Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2009, 06:54 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know this probably a silly question

but do dings, pit marks, etc, cause white spots on your film?

I think it does, and I think one of my lenses has this problem. I've cleaned the outside of the lens before each shoot. I've cleaned the scanner, there is no dust inside under the glass either. And I've cleaned the film to make sure the dust isn't there either. So, where are the white spots, coming from?

10-03-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Could you show us a sample? If you're saying that the film has marks directly on the surface, that could certainly be the issue. I had a camera that had a little metal spur inside it near the film canister and as film was wound, it would scratch parts of the exposure side. That left lines in the images until it was fixed. Is that the sort of thing you think is happening?
10-03-2009, 07:12 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sure Peter. Here's one. Though this one isn't as bad as some I get. You can still see the specks of white.

Some of those photos taken that same day, I used a different lens and that shows no spots/specks of white.
10-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

They look like dust spots to me. With film, they are often caused by dust on the film itself, often embedded in the emulsion as it dries. Try taking a rocket blower to the slide/neg prior to scanning. If you really feel it is caused by a lens or body, try a controlled test -- the spots should show up in the same places in the frame if the problem is "mechanical" -- i.e. caused by the lens or body. If they are caused by dust on the film, they'll move around. These used to take hours to correct in a large print. These days they can be fixed rather quickly in Photoshop and most other post processing programs prior to printing. Dave

10-03-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
This is why I can't figure out if it's the lens or the film. I have used a 50mm, and get no spots. I have a 135mm and using it, I get no spots. But if I use the Sigma 70-300mm I always have spots on my film. To try and elimnate the possibility it's the film, I use Anti-static film cleaner and clean the negatives prior to scanning. Those spots are still there when the photos were shot with the zoom lens.
10-03-2009, 07:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If they are in the same place in the frame and it only happens with one lens, then I suspect you have answered your question.... Dave
10-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I think Dave has it. Check the location of the spots with the 70-300mm lens. This would also make sense since zooms are more prone to sucking in dust over primes. But you should be able to see the dust in the lens if it's big enough to cause this.