Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
Banned

Honeywell Pentax Takumar Lens Manual

here are some select scans from my recently aquired manual. I thought these particular pages would be of interest to some folks. I might get around to scaning all the pages (70+) with all the available Takuamr lenses at some point.

enjoy!

10-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool! Are you trying to catch up with Nesster?
10-07-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Cool! Are you trying to catch up with Nesster?
I dont think it would be possible, even if I wanted to! just thought id share a bit of useful information.
10-07-2009, 11:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I just bought a Takumar manual for $1 on ebay but I have to wait a few months until I can read it.

10-08-2009, 12:46 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Séamuis!
It it delightfull to see how much care they took to explain the optics to costumers! Quite well done also from a pedagogical point of view.
10-08-2009, 05:12 AM   #6
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote
I just bought a Takumar manual for $1 on ebay but I have to wait a few months until I can read it.
you bought a Takumar Lens Dealer Manual like this one? for 1 dollar? if thats the case I am very jeleous, as I paid much more than that.
10-08-2009, 05:18 AM   #7
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Thanks Séamuis!
It it delightfull to see how much care they took to explain the optics to costumers! Quite well done also from a pedagogical point of view.
it is very interesting, especially when you compare to modern time. where is such info available from Pentax now? I wonder if canon or nikon have such information available? the manual is really neat, it has a page for every Takumar lens available at the time. (including the ultra-achromatic takumars) giving pretty much everything you need to know about each lens. including a cutout diagram of the lens with measurements. it also includes charts for "sine of spherical aberration", "degree of distortion" & "astigmatism". its really impressive. I just wished it included all prior lenses as well as the current (super-takumar) lenses.

10-08-2009, 06:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

That's excellent! thanks for sharing
10-08-2009, 07:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I bought this manual, looks different than yours.
Attached Images

03-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #10
JFD

Photos: Albums
If anyone is still looking for a copy of the Honeywell Pentax Takumar Lens Manual I found a PDF copy of it here for free download:

https://rapidshare.com/#!download|235tl2|350368526|honeywell_pentax_takumar_...BBA6F4AFF4|0|0
03-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JFD Quote
If anyone is still looking for a copy of the Honeywell Pentax Takumar Lens Manual I found a PDF copy of it here for free download:

https://rapidshare.com/#!download|235tl2|350368526|honeywell_pentax_takumar_lens_manual.pdf|8724|R~1B1F10BC03A08FB26F12CABBA6F4AFF4|0|0
Thanks!
05-13-2014, 09:15 AM   #12

Hi,
Can anyone share with this manual ?
link doesn't work anymore.

Thanks in advance
05-13-2014, 12:19 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
it is very interesting, especially when you compare to modern time. where is such info available from Pentax now? I wonder if canon or nikon have such information available? the manual is really neat, it has a page for every Takumar lens available at the time. (including the ultra-achromatic takumars) giving pretty much everything you need to know about each lens. including a cutout diagram of the lens with measurements. it also includes charts for "sine of spherical aberration", "degree of distortion" & "astigmatism". its really impressive. I just wished it included all prior lenses as well as the current (super-takumar) lenses.

This manual is an example of something which used to be done in marketing - the document that explains technical detail to convey the message: "Our product must be good because we are able to explain how it works."

The other side of this is it gives us the information that helps us to use the product most effectively for our purpose.

A problem with the internet is that it is assumed anyone can find out the information (much of it is generic optics) somewhere on the internet so there is not the same advantage for the manufacturer to produce such information - it is expensive to write.

Also, this comes from when multi-coating had just been put into commercial production. I remember at high school a few years later (not many) that it was a big deal to explain how multi-coating works and distinguishing it from single or no coating.
05-13-2014, 03:55 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I thought these particular pages would be of interest to some folks.
Thanks for scanning and posting.

From a technical writing point of view, this is a model of good communication - clear, uncluttered pages; simplified language, but not too much; and a page design that conveys a technical sense (not marketing fluff). The title - What you should know about lenses - attracts your attention; the text proceeds to tell you.

Wouldn't mind some more! How about shoveling more coal into that scanner?

- Craig
01-01-2023, 03:27 PM   #15

i know im kinda a decade late to the party but does anyone by chance happen to have a version of the hard to get manual that i might be able to download?