Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #1

A place of production of FA Limiteds

Hello,
Are Pentax FA Limiteds produced in Vietnam or still in Japan ?if they are assembled outside Japan, I am afraid that their QC can be lower than used to be. I consider buying FA 31mm 1.8 lens but also think about Zeiss 28 2.0 or 35mm 2.0. Currently I own FA 35mm and maybe upgrade to one of these lenses makes sense.
Greetings,
Alek

10-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The zeiss lenses you mention are actually made by cosina. And for the life of me I can't remember where they are situated but I can assure you those lenses aren't made in Germany, like the classic Zeiss lenses were.
10-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
Banned

as far as I know, all Cosina manufactured Zeiss, voigtlander, and others are indeed manufactured in Japan. there is still no real evidence that FA limited lenses manufactured in Viet Nam have a lower QC than those that were manufactured Japan. this has been discussed to death, and being "Made In Japan" in no way automatically makes them a better quality prodcuct.

when was the last time a Pentax camera was made in Japan? do you own a pentax body? theer is no reason to assume anything made outside of Japan is lower quality just because its made outside of Japan.
10-10-2009, 01:27 AM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
as far as I know, all Cosina manufactured Zeiss, voigtlander, and others are indeed manufactured in Japan. there is still no real evidence that FA limited lenses manufactured in Viet Nam have a lower QC than those that were manufactured Japan. this has been discussed to death, and being "Made In Japan" in no way automatically makes them a better quality prodcuct.

when was the last time a Pentax camera was made in Japan? do you own a pentax body? theer is no reason to assume anything made outside of Japan is lower quality just because its made outside of Japan.
agree on this...
just because they moved production line to where it's cheaper doesn't mean they lowered QC.

toOP:
I believe all FAltds are now manufactured in Vietnam

10-10-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Now if lenses came on the market made in China under the name "Pentex FA LTDs" that would be cause for worry The FA31 could be yours for only $600 and it's a Pentex!

For what it's worth...older Zeiss lenses (Contax/Yashica era) were made in either Germany or Japan. The German ones fetch more money but they seem to perform the same. Just throwing that out there

My Taiwan and Japan M50/1.7s produce identical images.
10-10-2009, 02:24 PM   #6

Original Poster
About Zeiss and Cosina factory, it is obvious. I thought that at least FA Ltds were made in Japan. To be honest, I would like to have the most expensive Lt that is made in Japan like my other Ltds. Pity I did not decide earlier to buy it.
Top Pentax glass was made in Japan by the Japanese people and they were known to be loyal to their home products etc. For people in Vietnam, it does not make matter if it is factory from Japan, Germany etc.
Take into consideration, that top Canon and Nikon cameras and glass is stiil made in Japan and for instance German people want to pay more for cars that were made in Germany.
I just hope that QC and quality of lens is on par with previous samples.....
Alek
10-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #7

TBH if it was made in Vietnam and they are still charging the same amount of money I would probably think twice. I would pay a premium for 'made in germany' or 'made in japan' rather than china or vietnam. Why this is I'm not sure but may be down to economic prejudice.

Disclosure: I own a 31mm and 77mm and don't care or know where they were made. They are pure magic.

10-11-2009, 07:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by c.r.brown Quote
TBH if it was made in Vietnam and they are still charging the same amount of money I would probably think twice. I would pay a premium for 'made in germany' or 'made in japan' rather than china or vietnam. Why this is I'm not sure but may be down to economic prejudice.

Disclosure: I own a 31mm and 77mm and don't care or know where they were made. They are pure magic.
I sort of felt the same way....at first...but my DA 35mm ltd is just an amazing lens and it was made in Vietnam. The feel is as solid as that of my MIJ 43ltd and 77ltd.

I was somewhat concerned when I first received my DA35mm ltd. I was very new to Pentax a few months back, around June I seem to recall, and felt I might have made an error once I learned of the relocation of the mfg to Vietnam. Face it they had no track record to backup the QA/QC side of things. But that quickly went away after using the lens...a lot...

So, I cannot say anything about the FA Ltd's from Vietnam but feel if they can get the DA Ltd's right, no reason to feel the FA's will be any different...but I thought the FA Ltd's were not being made anymore period?
10-11-2009, 07:13 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd be interested to see what prices these Vietnamese built FA ltds are at.
Significantly lower prices may not mean lower QC, but who's to know until the batch has been distributed and used?