Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
HSM not working after coming back from the Sigma shop??

Yesterday afternoon when I got home from a week long business trip, I see a box on the front step. Walk up and see that its from Sigma and a bit soggy from the rain. So I thought, great, that's not going to be good, my 70-200mm must be in there. I opened it up inside and was impressed with the number of layers of plastic bags used and after the first layer, there were no more signs of moisture. Unzipped the pouch, which seemed dry, pulled out the lens which had another bag, and it seemed bone dry, no condensation, nothing. I looked at the new front element to check out the repair and it looks nice. Read the invoice, all that was done was swap the element and tested for functionality which as good. Since I was taking off for a weekend trip, I packed it all away, glad I finally had my lens back for use this weekend.

Today I went to use it, no AF. No sound of the motor even attempting to do anything. Thought, stupid me, my lens or camera must be set on MF. Look at it, they're both right. Made sure the lens was locked on properly, looked at the contacts, flipped though the custom menu seeing if there was something I could've turned off, didn't notice anything. HSM AF still doesn't work and these new lenses don't have a screw drive back-up.

Any ideas? My only other AF lens is the kit lens, which works fine, but that doesn't use the same contacts. I don't know what I would've done to damage that part of the camera.

10-03-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

There's nothing else you can do to make HSM/SDM work.
Either the contacts have failed (only way to test is with another functional SDM lens) or the lens's AF has failed (quite likely).

Once you confirm your sneaky suspicion, I'd be on the phone again with them to say the lens has lost its AF.

Hope it works out for you.
10-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's what I was afraid of. Just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing something simple. I've been out of this lens for at least 6 weeks already. Would've been nice to have it for the fall.
10-03-2009, 10:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tvfd911 Quote
That's what I was afraid of. Just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing something simple. I've been out of this lens for at least 6 weeks already. Would've been nice to have it for the fall.
See if it works on another body. If it doesn't, send it back to Sigma for repairs (again).

10-04-2009, 03:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
determined it was the lens, argghhh

Well, I had time to play with the lens again and the AF started to attempt to function. I was holding at half shutter to keep the AF confirm on when using manual focus while still in AF, and the motor started to do stuff. I did it a little more and now the motor works halfway decent, but it had difficulty locking focus. My guess is they somehow screwed up the quick shift over-ride clutch. Who knows, it might get better if I keep farting with it, but it is too expensive of glass to not be functioning perfectly. When attempting to fine adjust, it sounds like a tiny woodpecker inside my lens. Quite loud and rough compared to how it was before sending it in.

Time to call Sigma in the morning and send it back. Hopefully the turn-around will be better this time. Didn't have it for a couple moto-cross gigs, now I won't have it for the peak of fall shooting uses.

I understand shit happens when working on stuff, but I don't even know how/why the AF was messed up from swapping a front element.
10-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Who knows what else they got up to in the repair lab - in any case, they should assume responsibility for the imperfect AF function seeing as though it was fine before you gave it to them.