Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm richer than I thought. I own this lens. Tak 55mm f1.8

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

So if this one is worth this much, how about my Tak 50mm f1.4 (a considerably better lens IMO). Would anyone give me $999 for it? It's sharper and faster....

Seen any stupid Ebay "deals" lately? Like the A 50mm f1.2 at $850.00 or the ridiculously overpriced 77mm Ltd's these days.

Takumar 55mm f1.8 "deal" @ $325

Maybe the best is the LX and 50mm at $4,498.00

Last edited by Peter Zack; 10-08-2009 at 08:04 PM.
10-08-2009, 08:02 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
You can list your Tak 50/1.4 at Ebay.com with whatever price tag.....if that makes you feel rich.
10-08-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
That's right. it will only cost a few bucks for the listing fees.
10-08-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

More eBayers trying to capitalise on the sale of rare gear.
Good luck to these guys finding buyers...

10-08-2009, 10:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
So if this one is worth this much, how about my Tak 50mm f1.4 (a considerably better lens IMO). Would anyone give me $999 for it? It's sharper and faster....
I don't know Peter, I own the K-mount version of the 55mm and when I'm shooting digital I'll grab it before my Super Tak 50mm f1.4 any day of the week. I prefer the image from the 55mm.
10-09-2009, 03:59 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And only $27 shipping! I have both these lenses also and I'd have to pick the Tak 50/1.4, too, but the 55/1.8 is a very nice lens that probably doesn't get it's due, after all it's only f/1.8:-). I posted what I thought was a pretty nice pic taken with my 55/1.8 one time and someone commented something like "pretty good for a kit lens" and this may be it's main pitfall. Maybe it was a "kit" lens back in the day, a very well built, sharp kit lens but it carry's that stigma. I've never thought about selling mine but if someone offers me $400 for it, I will consider the offer:-). I don't know though, I haven't seen them that often. I don't think they are rare but you don't see one every day.
10-09-2009, 04:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Ah the they are dreaming listings, see them all too often and then the BIN or start price gradually shrinks to $0.99 startprice.

10-09-2009, 04:19 AM   #8
mel
Veteran Member

Well according to my insurance company, my tak 55/1.8 is only worth $3.15
10-09-2009, 04:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Well according to my insurance company, my tak 55/1.8 is only worth $3.15
I'll give you $5.00 cash for it Mel
Like I said, mine is the k-mount version. However this is the quality of image I get from it every time I use it.

I've also used it while shooting weddings, and with several portrait shoots all with stunning results.

I don' think I can complain for a cheap lens.
10-09-2009, 04:44 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But why ...?

This sort of topic has come up before... about absurd prices on gear on ebay.

Is it that someone HAS to look like they're trying to sell possessions for some reason, like a bankruptcy? So they post gear at prices so high that no one buys it but they meet their bank's requirements?

My son's explanation is fun: they are spies sending codes embedded in the prices.

Hmmm.....

germar
10-09-2009, 06:51 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
I agree that the 55mm is often overlooked. It's a very good lens and never gets it's real value in most sales or auctions. One huge thing in it's favour is the lens coating isn't radioactive. So you don't get the yellow glass like most of the 50 f1.4's.

I finally decided to clear the yellow glass on my 50mm. Currently it's sitting on a windowsill covered in tin foil and waiting for some sunshine to make it clear again. At this rate it will be ready to use by April '10 while I shoot with the 55mm.

Every time I see it there with it's tin foil hat, I wonder where the aliens are

Mel that really sucks!! Where the H*LL did they get that value. Insurance companies suck big time.
10-09-2009, 07:00 AM   #12
mel
Veteran Member

Mel that really sucks!! Where the H*LL did they get that value. Insurance companies suck big time.
There's some text there that tells me what they used as a replacement but it doesn't make sense really: Sunpack from newegg? S'cuze me? Sunpack makes lenses?

The one that ticks me off the most is the tak 200/3.5 preset. The ONLY one of those I can find anywhere is $100. They gave me $13.12, using as a replacement the DA 18-55. HELLO!!! Um. Not even close there guys. Then they depreciated the snot out of it because it was 50 years old.

The best part is that I got all this lovely paperwork and still no check.

It all makes me feel all warm and fuzzy with gratitude and appreciation for my wonderful Pentax Forums friends.
10-09-2009, 07:43 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Seen any stupid Ebay "deals" lately?
A poster on my local CraigsList was trying to sell a "very rare" Spotmatic with a 55mm 1.8 for $1.000! I couldn't help myself..... I dropped him a line telling him I could purchase about 10 or 15 of these on Ebay for that price. I don't know if he checked Ebay, or sold it to some mentally defective buyer, but it disappeared the next day.
10-09-2009, 09:11 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what would be really fun, would be to add up the maximum value of your lenses on flea bay or what ever, and then see what some idiot or dreamer might think you rkit is worth. Maybe a new thread, "what is the E-Bay value of your lens kit.

On a serious note, with respect to insurance, and I had this discussion with my agent when I decided to change my policy, was the following.

If you insure an itemized list with everything at a value, that is what you get, whether it is possible to replace your kit or not at that value.

If you just have it covered on your hoouse, you get replacement with new value, less the deductable.

I would gladly have my KX, ricoh XR2-s and even my PZ-1 disappear, and get perhaps 2 new K-X bodies and a new K7 as the replacements
10-09-2009, 09:22 AM   #15
mel
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
what would be really fun, would be to add up the maximum value of your lenses on flea bay or what ever, and then see what some idiot or dreamer might think you rkit is worth. Maybe a new thread, "what is the E-Bay value of your lens kit.

On a serious note, with respect to insurance, and I had this discussion with my agent when I decided to change my policy, was the following.

If you insure an itemized list with everything at a value, that is what you get, whether it is possible to replace your kit or not at that value.

If you just have it covered on your hoouse, you get replacement with new value, less the deductable.

I would gladly have my KX, ricoh XR2-s and even my PZ-1 disappear, and get perhaps 2 new K-X bodies and a new K7 as the replacements
What I don't get though is how they have an 18-55 zoom as a replacement for a 200mm.

They do depreciate the value however based on how old or how long you've had the item. For instance, for my tak 35/3.5, they used the price of an Olympus 35/3.5 at a cost of $206.95. But since my tak was aged at 40 years, they depreciated that value by 195.57.

I wonder if I went and bought the DA* 200/2.8 if they'd give me the replacement cost difference?