Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2013, 08:21 PM   #16

I got one Soligor C/D for nothing (35-105/3.5), but it's Olympus mount. ISTR that it does not act like a zoom but instead as a varifocal.

09-03-2013, 12:03 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris_Akunin Quote
Like the Vivitar Series 1 (at least the early Series 1 lenses), there seem to be a few gems among the Soligor C/D lenses but there is no comprehensive source of information. I've tried the 60-300/4-5.6 (made by Tokina) which is pretty sharp for a 5x zoom (and quite cheap these days). The 20/2.8 is probably worth trying, too.

Some of the Soligor C/Ds are quite special, like this one:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/233415-soligor...m-f-2-3-a.html

If you can get them cheaply, the C/D lenses are probably all worth a try.

regards
Jan
That's good to know Jan.. I don't know what is considered cheaply for everyone tho.. All the fast C/D prime lenses I find are always around 2oo Dollars or more, and to me that's not cheep. The fast 28mm I am looking at now is not even in the mount that i prefer but I am only considering now is because its $125, which is close to acceptable but not cheap. If I ever found a beautiful fast 135mm for that price. I would consider that purchase instead.

QuoteOriginally posted by mndean Quote
I got one Soligor C/D for nothing (35-105/3.5), but it's Olympus mount. ISTR that it does not act like a zoom but instead as a varifocal.
Very nice .. Is that C/D lens realy a constant 3.5? I haven't seen any Soligor Zooms that were C/D and constant. The Soligor 35-140mm lens i have is a constant 3.52 but its not a C/D
09-03-2013, 08:31 AM   #18

It says it's a constant f/3.5 and has a macro setting. BTW, it is not mildly varifocal but very much so, the most extreme I have ever had in that regard. The distance scale is only accurate at 105mm.
09-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had this lens briefly:

Very heavy, all metal, slide out hood, M42 mount. I tested it for sharpness against an F70-210 and decided it was too big to keep.

This lens might be a close relative of the Soligor 28mm f2:

It is very similar in build, although that doesn't always mean something. It's a Tokina, who built the T4 lenses for Soligor and Vivitar. Eight aperture blades, unusual for a 28mm. This one is also M42. I had it for a while in 2007 but sold it on eBay. The winning bidder paid a lot for it and said that he thought it was the same as the Vivitar 28mm f1.9 Series 1. I have no idea. I did not think it was as good as my Vivitar K12.

09-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a Soligar 28-80 C/D macro that's probably the most craptastic lens in my arsenal. I suspect its less the lens itself being bad due to design but from abuse in its life before it landed in my care. I bought an old ME kit for $12 due to it having a Pentax-M 50 1.4 in it, and it wound up tagging along for the ride.

Granted, the lens also has a six foot minimum focus distance, even at 28mm, which made my brain lock up a bit as I tried to comprehend the whys of that setup.

The lens actually *crunches* as I try focusing it in and out.

That said, it does produce some wild bokeh...

09-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VaSA Quote
My brother has a 70-205 Soligor zoom, the build quality is nice, but optically its a piece of crap.
I had this lens in K mount (or at least a Soligor with the same zoom range) for about 1 week in 1982/1983. Had bought it used and sold it as fast as possible after 1 roll.
It was extremely soft and got only a bit sharper at F11, and showed lots of flare.

Such experiences tend to stick for a long time, often unjustified: I never bought anything labelled Soligor again; just as it took me >10y to buy anything from Vivitar after a Vivitar flash broke shortly after warranty had ended.