.com: Moody Screw Extractor & Screw- driver, Mini, Aluminum, 6 Pc: Home Improvement
10-02-2009, 10:43 PM   #3
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Asyndeton Quote
I got a Promura (yeah, a random third-party brand from the 70's that no one seems to know who actually made the lenses) 20mm f/2.8 k-mount for my Pentax K1000. When I first mounted it on the camera I noticed that the aperture ring seemed to get stuck when I put it at A past f/22. I quickly realized that pushing in a small pin next to it would unlock the aperture ring.

When using it to take some pictures with my friends, one of them changed the aperture and went past f/22, but it wouldn't unlock at all. No matter how much I try, it will not budge. Just trying to looking in the back of the lens, I can't tell if the click-stop level is just stuck, the pin is past where it should be to unlock the ring, or if one of the springs or mechanisms snapped inside of the lens.

I removed the screws on the side and got the aperture ring part of the lens off, but that wasn't enough to get to the pin. I started to remove some of the screws to get to the pin but one of them is so stripped that it's impossible to get it out.

I was hoping that someone would have some suggestions as to how to fix the aperture ring, or if there's a specific tool I can get to remove that stripped screw and try to figure out how to fix the ring.

Thank you.

I hope you got at least one nice picture from doing this.... Wish you luck. If it doesn't come off without breaking the mount, maybe it is time for K-7, or pink k-x.

Last edited by Nubi; 10-02-2009 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Because I wanted to be a loyal member