I subscribed to your fine forum, since so many people turn
That many lens

I would like to know something.
I need some advice. fast.

Can I have an A * 300mm f/2.8 + 2X-L
or
TAMRON SP (60B) 300 mm f.2, 8 LD IF

You prefer??
I always try the best quality perspective.
Let not the weight, then I'll saddle up to the gym.

Please do not take into account the 2x-L in your assessment of the pure quality of lens.

Last thing, you can mount a filter on the A * 112?

Many have advised me The F * 300, judged excellent in all.
Much lighter than the A *, and very handy.

I tell myself I seek the ultimate in image quality and according to many F / 2.8 is used little.
Since I would use it for landscapes and details.
But in the case of animals f/2.8 shutter speed would give me

Thanks to all

Last edited by bollicina31; 10-04-2009 at 02:49 AM.
10-04-2009, 05:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't help you with personal insight but the following links might provide some information.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/1729-review-pe...mm-f2-8-a.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-techniques-styles/220...mm-f2-8-a.html
10-04-2009, 12:33 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote

Hello, thanks for the links.

I had already read those posts, but so not much help.

Understand who is the better of the two is hard.

Hello thanks
10-04-2009, 01:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I dont have any of these, however I pondered the purchase of Tammy 300mm 1:2.8 at some point.

I think I`d have A*300 \ 2.8 over Tamron any day, granted both are in perfect optical condition.

10-05-2009, 11:02 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote
I dont have any of these, however I pondered the purchase of Tammy 300mm 1:2.8 at some point.

I think I`d have A*300 \ 2.8 over Tamron any day, granted both are in perfect optical condition.

Understand. it is difficult. someone owns them both.

The Tamron has been sold.
The problem that many do I see, is the weight of A *.
That's why I recommend F *, autofocus, light and small.

What do you think??
Images of A * are equal to or better than a F *??

As they say to me "the game worth the candle?"
10-05-2009, 02:44 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Hi bollicina31,

Right off the bat, I've never owned the A*300/2.8, so I really can't comment about this lens, except for reputation. I have owned an A* 300/4, and currently own an FA*300/4.5, FA*300/2.8, Sigma EX 300/2.8 APO, and a Tamron SP 300/2.8 (60B), so I do have some direct experience with fast 300mm lenses on Pentax DSLRs.

First of all, all of these lenses are 9+ class lenses, capable of giving stellar results. The differences are minor (except in the case of the comparatively small and light FA*300/4.5 which is obviously slower).

In the case of the Tamron vs the A* 300/2.8, I would say that reputation would recommend the A*. My experience has been that Pentax ED glass controls CA/PF better than Tamron LD glass, and of the 3 300/2.8s I own, the Tamron shows the least control of color aberrations. It's also the softest of these lenses, but only by a tiny degree.

The reasons I bought the Tamron were 1. Price!!!! -- you can find and purchase these commonly at $500-800 USD, which is a steal for this class of lens, and 2. weight -- the A* weighs in at about 400g more than the FA*, and the FA* is the heaviest of the 3 I own by quite a margin, and is the heaviest lens I can practically carry and use for any amount of time regularly. The Tamron also focuses a tad closer than the A*, but this was not as important a consideration as the above two.

After using the Tamron for a season, I decided to get the Sigma because I wanted AF capability at 300/f2.8 and 420/f4 (with a 1.4x AF TC). I already had AF at 510/4.8 with the P F 1.7x AFA and at 714/6.7 with the AFA stacked on a 140F 1.4x TC and the Tamron. I had, by this time given up on finding an FA*300/2.8 at a price I could justify as I had been searching for one for some time.

Of course, after buying a nice used Sigma, I found a user grade FA*300/2.8 for a price I couldn't refuse, so I got that one too since it was pretty much a once in a lifetime chance to own this legendary lens.

The Sigma is a little sharper than the Tamron, and the FA* is a little sharper than the Sigma. Both of these lenses control CA/PF better than the Tamron, with the FA* getting a slight edge over the Sigma. Bokeh is harder to judge, but my preference is the FA*, then the Sigma, then the Tamron. All 3 exhibit some busy bokeh with TCs and fairly close background objects, but without TCs, the FA* has the most pleasing OOF rendering, IMO -- but the Sigma is pretty good here too, and the Tamron isn't bad by any means.

All that being said, I use my FA*300/4.5 more than I use any of the 300/2.8s, but not by much. It's so much smaller and lighter, and it pairs well with either a Tamron 1.4x AF TC or the Sigma EX 1.4x APO TC, or the P F 1.7x AFA if I need more reach. I usually handhold this lens, even with the TCs. IMO, this is a legendary lens in its own right, and there is no comparison in ease of use -- a little under 1kg as opposed to around 3 kg for any of the 2.8s. Shutter speeds can get pretty slow, especially with TC use, so that's why I desired the faster lens.

I occasionally handhold any of the 300/2.8s, but mostly use these on a CF Dynatran, Manfrotto 468MG w/ Wimberley clamp conversion, and Wimberley Sidekick. I'll also occasionally use a monopod to support the weight of the lens if I need to keep it at eye level for any length of time, but I usually find that a tripod is the better option in most cases, since I usually have the 300/4.5 mounted on a second body, and the tripod allows me the freedom to use this handheld alternative freely.

You really can't go wrong with any of the top end 300mm choices for Pentax.

The A*300/4 is an exemplary lens, but exhibits some CA/PF and has a long Minimum Focusing Distance of 4m.

The A*300/2.8 is the heaviest of the 300/2.8 K-Mounts, withe a MFD of 3m.

The F*/FA*300/4.5 are great AF lenses, but are pricey as they don't seem to have come down considerably with the introduction of the DA*300/4. The DA*, BTW is, IMO, optically the best of the mid speed 300mms. I briefly tested the DA* against my FA*, and found it a little sharper, a little faster, and it focuses to @ 1.5m as opposed to the 2m for the F*/FA*. Not enough for me to pop for one (yet ), but I noticed a difference.

The FA*300/2.8 is the best of the best, but is also the heaviest and has the largest barrel (so it's harder to handle), but it's 2m MFD is great, and it offers a focus limiter and very heavy duty strap lugs on the nonremovable tripod collar. It has an easily removable 112mm protective filter, but the PF does not have external filter threads. Both this and the one on the Sigma have rubber covers on the forwardmost section of the filter, and all 3 have rubber on the front of the hood when in shooting position. This is very handy because you can stand the camera/lens on the hood very securely if needed.

The Sigma EX 300/2.8 APO lacks strap lugs on the lens and a focus limiter, but has a very easily removable tripod collar (but no detents for landscape or portrait orientation), is smaller and lighter than the FA*, and considerably less expensive for close to the same optical performance with an MFD of 2m. It has an OEM protective filter that is not easily removable (I haven't been able to get it off, but I haven't REALLY tried), and there are no filter threads on the outside, but uses a rear filter drawer (as all the 2.8s do).

The Tamron is MF, but very inexpensive (relatively! about 1/2-1/3 the used cost of the Sigma, and 1/4-1/5 of the FA*), very easily obtainable, and offers great performance. It's got strap lugs on the nonremovable tripod collar, and an adjustable focus return detent. With the usually included palm rest, it's the easiest to MF of the three (so it's the easiest to use handheld with the AFA) and has an MFD of 2.5m. There is no protective filter usually included, but it has exposed 112mm filter threads. The usually included 140F 1.4x A2 TC is excellent, and the also usually included palm rest is a very nice accessory.

BTW, there were also AF Tamron and Tokina 300/2.8s made for the K-Mount, but they are very rare (and by reputation very good)

Probably more information that you wanted. . .

Scott
10-06-2009, 09:07 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi bollicina31,

Right off the bat, I've never owned the A*300/2.8, so I really can't comment about this lens, except for reputation. I have owned an A* 300/4, and currently own an FA*300/4.5, FA*300/2.8, Sigma EX 300/2.8 APO, and a Tamron SP 300/2.8 (60B), so I do have some direct experience with fast 300mm lenses on Pentax DSLRs.

First of all, all of these lenses are 9+ class lenses, capable of giving stellar results. The differences are minor (except in the case of the comparatively small and light FA*300/4.5 which is obviously slower).

In the case of the Tamron vs the A* 300/2.8, I would say that reputation would recommend the A*. My experience has been that Pentax ED glass controls CA/PF better than Tamron LD glass, and of the 3 300/2.8s I own, the Tamron shows the least control of color aberrations. It's also the softest of these lenses, but only by a tiny degree.

The reasons I bought the Tamron were 1. Price!!!! -- you can find and purchase these commonly at $500-800 USD, which is a steal for this class of lens, and 2. weight -- the A* weighs in at about 400g more than the FA*, and the FA* is the heaviest of the 3 I own by quite a margin, and is the heaviest lens I can practically carry and use for any amount of time regularly. The Tamron also focuses a tad closer than the A*, but this was not as important a consideration as the above two.

After using the Tamron for a season, I decided to get the Sigma because I wanted AF capability at 300/f2.8 and 420/f4 (with a 1.4x AF TC). I already had AF at 510/4.8 with the P F 1.7x AFA and at 714/6.7 with the AFA stacked on a 140F 1.4x TC and the Tamron. I had, by this time given up on finding an FA*300/2.8 at a price I could justify as I had been searching for one for some time.

Of course, after buying a nice used Sigma, I found a user grade FA*300/2.8 for a price I couldn't refuse, so I got that one too since it was pretty much a once in a lifetime chance to own this legendary lens.

The Sigma is a little sharper than the Tamron, and the FA* is a little sharper than the Sigma. Both of these lenses control CA/PF better than the Tamron, with the FA* getting a slight edge over the Sigma. Bokeh is harder to judge, but my preference is the FA*, then the Sigma, then the Tamron. All 3 exhibit some busy bokeh with TCs and fairly close background objects, but without TCs, the FA* has the most pleasing OOF rendering, IMO -- but the Sigma is pretty good here too, and the Tamron isn't bad by any means.

All that being said, I use my FA*300/4.5 more than I use any of the 300/2.8s, but not by much. It's so much smaller and lighter, and it pairs well with either a Tamron 1.4x AF TC or the Sigma EX 1.4x APO TC, or the P F 1.7x AFA if I need more reach. I usually handhold this lens, even with the TCs. IMO, this is a legendary lens in its own right, and there is no comparison in ease of use -- a little under 1kg as opposed to around 3 kg for any of the 2.8s. Shutter speeds can get pretty slow, especially with TC use, so that's why I desired the faster lens.

I occasionally handhold any of the 300/2.8s, but mostly use these on a CF Dynatran, Manfrotto 468MG w/ Wimberley clamp conversion, and Wimberley Sidekick. I'll also occasionally use a monopod to support the weight of the lens if I need to keep it at eye level for any length of time, but I usually find that a tripod is the better option in most cases, since I usually have the 300/4.5 mounted on a second body, and the tripod allows me the freedom to use this handheld alternative freely.

You really can't go wrong with any of the top end 300mm choices for Pentax.

The A*300/4 is an exemplary lens, but exhibits some CA/PF and has a long Minimum Focusing Distance of 4m.

The A*300/2.8 is the heaviest of the 300/2.8 K-Mounts, withe a MFD of 3m.

The F*/FA*300/4.5 are great AF lenses, but are pricey as they don't seem to have come down considerably with the introduction of the DA*300/4. The DA*, BTW is, IMO, optically the best of the mid speed 300mms. I briefly tested the DA* against my FA*, and found it a little sharper, a little faster, and it focuses to @ 1.5m as opposed to the 2m for the F*/FA*. Not enough for me to pop for one (yet ), but I noticed a difference.

The FA*300/2.8 is the best of the best, but is also the heaviest and has the largest barrel (so it's harder to handle), but it's 2m MFD is great, and it offers a focus limiter and very heavy duty strap lugs on the nonremovable tripod collar. It has an easily removable 112mm protective filter, but the PF does not have external filter threads. Both this and the one on the Sigma have rubber covers on the forwardmost section of the filter, and all 3 have rubber on the front of the hood when in shooting position. This is very handy because you can stand the camera/lens on the hood very securely if needed.

The Sigma EX 300/2.8 APO lacks strap lugs on the lens and a focus limiter, but has a very easily removable tripod collar (but no detents for landscape or portrait orientation), is smaller and lighter than the FA*, and considerably less expensive for close to the same optical performance with an MFD of 2m. It has an OEM protective filter that is not easily removable (I haven't been able to get it off, but I haven't REALLY tried), and there are no filter threads on the outside, but uses a rear filter drawer (as all the 2.8s do).

The Tamron is MF, but very inexpensive (relatively! about 1/2-1/3 the used cost of the Sigma, and 1/4-1/5 of the FA*), very easily obtainable, and offers great performance. It's got strap lugs on the nonremovable tripod collar, and an adjustable focus return detent. With the usually included palm rest, it's the easiest to MF of the three (so it's the easiest to use handheld with the AFA) and has an MFD of 2.5m. There is no protective filter usually included, but it has exposed 112mm filter threads. The usually included 140F 1.4x A2 TC is excellent, and the also usually included palm rest is a very nice accessory.

BTW, there were also AF Tamron and Tokina 300/2.8s made for the K-Mount, but they are very rare (and by reputation very good)

Probably more information that you wanted. . .

Scott
Thank you were very kind, I have very clear ideas.

The fact is that I sell a F *300mm and/or A * 300mm, the Tamron has already gone sold.

F * is lighter, A * is rare and mythical, but heavier.
In my opinion, the disadvantage is not the weight itself or size.
But the fact of having for so long on her shoulders.

Thanks hello.