Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2009, 04:56 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Question on extension tubes

Hello,

I'm considering some extension tubes to reduce the min focusing distance on my A-50mm 1.7 Most of the tubes I've seen do not have electrical contacts so the lens is fully manual. That's OK since the lens is manual focus anyways.
But I have a question: How does the aperture work? Does it keeps the ability to focus and meter wide open? Or do you need to focus at wide open aperture and then stop down the lens before shooting? None of the ones I've seen are clear on this in the description so I'm guessing that feature is lost.
Any other comment on their usefulness? I'm not looking into super macro. Just getting a bit closer.

Thanks,

10-03-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

I'm considering some extension tubes to reduce the min focusing distance on my A-50mm 1.7 Most of the tubes I've seen do not have electrical contacts so the lens is fully manual. That's OK since the lens is manual focus anyways.
But I have a question: How does the aperture work? Does it keeps the ability to focus and meter wide open? Or do you need to focus at wide open aperture and then stop down the lens before shooting? None of the ones I've seen are clear on this in the description so I'm guessing that feature is lost.
Any other comment on their usefulness? I'm not looking into super macro. Just getting a bit closer.

Thanks,
You want to get the Pentax Auto Extension Tube Set K.

Phil
Attached Images

10-03-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Without contacts the A lens turns into an M lens, so you will need to meter by using the AE-L button on your K100D, just as with any other M lens. Don't leave the aperture ring set on "A"; you will need to move it to your shooting aperture prior to metering/shooting.
11-25-2009, 10:09 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
You want to get the Pentax Auto Extension Tube Set K.

Phil
I am in North Vancouver, can you tell me where I could get one in Vancouver? Or do I have to order it online??