Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2009, 12:01 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
pentax 35mm or tamron 90mm

Hi guys !

Need some help please.

After six months using my kit lens 18-55 ALII ive decided to buy a new lens. (not in a hurry as u see)

It will be used for shooting jewelries and minerals, thats the main reason.
Though i like shooting landscapes as well, maybe the 35 mm better for that purpose, i dont know really...
At my local store these lenses have the same price.

SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro
Tamron 90mm f/2.8 SP Di Macro

What do u think ?
thanks\peter

10-07-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have the DA 35mm 2.8 Macro and it is my favorite lens. I haven't used the Tamron 90 2.8 Macro so I can't tell you what that's like.

10-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
D W
Veteran Member

If you are shooting small objects a longer focal length wiil give you more freedom in composition, maneuvering the camera or subject and lighting.
10-07-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have 3 macro lenses: 135mm, 90mm, and 50mm.

The 90mm happens to be a Tamron f/2.8.

For macro photography, I use the 90mm about 80% of the time. The rest 20% is divided equally between the 50mm and the 135mm.

The 90mm offers a very comfortable distance to work with, especially when used with a ring light. The 50mm requires small distances. Many time the lens itself blocks the light. At 1:1, the hood or the ring light virtually touches the object. A 35mm macro lens requires even smaller distances.

The 90mm also great for portraits.

I have some test photos of the Tamron 90mm in this thread.

10-07-2009, 12:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

OTH, a shorter focal length provides for better DOF... and for the type of shooting you plan, having a separate light source (ie. off camera) is probably the way to go.

And to add some outrage - for your subject matter, perhaps a p&s with good macro is better yet, as you get a very deep DOF.

(That said, I have a Tamron 90mm Adaptall )
10-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #6

Original Poster
Yes, have a light tent and 2x 5500k continuous lights.

1 side 90 mm > more distance for shooting, moving camera and lighting for better composition
other side 35mm > better dof
now iam stuck and standby...

nice shots LeDave, especially that cake.

what is p&s pardon me
10-07-2009, 01:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

P&S = Point and Shoot.

With a light tent, the extra distance the 90mm gives probably is a good thing; the amount of light you can put on the subject allows you to shoot well stopped down.

You can sort of try it out with your kit lens - set it to 35mm and even if it can't focus that close, see how near you need to get to fill the frame with a typical bit of rock.

10-07-2009, 01:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
a shorter focal length provides for better DOF...
... only if the distances from sensor to subject are the same.

But for the same magnification (e.g. 1:2), shorter focal length requires smaller distance. Smaller distance results in thinner DOF (if FL remains the same).

It's not so clear-cut.
10-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have both lenses, and I'd definitely prefer the 90 for that sort of product photography. Both are incredible lenses.
10-07-2009, 03:04 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
OTH, a shorter focal length provides for better DOF... and for the type of shooting you plan, having a separate light source (ie. off camera) is probably the way to go.

And to add some outrage - for your subject matter, perhaps a p&s with good macro is better yet, as you get a very deep DOF.

(That said, I have a Tamron 90mm Adaptall )
Actually, for the same aperture and the same magnification, the DOF will be the same. The FOV will be greater for the shorter focal length lens.
10-07-2009, 03:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentxfun Quote
Hi guys !

Need some help please.

After six months using my kit lens 18-55 ALII ive decided to buy a new lens. (not in a hurry as u see)

It will be used for shooting jewelries and minerals, thats the main reason.
Though i like shooting landscapes as well, maybe the 35 mm better for that purpose, i dont know really...
At my local store these lenses have the same price.

SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro
Tamron 90mm f/2.8 SP Di Macro

What do u think ?
thanks\peter
Hi Peter,

I have had both DA 18-55 II and DA 35 Ltd Macro. I have also had DFA100 Macro and Voigtl'a'nder 90mm Close-Focus.

The DA 35 is a really excellent lens, maybe the best all-purpose lens. Great image-quality, build-quality.

The DA 18-55 II is inferior to the DA 35, but still quite good especially between 24~35mm range and stopped-down. The 18-55 II is also quite useful as an all around lens because of the 18mm end and it can close-focus.

Therefore, I think a longer lens is more suitable, it will complement the 18-55 II instead of overlapping it.

If you are worried that 90mm will be too long, then consider also the Pentax DFA 50mm Macro or the Sigma 70mm Macro. (The Sigma 70mm is really desirable to me...if I didn't already have the Voigtlander 58mm and 90mm lenses which are both also good at controlling CA, it would be on my need-list instead of my want-list).

No matter which Macro lens you choose, one thing that will benefit you greatly is most are are very good at reducing CA (chromatic aberrations) and purple-fringing very well. This is really important for shooting metal subjects, or other very shiny products. But from what other PF'ers are saying, the Sigma is great.

Some jewellry examples from the Sigma 70:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/60138-sigma-ex...rst-macro.html
and comparision Sigma 70 vs. 90:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/32308-sigma-70...0mm-macro.html
10-08-2009, 02:22 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think, my own experience reflects, what most have written here: I have the Pentax 50mm macro, the Tamron 90mm and a Voigtlander 180mm.
Most of the time (by a large margin), I use the 90mm, especially in the studio. It gives me much more freedom to place the light.
Also the longer working distance avoids distortions of the subjects, which the closer distance a 35mm lens would afford (to reach the same magnification), would produce (perspective distortion, has nothing to do with a technical problem).

I can see, that a 35mm lens might be better as a general purpose landscape lens. But I would not let this dictate my choice for a macro lens.

Ben
10-08-2009, 05:49 AM   #13

Hi there.

I also have both actually even if I didn't tested the 35 a lot.

The Tamron is fixed to my body 80% of the time when I go out shooting. But I don't shoot jewelry but insects, so being able to shoot at a bigger distance - for me - the Tamron is better.

But your choices are: jewelry and landscapes.

Just taking in account those two factors, I would definitely go for the Pentax 35mm Ltd.
It's really a nice lens and the quick shift is really handy.

For an opinion of Tamron quality, you can go take a look at my photos on fli*kr.
All the macros you'll see are done with the Tamron 90mm. For 35, I'll try to post one here asap. Then you can compare pictures from different people on different bodies.

Btw, can I ask you what body you are using?
10-08-2009, 04:42 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks for all your inputs guys, really appreciated.

It seems that for this kind of photos 90 mm tamron would be a better choice.

What is in my mind at the moment.
In the link (thanks Dave) someone wrote that
>The Tamron 90 (which I have) has the purple fringe thing, very noticeable on jewelry as I have found out.<
I have almost decided to buy tamron but confused again..
Main reason why id like to buy a new macro lens, shooting things like rings necklaces gemstones etc.
These things are really tiny, about 3 to 10mm diameter.
Landscape or any other thing just would be optional.
That sigma 70 macro lens is 40 % more expensive than tamron or pentax lenses.
Is that lens so good worth that 40 % ?

K20d and love it !
Yes please, if u can take some photos of shiny metal things would be great ! tell me how is going with purple fringing.

(Well at least if i buy the 35 mm ill stay loyal to the pentax brand.)

peter
10-08-2009, 06:13 PM   #15

I faced the same lens decision just a short while ago, I chose the Pentax 35 and I couldn't be happier, takes great shots, and the macro has really impressed me thus far. If you plan on shooting bugs and such however, go with the Tammy.