Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2007, 09:28 PM   #1

Macro Lens - Pentax D FA vs Sigma EX

Hi, I am looking at a choice here... Pentax 50mm D FA f/2.8 Macro or a Sigma EX DG 50mm f/2.8

Pentax is about $100 more expensive in USD

Anyone have any opinions on either of these? I want a good 1:1 Close up lens for fine macro. The Pentax while more expensive, is smaller and lighter, I have tried it out, but not the Sigma.

Thanks, Phil

05-28-2007, 02:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi Phil

I don't have either lens (I have got FA50/2.8 myself) but don't forget that DFA and DA lenses have got the Quick-Shift function, ie you can manual foucs the lens without switching the AF/MF switch. I *guess* with the Sigma lens, you might need to make two changes to turn the lens into manual focus, one on the lens and another on the camera body. So it slows you down.

Please feel free to correct me as I don't have either lens.

cheers
Kenny
05-28-2007, 02:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
if you said the dfa100 vs the sigma 105 EX I would say the Pentax... But with the 50s I would have to say the Sigma. Its cheaper and an amazing lens, I sold it as I wanted a longer macro, but sometimes regret it and my girlfriend will never let me forget it (she loved it)...
05-28-2007, 12:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by matix Quote
Hi, I am looking at a choice here... Pentax 50mm D FA f/2.8 Macro or a Sigma EX DG 50mm f/2.8

Anyone have any opinions on either of these? I want a good 1:1 Close up lens for fine macro. The Pentax while more expensive, is smaller and lighter, I have tried it out, but not the Sigma.

Thanks, Phil
As an alternative you may want to consider the Sigma 70mm macro. This is touted as perhaps the sharpest lens Sigma have produced and gets very high ratings by all the testers I have read. I also like the 70mm focal length with the APS size sensors as that equates to the 105 macro that I am used to using with my MZs.

I am also speculating that Pentax will introduce a lens in that focal length as they already have a 70 mm pancake and a 35mm macro limited. Seems likly we will see a 70 mm macro limited. I am holding out for that as I already have the 105 Sigma and a set of extention tubes.

Cheers, Mike.

05-28-2007, 02:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by matix Quote

Thanks, Phil
hi, i am in middle of changing to the pentax, mostly due a/ size and weight - the pentax is heaps smaller. b/ the sigma has the horrible pull /push change to manual focus as well as on camera switch whereas the pentax has quick shift - so eliminating the two steps to change.

to me if image quality is the same then those two features are worth $100.

I am waiting for carmodys.com (trade on ebay as prodigital2000) to get more in (late this week hopefully) they had some a few weeks ago roughly $400-450 canadian (cant remember exact price but was cheapest i've seen anywhere inc postage to australia)

regards
phil
05-28-2007, 09:39 PM   #6
Forum Member

I went for the Pentax DFA 100mm because of the quick shift ability. However, it doesn't have a limiter. But even without a limiter, I heard many people get good AF speed with the lens.
05-29-2007, 12:00 AM   #7

Original Poster
I purchased the Sigma 50mm 2.8 EX DG

Well after weighing all the numbers, and thanks for the feedback, seemed to be equally divided on which way to go, so my vote was weighted on the cost saving.

B & H Photo had the 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma for $269 US, compared to $399 for the Pentax. In Australian dollars... $329 and $487 respectively.

That compares with a price from a dealer in Melbourne for $749 AUD for the Pentax 50mm D FA 2.8 Macro

I like the EX lenses, that will make 3 now. This new one 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro, and the SIGMA 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 Macro, the 10-20mm 2.8 EX Wide, The Big Kahuna 50-500 EX Bigma, 18-200 DG 3.5-6.7 and sole remaining Pentax lens FA 50mm 1.7 AF.

I think by LBA is cured now... some samples soon as it arrives.

Oh yes, my K10D, AF540FGZ and AF360FGZ flashes and other assorted stuff... are we having fun yet?

Phil

05-30-2007, 03:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're gonna love the Sigma 50mm EX. I never take mine off the camera. Don't see why you need it when you have that wonderful Sigma 17-70. I have no trouble focusing or changing from auto to manual focus on my Sigma 50.
I'm looking for a Pentax 28-105 3.2 zoom lens (silver or black, as long as its not the Tamron model) , just because I need soom zoom for certain occasions. If anyone has a used one for sale or knows where to buy a new one, I would love to know.
Freddy