Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2009, 11:37 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
If you want to take camera shake completely out of the equation, you must be sure the camera is on the tripod with SR off, a 2sec delay engaged for shutter release, and conditions aren't windy or shaky where you are. If windy, bump up the speed to freeze action - at least 1/250sec.
or use mirror-up.

10-05-2009, 12:00 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Atindra Quote
What I find strange is 1/100 and 1/200 shutter speeds under the bright sun. Which mode you are using? Because in Nikon shot at f/7.1 the shutter speed is at 1/1000 (as the sunlight is very strong in that shot).

Atindra
I shoot in AV unless I need to go full manual for special occasions. Perhaps some of the settings on the Pentax are limiting my shutter speed. The only difference in the shots vs. the Nikon is that with the Pentax I am using a polarizer and the Nikon just had a UV filter. Also the bodies might make a difference in, the Nikon is a D700 which blows away the Pentax ISO performance, but that is expected due to the nature of the Nikon.
10-05-2009, 12:09 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Crepusculum Quote
I shoot in AV unless I need to go full manual for special occasions. Perhaps some of the settings on the Pentax are limiting my shutter speed. The only difference in the shots vs. the Nikon is that with the Pentax I am using a polarizer and the Nikon just had a UV filter. Also the bodies might make a difference in, the Nikon is a D700 which blows away the Pentax ISO performance, but that is expected due to the nature of the Nikon.
I dont think D700 would blow away K-7 at base ISO. But I guess the polarizer is playing some role there. I would try two shots with and without polarizer.

Atindra
10-05-2009, 12:16 AM   #19

Original Poster
I dont think D700 would blow away K-7 at base ISO. But I guess the polarizer is playing some role there. I would try two shots with and without polarizer.

Atindra

What I really meant to say was anything above ISO 200 and the K7 shows more noise then the D700, by ISO 800 the Nikon wins hands down. But it's fair to compare the two because of the full frame and the 2K+ price difference. But nevertheless; I moved on to Pentax and no longer shoot Nikon, so it must have not been that important to me

10-05-2009, 12:20 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
If you want to take camera shake completely out of the equation, you must be sure the camera is on the tripod with SR off, a 2sec delay engaged for shutter release, and conditions aren't windy or shaky where you are. If windy, bump up the speed to freeze action - at least 1/250sec.
I am definitely going to run more tests. But I honestly discovered what the problem was and it had nothing to do with the lens or camera. It was VERY windy out there today and I completely forgot when I was reviewing the shots. So I feel like a bit of a fool for posting this thread in the first place.
10-05-2009, 12:23 AM   #21
Veteran Member

in lowlight, YES. but in those sunny day conditions, I don't see any point of boosting up your ISO to 3200 or 6400 during that time frame unless you decide to lower your aperture and shutterspeed for whatever unexplainable reason there might be.

besides, your problem is not about HIGH ISO NOISE, but more actually on how to get a decent shot result off your new system.

p.s. just in case you are still having a problem with your lens, I'd be more than happy to accept it whenever you feel generous.
10-05-2009, 12:38 AM   #22
Veteran Member

What I really meant to say was anything above ISO 200 and the K7 shows more noise then the D700, by ISO 800 the Nikon wins hands down. But it's fair to compare the two because of the full frame and the 2K+ price difference. But nevertheless; I moved on to Pentax and no longer shoot Nikon, so it must have not been that important to me
as far as I'm concerned, the D700 High ISO noise performance only comes in handy above ISO 1600. starting from 2500 to 6400 under jpeg format directly from the camera. the K-7's ISO noise at 800 to 1600 are still very nice (base ISO to 400 are excellent, IMO) under jpeg format from the camera. the ISO 3200 RAW results are very good/nice also when post-processed outside of the camera, especially when pulled.

and besides, I'm surely am to miss the friendly noise effect for vintage black and white shots. who says noise aren't beneficial?

10-05-2009, 12:51 AM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
as far as I'm concerned, the D700 High ISO noise performance only comes in handy above ISO 1600. starting from 2500 to 6400 under jpeg format directly from the camera. the K-7's ISO noise at 800 to 1600 are still very nice (base ISO to 400 are excellent, IMO) under jpeg format from the camera. the ISO 3200 RAW results are very good/nice also when post-processed outside of the camera, especially when pulled.

and besides, I'm surely am to miss the friendly noise effect for vintage black and white shots. who says noise aren't beneficial?
Yes I agree, the K7 is very usable at 800-1600. I don't know if I would want to shoot above 2400 unless I absolutely had too. I shoot band performances sometimes, but I have yet to get a fast prime for the K7, that will be next on the list.
10-05-2009, 12:53 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote

besides, your problem is not about HIGH ISO NOISE, but more actually on how to get a decent shot result off your new system.
True, not sure how we got off course and started talking about ISO performance.
10-05-2009, 01:07 AM   #25
Veteran Member

True, not sure how we got off course and started talking about ISO performance.
anyway, hope you get better results next time. the second shot was good actually, if not for the motion blur that appeared when cropped closely.
10-05-2009, 01:47 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The first shot, with the lake, looks definitely like camera shake. You can even see the multiple silhouettes. the second looks also very much like camera shake, but I am not quite as definite on this.

It is not a lens or camera problem. You should try to use faster speeds and/or a tripod and your results will be perfect. Obviously you have a good eye and your images deserve the extra effort to get perfect sharpness.

Ben
10-05-2009, 02:12 AM   #27
Veteran Member

First, if you suspect a lens, take some controlled test shots.
That is on tripod, without Shake reduction, in good light, without any filters on the lens.
And without filter, I mean also without the (cheap ?) UV or protection filter.
Then post them here.
10-05-2009, 02:28 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Could it possibly be your computer/monitor and not your camera/lens?

Mickey
10-05-2009, 08:54 AM   #29
Veteran Member

What I find strange is 1/100 and 1/200 shutter speeds under the bright sun. Which mode you are using? Because in Nikon shot at f/7.1 the shutter speed is at 1/1000 (as the sunlight is very strong in that shot).
Good point. I wonder how he was getting such slow shutter speeds in full sun at the stated aperture and ISO? Was there perhaps an ND or polarizing filter involved? What kind of quality are talking about?

Anyhow, I agree the tripod shots look "normal", suggesting the lens itself is fine, so it's either camera shake despite SR, or missed focus (I wouldn't guarantee the camera focused exactly where the crops come from) - either of which could be a camera problem but are just as likely user-caused.

EDIT: missed the followup where the OP specifically mentioned the polarizer and wind. That explains the low shutter speeds. Might also explain some of the overall softness if it was not a high quality filter. And the relatively slow shutter speeds combined with the wind explains the rest.
10-05-2009, 11:09 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Good point. I wonder how he was getting such slow shutter speeds in full sun at the stated aperture and ISO? Was there perhaps an ND or polarizing filter involved? What kind of quality are talking about?

Anyhow, I agree the tripod shots look "normal", suggesting the lens itself is fine, so it's either camera shake despite SR, or missed focus (I wouldn't guarantee the camera focused exactly where the crops come from) - either of which could be a camera problem but are just as likely user-caused.

EDIT: missed the followup where the OP specifically mentioned the polarizer and wind. That explains the low shutter speeds. Might also explain some of the overall softness if it was not a high quality filter. And the relatively slow shutter speeds combined with the wind explains the rest.
Marc, the TO stated that he used a CPL on the Pentax and just a UV on the Nikon. That is the explanation for the longer shutter speed. He also stated (which I only read after my last reply, that there was a breeze which may account for the camera shake.

Ben