Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
curiosity got the better of me

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have been looking at this for a while, and today decided to give it a try

Nikon lens to Pentax K10d k20d k100d k200d DS adapter on eBay.ca (item 110315755981 end time 17-Oct-09 19:45:02 EDT)

I will post results when I get it, as I have several nikon mount lenses available, including a vivitar 24mm, a nikor 50mm and a 80-200 makinon zoom.

I also have a nikon adaptall2 adaptor so I can try my 24 and 28 mm lenses and do side by side comparison.

10-04-2009, 07:36 PM   #2

I have two old Nikon lenses (E series, 50mm and 100mm+2x converter) myself. Since they fit in my K20D and stay in place by friction (the Nikon F mount and the Pentax K mount are somewhat compatible), and since the adapter's lens allowing infinity focus eats some light, I decided to not get one at all. I'm quite happy so far.
10-04-2009, 09:40 PM   #3

I'm looking forward to hearing how that works. I have a few Nikon lenses that I miss using, including an AF-D 300 f/4.0. I was thinking of picking up a Nikon dSLR just to use it, but if I could use it on the K20D that would be great.

Let us know what you think.
10-05-2009, 06:13 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frank B Quote
I'm looking forward to hearing how that works. I have a few Nikon lenses that I miss using, including an AF-D 300 f/4.0. I was thinking of picking up a Nikon dSLR just to use it, but if I could use it on the K20D that would be great.

Let us know what you think.
shipping instructions said allow 15 days, so I will post towards the end of the month.

I have been looking at this for a while, and nikon lenses in general, since the register distance is a little longer than pentax, it makes lens mount swapouts a reality but a little disturbing to think of hacking a perfectly good lens.

I am interested in seeing what the corrective lens for focus distance correction does, not so much on axis, but off axis of the lens.

10-05-2009, 07:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lowell:

There was discussion and a little testing here on this issue. Best

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/47472-pentax-w-nikon-glass.html
10-05-2009, 08:10 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks for the replies.

in looking at the past test which is linked, unfortunately most of the photos are unavailable

from the results, it appears that although the claims state 1:1 there is some magnification. I will be able to quantify this exactly because I have the opportunity to actually test using some tamron lenses with both PK and Nikon adaptors,

I think it is, for $40 worthwhile to try, and depending on the results, will re-think the modification of lenses by replacing the nikon mount with a flanged screw mount adaptor.

It may be that for fast short tele to wide lenses changing the mounts would be preferred if the magnification is excessive, but for long tele's the extra magnification may be desireable.
10-05-2009, 01:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very interesting toy. Did you also read in the questions at the bottom that the seller can also produce some without the glass for macro purposes? How much do those micro-Nikkors run?

10-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I like the fact that it has a correctional lens?

Obviously manual only since I don't see any contacts.

interesting.
10-26-2009, 06:52 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My new toy arrived

My adaptor came last week.

I have been very busy so I couldn't really give it a work out, but here is a really quick summary.

The unit is all metal, and is a snug fit on my K10D mount. Lenses are also a snug fit. Not too tight but a little more than normal lenses on the mounts.

Nikon mount appears to be chrome plated brass, pentax mount appears to be anodized aluminum.

Optically, I took two shots with my Adaptall II 24mm, one with the pentax mount, the other with a nikon mount and then the adaptor, and cropped one to match the field of view from the other. based upon the ratio of pixels in the cropped image, I estimate a 1.25 magnification. This makes it really a short teleconverter.

There is also with the magnification a noticible reduction in the contrast.

I felt this gave a very fair comparison of the unit by using the same lens for two test shots.

I then tried a few other shots, using my parent's Nikon mount lenses. Using the Vivitar 24mm F2 the shots seem to have a little halo around them when shot wide open (the only mode I could use as aperture was stuck - something else to fix)

Took some shots with the nikkor 50mm F1.8 (AI mount) and these seem not too bad, but again they appear to have a little halo aroung subjects. SHarpness is not that bad, but not perfect. Not what I would have expected from a 50mm Nikkor on it's own.

Infinity focus seems to be OK, and I have not yet run any tests to check the exposure, i.e. whether light loss is consistent with magnification.

Overall, it may have some uses for soft portraits. Not sure about long lenses yet. I will need to test this with the 85-210mm F3.8 zoom.