Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 DG HSM II Macro Zoom Lens.....help!

Ok, here we go..........I keep waffling around, trying to figure out what lens I'm going to purchase to replace my cheapo Tamron 70-300mm daylight lens. The Tamron does pretty good during sunny days, but quickly shows its short-comings when the light starts to slip away.

I shoot lots of soccer, softball, football games, with some indoor shooting such as vollyball. Obviously, the vollyball shots aren't all that great.

Anyway, is this the lens I want to replace my cheapo Tamron? I really want a lens that does better in low light, and am willing to give up a little reach in order to do it.

Thoughts, suggestions, etc.? Thank you.

vmax84

10-08-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm kind of in the same spot you're in. I sold my da*50-135 to fund a 77ltd purchase but now miss the tele reach (though 135 wasn't really long enough for me, which is one of the reasons I decided to sell it). I've been looking at the sigma and tamron 70-200 for awhile, at the same time keeping my eye on the da*60-250. After mulling over this for awhile, I decided IQ and build quality rules over a slightly faster lens -I'm going for the da*60-250. It's more than twice the price, so I'm impatiently saving for this.......
10-08-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Indeed, your budget will dictate this more than anything.
The 70-200s are great, but I'm sure the 60-250 is simply unrivalled. And in the application for sports, I couldn't think of a better lens for the job IMO.

I recently acted upon my wish to get a fast 70-200 and so far have been disappointed waiting for a keeper. They're fine lenses when you can get a good copy - I've so far returned two Tamrons and a Sigma for QC problems, but am persevering because the Tamron is an excellent lens optically.
10-08-2009, 08:04 PM   #4
Ari
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Indeed, your budget will dictate this more than anything.
The 70-200s are great, but I'm sure the 60-250 is simply unrivalled. And in the application for sports, I couldn't think of a better lens for the job IMO.

I recently acted upon my wish to get a fast 70-200 and so far have been disappointed waiting for a keeper. They're fine lenses when you can get a good copy - I've so far returned two Tamrons and a Sigma for QC problems, but am persevering because the Tamron is an excellent lens optically.
Which is what makes me so nervous....there aren't ANY local retailers (in the fifth largest metropolitan area in the U.S. no less) that sells Tamron or Sigma 70-200's in a Pentax mount. After hearing all of the qc issues with both lenses, the idea of having to return multiple copies of a lens back to an online retailer is making me queazy just thinking about it.......

10-08-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use the Sigma for my daughter's field hockey and lacrosse and have ben very happy with it (if not always my competent handling of it ;~)
10-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #6

Are you dead set on the APO EX DG HSM II Macro version? You could always buy a used APO EX DG, or even an APO EX. Make sure you get some test pictures so you know it's a good copy and...off you go.
10-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #7

I purchased the HSM version of this lens about a month ago to replace the 50 - 200 kit lens. I looked at both the 60-250 and the Sigma. The extra stop, 3 year warrenty, and $$ left over in my pocket were the deciding factors in that purchase. I took the $ left over and invsted in a better tripod and ballhead.

So far I have been plesantly surprised with the quality of my pictures. The AF on my K10 has never felt so snappy.

10-08-2009, 09:34 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
Which is what makes me so nervous....there aren't ANY local retailers (in the fifth largest metropolitan area in the U.S. no less) that sells Tamron or Sigma 70-200's in a Pentax mount. After hearing all of the qc issues with both lenses, the idea of having to return multiple copies of a lens back to an online retailer is making me queazy just thinking about it.......
Although even if you get one locally, a lot of the issues these lenses seem to be prone to occur later on down the track, with use. It would have to be returned anyway. For me I was fortunate (although I expected it from the last Tamron) to find the sticky aperture lever rearing itself less than 15 days after purchase. Knowing I won't find one locally to test, I opted for B&H to simply repair it under their own warranty conditions.

I'll be sure to post results of their repair when I get it back (the biggest setback from buying online... the wait).
10-08-2009, 11:31 PM   #9
Pentaxian

But then I'm sure you'd be glad of f2.8 as against f4 on occassion, as I am even outdoors shooting sport late afternoon mid-winter, and probably when you are inside doing volleyball.
10-09-2009, 12:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I know that I'm just stating something you already know Ash, but others may not.
If you can send your camera body in with a lens your returning for repairs it's best to.
The company will usually test, and calibrate the lens to work at it's best, with your camera.
You'll often notice a HUGE difference in image quality.

I know of a couple pro shooters that send all their camera bodies, and lenses once a year for this service, to ensure the best results possible.
10-09-2009, 02:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thirdofthree Quote
Are you dead set on the APO EX DG HSM II Macro version? You could always buy a used APO EX DG, or even an APO EX. Make sure you get some test pictures so you know it's a good copy and...off you go.
Well, that's part of my problem, as I don't know enough about these lens to distingush the difference. That's why I'm kinda dragging my feet, since I want to make an educated purpose and not buy the old lens for the new lens price. Something that I've been known to do before.

vmax84
10-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
Did you try "The Camera Shop" in Bryn Mawr? I know they don't carry Sigma, but they do carry the Tamron 70-200 in various mounts.
10-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
Did you try "The Camera Shop" in Bryn Mawr? I know they don't carry Sigma, but they do carry the Tamron 70-200 in various mounts.

I'm not sure where 'Bryn Mawr" is at, and, I thought the Sigma was head and shoulders better than its Tamron equivalent?

vmax84
10-09-2009, 12:49 PM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I know that I'm just stating something you already know Ash, but others may not.
If you can send your camera body in with a lens your returning for repairs it's best to.
The company will usually test, and calibrate the lens to work at it's best, with your camera.
You'll often notice a HUGE difference in image quality.

I know of a couple pro shooters that send all their camera bodies, and lenses once a year for this service, to ensure the best results possible.
An ideal situation. That would be great - in my case, however, I bought a lens that simply failed mechanically within the vendor's warranty period - so I'm asking for it to be repaired by B&H themselves, whom I'm not sure wold test it with my camera if I had it sent in.

Optically, the lens was perfect.
10-09-2009, 12:50 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't speak for the HSM version of the sigma lens, but I have an origonal APO 70-200 F2.8 EX (Non DG version)

While I can share some people's issues on quality (my first one the lens hood went on at 30degrees off level - OOPS! ) the optical quality and build quality of my second lens, now 6 years old, is exceptional.

I use mine a ton wide open, and for me, to be limited to F4 now would be a shame.

In addition, I use it with 1.4 x and 2 X sigma TCs and it really shines as a 100-280 mm F4 or 140-400mm F5.6 zoom. Again with the TCs I use it wide open. Here the reach plus speed is something that I won't easily trade for the 60-250F4 lens.