Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2009, 07:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA*50-135 vs Sigma 70-200/2.8 (non HSM)?

So,

Some time ago, I got Tamron 70-200/2.8 which broke down on me, so I swapped it for DA*50-135. I've had this one for a few months now, and I'm generally happy but...
I don' like the fact that it pushes F50/1.7 (excellent lens IMHO) out, and that it's only 135. I have chance to swap (with possible cash back) for used Sigma 70-200/2.8 EX APO in EX++ condition.
I feel that 70mm as starting point fits better to my line up, but then SMC-P DA* is hard to let go of...
any opinions??

BR
Peter

10-03-2009, 07:58 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well Peter they are different lens for different purposes. I had (and will have again soon) the DA* 50-135 and the Tamron 70-200. I picked up the Tamron used and was really not expecting to get it as I think I was third or fourth in line just so happened everyone else backed out Now I am glad I did.

Truly IQ wise a wash I would say for me. Can't speak for the Sigma. The Tamron also can act as a macro which is nice.

The DA* 50-135 is smaller , I like to use this one as more of a walk around , inside , portrait lens. The 70-200 I tend to use when outside for landscapes, some wildlife (but at 200 it has to be pretty close). If you do any indoor sports , I think the 70-200 offers a better focal range.

I also enjoy the weather sealing - we get all 4 seasons here and with that all types of weather , especially in winter, it's nice to be able to go out while it is snowing and not worry about the camera and lens.

I agree kinda disappointed at 135 being the max but have learned to work with that. I was looking at the Pentax DA* 60-250 but heck there are no used ones and a new one here cost more than I paid for both the DA* 50-135 and Tamron 70-200 . If I am going to spend that much money on a lens , I think it will be a 300mm prime.

Anyway - as with all these types of threads, the decision rests with you. If I could only have one - personally I would probably go with the 70-200.
10-03-2009, 08:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have both lenses.

I take the Sigma out with me almost everywhere I go, the 50-135mm is hardly used to be honest. I only bought the Pentax lens because they were just about to double in price here in the UK.

Nice thing about the Sigma (the non HSM non Macro version) is that it can be used with the 1.4x Sigma TC with hardly any effect on IQ and even with the 2x TC the results are pretty good.
10-03-2009, 08:16 AM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know what you mean with the Tamron Dave. I loved the IQ of the lens, and it was definitely a winner but my copy developed sticky aperture after 1 month. I was really sad, because I liked that lens a lot! But didn't want to go through the risk of getting the aperture stuck after warranty period.
With DA* I see what you mean. I like it as walkaround lens, and it makes nice travel kit with my Sigma 10-20 and FA31ltd. But it's too close to 40 to carry both (especially at closer distances where DA* goes wider than 50). SDM and WR are nice touches, but....
as well as reviewing pics from Egypt. I used this lens a lot in there and some shots came out great but some just lacked the punch...
I don't know, I hate making decisions...

10-03-2009, 08:18 AM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
I have both lenses.

I take the Sigma out with me almost everywhere I go, the 50-135mm is hardly used to be honest. I only bought the Pentax lens because they were just about to double in price here in the UK.

Nice thing about the Sigma (the non HSM non Macro version) is that it can be used with the 1.4x Sigma TC with hardly any effect on IQ and even with the 2x TC the results are pretty good.
thanks Mike,
how does the colour tone of those two compare?
I got my DA* for old price 549 and the used Sigma is for 429. I think I could earn some cash on this.