Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2009, 03:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Circular Polarizing Filters, the good, bad and ugly??

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi All,

I am about to splash out and buy a cirpolarizer after my other one busted the glass and i was in the shop looking at options and there are too many.

So i am asking you guys, what do you use and why ?

Do u notice the different in quality or not.?

Best Brand?

How much ?

Examples ?

Cheers Neil

10-03-2009, 07:31 AM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Many people, many answers.
General consesus though is:
buy multicoated filters (no matter if polarising or other). It reduces flare and keeps contrast.
good brands are generaly recommended. f.e. : B&W, Hoya (Pro line, but apparently the HMC line is good too) but have a look at Kenko and Marumi too.
anothe thing is, it all depends on the lens(es) you have. Saying goes the lens is only as good as the filter you put on it. So if you have DA18-55 the filter won't degrade the IQ as much as if you would have say FA31ltd.

my2p

PS: my own opinion, it's worth to spend money if you are buying whatever! I've learnt that on lenses. The cheap ones are hard to live with and even harder to get rid off! The expensive ones deliver the results and keep their resell value.

BR
Peter
10-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by knumbnutz Quote
Hi All,

I am about to splash out and buy a cirpolarizer after my other one busted the glass and i was in the shop looking at options and there are too many.

So i am asking you guys, what do you use and why ?

Do u notice the different in quality or not.?

Best Brand?

How much ?

Examples ?

Cheers Neil
The B+W Kaesemann line are very good. If you have an older film camera you may be able to use a Linear (Top) Polarizer instead. They sell for about a third of the cost, compared to a CPL.

Phil.
10-03-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
The B+W Kaesemann line are very good. If you have an older film camera you may be able to use a Linear (Top) Polarizer instead. They sell for about a third of the cost, compared to a CPL.

Phil.
+1. There isn't any pressing reason to use a circular polarizer on a Pentax DSLR.

10-03-2009, 04:28 PM   #5

You need a circular polarizer for digital. Get a good one....especially since you live in Oz. Hoya HD or Kenko Zeta..they are the same but the Kenko is cheaper. These are better than the B + W's. They are coated like a Pentax lens and easy to clean. Not so for B + W.

From Hoya:

"Light rays which are reflected by any surface become polarised and polarising filters are used to select which light rays enter your camara lens. They allow you to remove unwanted reflections from non-metallic surfaces such as water, glass etc. They also saturate colors and increase contrast. Polarizers come in two variations but have the same effect. Linear polarizers work with older camera meters; Circurlar polarizers are designed for today's newer split-beam metering systems used in auto focus cameras. Check your camera's manual. Hardened Glass: Hardened optical glass that has 4 times the breaking strength in ANSI standardized testing (ANSI Z80.3 : 2001) where a steel balls of varying size and weight were dropped from a height of 50 inches onto the glass. High Transparency Polarizing Film; The polarizing film is the same as that used in the latest high definition LCD TV screens. It has 25% higher light transmission than standard polarizing film used in current photographic filters. Hardened 8 Layer Waterproof Multi-Coating That is Scratch & Stain Resistant: Newly developed industry leading 8-layer multi-coating yields an average light transmission rate of 99.35% between 400 and 700nm (visible spectrum). These coatings greatly reduce reflections off the surface of the glass allowing you to capture more light in your photos. "
10-03-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great info guys.
I need a 77 and 82 and collectively it is over $400USD ! GULP

Now, the whole reason i wrote this is that i had the cheap 77 (which broke )but i used it for waterfalls and loved it.
Especially because it cut out some light which made for longer exposures and better softer water effect.

Soooo. I am wondering why i want to pay the extra when i was happy previously but maybe i will be happier too ??

Cheers Neil
10-03-2009, 05:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

This link was posted in another thread discussing filters:
Polarizing filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com
Probably more info than needed, at least for me. Page 4 has the results and summary.
I have B&W and Hoya coated CPLs. IQ is still under investigation, B&W products have meticulous quality, newer Hoya filters seem to have increased, oily residue around the edges (is it just me ??) which makes them difficult to clean.

hth

10-03-2009, 06:05 PM   #8

Search e*ay for Hoya HD and Kenko....much cheaper there.

hoya hd, great deals on Cameras Photo on eBay!

hoya zeta polarizer, great deals on Cameras Photo on eBay!

Hoya HD Polarizers

The HD is different than the regular coated Hoya. Kenko Zeta is the name they sell them under in Japan. http://www.kenko-tokina.co.jp/e/pie2008/zeta_filter_english.pdf

knumbnutz...we must be related...I get called that a lot hmmm....

Last edited by Spotmatic; 10-03-2009 at 06:11 PM.
10-03-2009, 06:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I am with ya on the residue in the corners I use Kenko happy with the overall results (they are Hoya's ) but a #&#$( to clean especially the edges. I might spring for a B+W or Singh Ray but man oh man the price difference
10-03-2009, 06:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spotmatic Quote
knumbnutz...we must be related...I get called that a lot hmmm....
HEHE , yes, maybe...

Well it was the only thing i could think of that wasnt taken on hotmail, Pentax forums etc, and yep people call that too. LOL

Thanks for the info

Cheers Neil
10-03-2009, 06:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Great info guys.
I need a 77 and 82 and collectively it is over $400USD ! GULP

Cheers Neil
Buy yourself a 82mm polarizer plus a 82mm/77mm Step down Filter Ring, one size fits both.
10-03-2009, 06:58 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spotmatic Quote
You need a circular polarizer for digital. Get a good one....especially since you live in Oz. Hoya HD or Kenko Zeta..they are the same but the Kenko is cheaper. These are better than the B + W's. They are coated like a Pentax lens and easy to clean. Not so for B + W.

From Hoya:

......Polarizers come in two variations but have the same effect. Linear polarizers work with older camera meters; Circurlar polarizers are designed for today's newer split-beam metering systems used in auto focus cameras......

Pentax DSLR cameras do not use split beam metering systems. The AF is the only thing using a beam splitter (the mirror).
Metering is done off the focusing screen, just like they've done it with every SLR camera, film or digital, except for the LX.
10-03-2009, 10:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Whoa !!
Is there such a thing ?
Maybe a great idea if the filter does not interfere with the hood.
I'll look in to that.
Cheers Neil

QuoteOriginally posted by wwwmorrell Quote
Buy yourself a 82mm polarizer plus a 82mm/77mm Step down Filter Ring, one size fits both.
10-03-2009, 10:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

knumbnutz;763540]Whoa !!
Is there such a thing ?

Sure is
10-03-2009, 11:39 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wwwmorrell Quote

Whoa !!
Is there such a thing ?

Sure is
If you buy a Cokin holder you can use their or Lee's hood system.

If you are buying for a Pentax digital, and the 82mm lens in question is a 135 format lens, I would go the other way on the rings, 82 to 77mm step down and a 77mm CPL. You then wouldn't have any issues with the lens hoods.

I'm using a 86 to 77mm step down ring on the Sigma 170-500mm on the K20D so that I can use my 77mm accessories.

Thank you
Russell