Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #1
Inactive Account

New FA 31 lens question

Hi
I am a newbie on the forum and this is my first post. I have been taking pictures for many years and finally got inito digital a couple of years ago with a K10D. Having used a DA40 for about a year, I took the plunge and purchased an FA31 from a well known mail order company in the UK - doing this on preference to upgrading the K10. The lens arrived yesterday and at first glance everything looks fine and it takes fantastic pictures. I did, however, need to adjust the camera's AF through the debug menu to adjust the fairly significant back focussing.

What I'm concerned about though, is that the lens box arrived unsealed, there was no instruction/operating manual included and the plastic wrapper containing the lens was unsealed and looked as though it had been opened. The top half of the guarantee card was detached along the perforation and was missing.

Thrilled with the lens but have this nagging feeling something isn't right. The lens was sold as 'new'

I have seven days cooling off in which I can return the lens or 30 days to return it 'unopened; Please what would be your advice?

regards

Peter

10-04-2009, 01:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Really your call here.

If the lens is OK in all aspects and is taking fantastic pictures, I think i`d keep it.
10-04-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
Nubi

Agree that it is your call, but if I were you, I would return it.
10-04-2009, 02:35 PM   #4

Did you pay a 'new price' for a used or returned item if yes then return it or get a discount for it being used.

10-05-2009, 12:04 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
lenses aren't the most complicated things to operate....I'd just hang the sense of it and just enjoy the lens..mine intermittently front focuses on my new K-7 - I'm not going to adjust it...I'll just have to be careful and look for it.
10-05-2009, 05:17 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Toad Quote
Hi
I am a newbie on the forum and this is my first post. I have been taking pictures for many years and finally got inito digital a couple of years ago with a K10D. Having used a DA40 for about a year, I took the plunge and purchased an FA31 from a well known mail order company in the UK - doing this on preference to upgrading the K10. The lens arrived yesterday and at first glance everything looks fine and it takes fantastic pictures. I did, however, need to adjust the camera's AF through the debug menu to adjust the fairly significant back focussing.

What I'm concerned about though, is that the lens box arrived unsealed, there was no instruction/operating manual included and the plastic wrapper containing the lens was unsealed and looked as though it had been opened. The top half of the guarantee card was detached along the perforation and was missing.

Thrilled with the lens but have this nagging feeling something isn't right. The lens was sold as 'new'

I have seven days cooling off in which I can return the lens or 30 days to return it 'unopened; Please what would be your advice?

regards

Peter
The lens had obviously been returned, probably due to the back focusing problem you corrected in debug. I would contact the company and point out the obvious signs of returned item, particularly if you paid the going new price in the UK and also seek confirmation the the warranty is intact. Or just return it ASAP.

David
10-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you for your replies. I am going to return it tomorrow since I can imagine myself always thinking it might not have been new. It's a lot of money to not be certain.

Thanks

10-05-2009, 03:39 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmmmmm...??

None of my Pentax lens boxes arrived "sealed." The top is always crisply folded and everything is packed neatly in the box. I think it would be very difficult to repack a return so it looks new, but is not.

Are you sure you are not just having a dose of buyers remorse? BTW: I get it from time to time when I make a big buck purchase and understand it is a very commom reaction...

...my o.o2 centavo$... Cheers...
10-05-2009, 07:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I remember correctly mine front focuses on my K10D, I get around it by manually focusing it. If I'm going to blame something I blame the K10D not the 31 Limited. I know how you feel but on the other hand how many instances have we seen of a problem with a FA 31Limited? Any problem. The only problem I've ever heard of is it's price. Oh yeah, it can be forced to show some ca's viewable at 200%.
But you are right, if it's going to bug you it's best to return it rather than always wondering. But just because it front or back focuses on a K10D isn't a great test, I don't think. I bet the next one you get needs adjusting also. BTW had you ever adjusted the K10D previous to shooting with the 31 Limited? Isn't any adjustment made to the K10D a global adjustment?
10-05-2009, 11:13 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The DA40 is spot on with no adjustment needed on the K10. The FA31 took fantastic pictures, best I've ever seen, after adjusting the AF quite a bit. That in itself wasn't the issue, nor was the missing manual if that was the only thing. I understand the box might not be sealed, but the plastic wrapping was crumpled, like it is when you open something and shove it in the box. Maybe I'm being a bit silly, but put all these together and I have doubts. I have asked for a replacement which I'm assured will be new, and they did say the original was new as well.

Thanks for the comments.