Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2009, 08:15 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
M42 Helios 44-2 question

Hi all,

I have a Helios 44-2 waiting for me at the post office.

But I think I read some threads that said that there is a risk that a pin in the lens get stuck in the camera body. But is this true for the 44-2 version of the lens too?

I think I have only seen it mentioned in threads about the 44m, but I am not sure...

10-08-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Never heard about this, myself. I have the 44M and the 44K-4.
10-08-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wowtip Quote
Hi all,

I have a Helios 44-2 waiting for me at the post office.

But I think I read some threads that said that there is a risk that a pin in the lens get stuck in the camera body. But is this true for the 44-2 version of the lens too?

I think I have only seen it mentioned in threads about the 44m, but I am not sure...
There are some (like the 44-5 or 44-6 that I had) that don't have the manual/ auto switch and so you have to open it up and keep the pin depressed somehow or it'll stay wide open.

Pin getting stuck in the body is a problem with Ricoh PK/R lenses where there's a pin right where the screw drive in the digital bodies is. You might be thinking of that.

Not saying "don't be careful," but just my experience!
10-08-2009, 11:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have 2 of the 44-2's. No problems. I'm sure that Gus wouldn't be as big a fan of that lens either if it was potentially damaging.

10-08-2009, 12:22 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you for your prompt replies. Now I can sleep well and not worry when getting the package tomorrow.

This post is what made me wonder...

QuoteOriginally posted by dancheng Quote
Hi Voe,

What follows is OT a bit. Hope you don't mind.

I have a Helios-44M-4. It gave me a scarce when I mounted it first time on my k10d because I had great difficulty to dismount it.

I later gathered that the Helios, unlike the Takumars, has no A/M switch. Hence the stop down pin could get stuck into certain opening of the PK mount. This therefore impedes the unscrewing of the M42 lens from the camera body. I did not recall what I did to get the stop-down pin undone and was hence able to dismount the lens.

Since then, I dared not to try the Helios-44M-4 on my k10d anymore. Seeing your shots, I am now tempted to try it out again. Could you kindly share with me how you overcome this hurdle of dismounting the lens from a DSLR body? Thanks!

For your information, I used a genuine Pentax PK-M42 adapter.
From: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/29995-old-syle...4-2-bokeh.html

I think I read it somewhere else too.
10-08-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
Igilligan

There is no problem with the 44-2 or the 44M as to any pin getting stuck...

Look forward to seeing your shots with it.
Have you used the preset aperture lenses before?
10-08-2009, 02:08 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
There is no problem with the 44-2 or the 44M as to any pin getting stuck...

Look forward to seeing your shots with it.
Have you used the preset aperture lenses before?
Thanks Gus, I have seen some of the stuff from your Helios' and if I manage to get anywhere near those results, I will be a very happy camper.

And no. I have not used any preset lenses, but I have done some reading and I think I understand the concept. However, I am prepared for some head scratching, come tomorrow.
10-09-2009, 11:09 AM   #8

Original Poster

Seems like a nice lens. Nice contrast and good sharpness even wide open, and I like the bokeh. Preset was very easy to get the hang of.

One thing though. Exposure is varying very much. When shooting at f2 I think it need an EV +1, but when shooting at f8 it overexposure a lot and needed EV-1 and more... Is this a known problem?

Also, i think I need to look at one of these split screens... Old cheap glass is an expensive hobby.

10-09-2009, 07:47 PM   #9
Igilligan

Excellent...

These are really nice.

Hey my exposure is all over the place with different lenses...

The K7 is supposed to be more accurate especially in the LV mode I hear... but my K100 and K20 tend to do kind of what you describe. In reality I am almost always wide open or near it... seldom do I stop down much so I usually set the exp bias at F2.8 or so...

Love the shot of the little one!
10-10-2009, 01:42 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, great shots, typically Helios! Welcome to the fun!

It is as Gus says: exposure with these lenses - as with all manual lenses except the A-series in A-position - is a bit trial and error, but when you're accustomed to it, it works fine. And it keeps you from buying more than 100 manuals, because you have to remember the peculiarities of all lenses in this respect...
10-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #11

Original Poster
Gus, Rense, thanks for the encouragement! Yes, this is really a "fun" lense, where a large amount of the "fun" means "really good". The FA50 has always been my portrait lens, but I think it might get pushed asida a bit now and only used in situations where AF is needed.

Which brings me to... Do you guys use any split screen or magnifier? I am getting better at MF, but it is still very much hit and miss. More miss to be honest. And I can't say I trus AF confirmation very much either. If you have recommendations, I am all ears.
10-10-2009, 02:30 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Johan,

I myself use a split screen, a cheap Chinese one wich is quite good, although it isn't cut straight (such that it doesn't level with the horizon....). It helps a lot!
10-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #13

How do you open up the lens- and what/how do you press in the pin? I have a M44-2 on the way to me from the Ukraine...

For manual focus I use the magnified mode in LV- I LOVE it!
10-11-2009, 08:19 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Leya216 Quote
How do you open up the lens- and what/how do you press in the pin? I have a M44-2 on the way to me from the Ukraine...

For manual focus I use the magnified mode in LV- I LOVE it!
There was no pin on the M44-2 I recieved, so this should not be a problem.

I took it for a short walk today...

Dull weather, but some of the images came out great anyway.
10-11-2009, 11:38 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The M44-2 has a pre set aperture - no auto pin to worry about. There are two aperture rings at the front of the lens, one with the sprung stops and the other operates the aperture. It sounds more complicated than it is, you will see when you get the lens and I very much doubt you will be disapointed with your investment.