Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2007, 07:51 PM   #16

Nice looking lens! It doesn't have a tripod mount though? Seems like a lot of weight to hang off the camera?

06-01-2007, 08:45 PM   #17
Inactive Account

M* and A* 300mm f4 Are Optically Identical

QuoteOriginally posted by larrycook99 Quote
Also for those who know, aren't the M* and the A* the same except for the A setting?
Correct. Idential lenses except for the aperture mechanism. The older "K" mount is a different lens that is much longer and lacks the ED glass found in the M* and A* 300mm f4. Hence the tendency for CA.

Last edited by GaryML; 06-01-2007 at 08:53 PM.
06-01-2007, 08:53 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ozclick Quote

The only letdown is the aperture...when off the camera it`s clean and moves accordingly but once it`s on, the aperture is locked wide open. It goes to wide open even if I have set it before going onto the camera. Looking backwards through the lens nothing moves when the aperture ring is turned. Sometimes moving the aperture lever on the back of the lens, the blades will get stuck in a certain position and takes a couple of more flicks to make them work again.
Is it mechanical or just my inexperience with a full manual lens?
When mounted on the camera, the aperture is always wide open regardless of the setting of the aperture ring. This is by design, as it gives you a brighter viewfinder image. The aperture should close to the set f-stop when the shutter is triggered. I assume you enabled the aperture ring in the custom menu setting and are using the camera in manual mode.

When unmounted, when you set the aperture ring to a small aperture and move the actuation lever, the aperture blades should move freely and snap open and shut . If the aperture blades stick or hang, then something is wrong. Common problems include oil on the aperture blades, a broken or missing spring, or something bent or misaligned. It will need repair if this is the case.
06-08-2007, 03:27 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well to answer all queries and thoughts....... I`ve learn`t a great deal with this lens. Green button is being well used now! I like how I actually `use` the camera more now than with a auto lens.
I now officially have LBA haha.... I`m looking for more M lenses to buy. I just recently purchased a SMC Pentax 50mm F1.7 and I`ve never come across a lens that is so easy to use! Beautiful colours and contrast.

I have a sort of long story abour the M 300mm f4 so I`ll cut it down to size a bit.
Aperture not working....take the rear of the lens apart and repair the slide lever.

Find a filter to fit the front and in taking off the filter found the front of the lens was loose so I cleaned the front element and `seated` the glass properly where I now experience very little CA!
Most pics are nice and sharp now

Cheers for all the advice guys.

Chris

06-08-2007, 04:01 AM   #20

Hi Chris,

I have a sort of long story abour the M 300mm f4 so I`ll cut it down to size a bit.
Aperture not working....take the rear of the lens apart and repair the slide lever.

Find a filter to fit the front and in taking off the filter found the front of the lens was loose so I cleaned the front element and `seated` the glass properly where I now experience very little CA!
Chris
Do You need any special tool for this (opening the lens)?
I'm asking, because I have an old manual Tokina zoom 70-200mm, which seems to ave a dirty front lens element (I'm pretty sure it's not fungus), and was thinking to clean it myself if it't is not too big an issue....

Thanks,
Bostjan
06-08-2007, 07:23 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I have one I got used and I also feel it is a great bargain. As previously noted, it is heavy and slow to focus. I use mine with a monopod for swim meets and pre-focus for the area I will be shooting in. Used like this, I get excellent results but it is not a lens that works well to capture spontaneous moments.
06-11-2007, 05:48 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I don`t think all lenses are built the same so I take it was a fluke that mine was loose and I put a filter on it!
So far it has worked flawlessly and I`m gett better at figuring out when and where the CA will pop up. Sometimes you can see it through the viewfinder
This was taken from the top of my tree looking east towards Sydney CBD.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
06-11-2007, 06:50 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I finally got the lens. Bit of a shock when I mounted it on the K10D.
There sure is alot of weight there.
Gave it a good look over and was impressed by the condition, very little marks on it and the glass has just a sprinkling of dust, no fungus or abnormal lifeforms inside
The only letdown is the aperture...when off the camera it`s clean and moves accordingly but once it`s on, the aperture is locked wide open. It goes to wide open even if I have set it before going onto the camera. Looking backwards through the lens nothing moves when the aperture ring is turned. Sometimes moving the aperture lever on the back of the lens, the blades will get stuck in a certain position and takes a couple of more flicks to make them work again.
Is it mechanical or just my inexperience with a full manual lens?
Ozclick: Thanks for posting these pictures. Always helps remind me that I really don't want anything as huge as this for myself. This sounds like it is working as expected. You may wish to review the FAQ on use of manual lenses.
06-11-2007, 09:06 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
Ozclick: Thanks for posting these pictures. Always helps remind me that I really don't want anything as huge as this for myself. This sounds like it is working as expected. You may wish to review the FAQ on use of manual lenses.
Hi Andrew, the lens is big and heavy but fairly well balanced. I have no trouble hand holding it for at least several hours of shooting. You can check out these shots made that the Smithsonian Kite festival this spring, I used the lens for at least 2 hours of fairly continuous shooting.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/5813-kites-lots-images-some-replies.html

NaCl(no where near as bad as the Bigma)H2O