Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Old style asahi pentax lens cap - question

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Anyone know how these old metal lens caps attach?

I am looking to get one to replace the screw on one on my DA15. (The DA15 has a built-in retractable hood that may preclude to use of such lens caps).

10-06-2009, 11:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
Anyone know how these old metal lens caps attach?

I am looking to get one to replace the screw on one on my DA15. (The DA15 has a built-in retractable hood that may preclude to use of such lens caps).
These Takumar caps, of which I have many are held in place by nothing else than friction. On the inner rim there's a strip of "suede" for the necessary friction and prevention of scratching of the lens.
10-06-2009, 11:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks. It doesn't sound like it would fit on the DA15. Pity. I'm guessing that only recent caps that sit flush on the end of the filter thread would fit.
10-07-2009, 12:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Pentax also made spring-loaded caps with two tabs that grip onto the filter threads. I have several of them for a 49mm thread which came with the 28, 50 and 100mm lenses I bought back in the 70s and 80s.

10-07-2009, 12:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They look nice but as they age the metal lens caps can be a pain to use. The felt lining gets crushed down and the caps tend to just fall off. I expect the felt could be replaced but I've mostly picked up generic centre pinch lens caps for day to day use.
10-07-2009, 12:16 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sean Nelson Quote
Pentax also made spring-loaded caps with two tabs that grip onto the filter threads. I have several of them for a 49mm thread which came with the 28, 50 and 100mm lenses I bought back in the 70s and 80s.
Yes I considered those too. I suspect that those wouldn't fit on the DA15 as they overlap the filter ring and would thus foul the DA15's built-in retractable hood - which sits flush with the outside edge of filter ring when retracted.
10-07-2009, 12:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Yes I considered those too. I suspect that those wouldn't fit on the DA15 as they overlap the filter ring and would thus foul the DA15's built-in retractable hood - which sits flush with the outside edge of filter ring when retracted.
They don't. I've got that type of cap and a DA15.

Unless you've got a filter on the lens, it will have to fit flush to the filter ring.

10-07-2009, 01:12 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wasser Quote
They don't. I've got that type of cap and a DA15.
As I suspected. Thanks

I have however tried a more modern flush fitting Pentax cap off my F80-200 F4.7-5.6 and that fits great.

Only trouble is I am planning to see the 80-200 and would like to sell it with the original caps. It's strange that the only type of Pentax lens caps not currently available on ebay as these ones.
10-07-2009, 02:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Could consider fitting the pinch caps on the hood itself - that's what I did, putting a 52mm pinch cap on the hood of my FA 77 (filter size 49mm). My problem with the FA 77's original push on cap was that it kept falling off since I keep a UV filter on it, which would protrude out when the retractable hood is fully retracted. With the pinch cap on the hood itself - problem solved!
10-07-2009, 04:16 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by knyghtfall Quote
Could consider fitting the pinch caps on the hood itself - that's what I did, putting a 52mm pinch cap on the hood of my FA 77 (filter size 49mm). My problem with the FA 77's original push on cap was that it kept falling off since I keep a UV filter on it, which would protrude out when the retractable hood is fully retracted. With the pinch cap on the hood itself - problem solved!
Good suggestion but the DA15 has a petal-style hood so I don't think it would work.
10-07-2009, 07:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Good suggestion but the DA15 has a petal-style hood so I don't think it would work.
I start enlightened. One alternative I can think on is to get a plastic push on cap, which holds better than a metal one with the felt lining that can get depressed. That's the standard lens cap for my F 17 - 28 fisheye, which had a similarly odd filter rim with the sides cut away. You can see the image of the lens rim and cap here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/69725-sale-sold-pentax-f-17-28...orld-wide.html

You can probably find a third party plastic push on cap for yours, like this:
51mm Push On Cap - eBay (item 390102668766 end time Nov-04-09 17:10:59 PST)

Hope that helped.
10-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

A push on cap may not work too well with the DA15. The petal hood isn't smooth. The cap would rest on a slightly raised and very narrow space. I'm not sure it would provide the necessary friction to hold the cap on.

I can't find this anywhere else, but this appears to me a modern Pentax 49mm pinch cap. It should work.

Pentax O-LC49 49mm Lens Cap - Only £7.99 - SRS Microsystems
10-07-2009, 07:26 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. Much as it would have been nice to have an old style cap on this metal lens, looks like my only option (apart from the screw-on cap) is one of these modern style flush-fitting pinch caps.