Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2009, 10:59 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A quick sample

These two images were taken from the exact same spot using the exact same focus point. Without refocusing, tripod mounted, 2 second shutter delay. The only post processing was the automatic conversion in Adobe Lightroom, no additional sharpening and then re-sized for the web. Chose f8 as the comparison f-stop per the chart on LensTip that showed maximum resolution at f8 dropping off again at smaller aperatures. To be honest I don't think I have ever taken a picture with this lens at f8. I bought it to use wide open and rarely exceed f4.

OY - The SonyEricsson vehicle is controlled remotely via Bluetooth, It is the only Bluetooth vehicle I have ever seen and it was fun to fool around with it using my old cell phone keypad.

K20D TAv mode, Opteka 85mm, Sigma EF530-ST w/diffuser, Spot metering (by mistake), Focus point was the front wheel, EXIF intact:

1/180", f1.4, Flash WB, ISO 400, P-TTL

1/180", f8, Flash WB, ISO 400, P-TTL

Looking at the original DNG files they could be touched up with a bit of unsharp mask and a slight exposure compensation but for results straight from the camera I can't see why I would pay 2 to 5 times more money for another 85mm. I am not sure why anyone would disparage this lens or someone who buys it. Sure it's not an FA*, but for what it is, it is a great bargain and a way for us poorer folks to get a great slightly long portrait lens for our crop sensor Pentax cameras.

Added - Forgot to mention that there is some CA in the transition from the top and the front of the SonyEricsson vehicle. It is rather evident in the original f1.4 image, correctable in post processing. The f8 image does not exhibit the same CA.

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 10-15-2009 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Added
10-15-2009, 11:15 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not sure and have tried to ask the question several different ways.

What I can attest to is that there are a lot of people that swear by the 77 F1.8 and will not move from that position.

WHile they claim the images from (in at least one instance any) 85mm F1.4 lenses just don't "POP I can;t tell whether that is because the people with 77's are experienced portrait shooters, where people with cheap 85's are just starting out, and hence don't shoot the same way, or what the problem is.

ALl I know is that without a real shoot out, identical image, camera settings post processing etc, side by side, there will never be an answer.

I personally like my vivitar version of the 85mmF1.4. It is a fun lens to play with, and to be clear, when I travel, I generally take 3 zooms, my Sigma 10-20 my tamron 28-75F2.8 and my sigma 70-200 F2.8 plus a TC. If I am not going to do any nature shots the 70-200 stays home and I might pack one small prime. this could be anything in my selection from a 24mm F2.5 to the SMC 135mmF2.5. All my primes are MF. They are used more for special specific shots and shooting, where as my zooms are the general travel lenses.

I am doing a little portrait stuff, and would like to get more, but at present not enough to justify the cost of a 77mmF1.8. That is why I bought the 85mmF1.4, it was cheaper than even an SMC 85mmF1.8 which I would love to have, but just can't see spending that much for an old lens, when the F1.4 was the same price brand new, and with the "A" setting allows P-TTL flash photography on other than my *istD, and improved metering on my K10D
10-15-2009, 11:37 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Lowell,

I wasn't trying to add fuel to the fire with regard to Samyang 85mm vs. any other 85mm. I did want to point out that if you just try the lens and examine the resulting images, the Samyang should be able to stand on it's own merits. You obviously recognize this already.

I fear that most of the lens detractors have just not had an opportunity to play with the lens hands on or are solely relying on the various degrees of photgraphic ability to prejudge the Samyang's value.
10-15-2009, 11:42 AM   #34
Veteran Member

I purchased this lens (Rokinon version) a couple of days ago and I am quite happy with it. Can't go wrong for that price.

Here are 4 sample images from f1.4, f4, f8 and f22

10-15-2009, 01:09 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HogRider Quote
I purchased this lens (Rokinon version) a couple of days ago and I am quite happy with it. Can't go wrong for that price.

Here are 4 sample images from f1.4, f4, f8 and f22
Your samples confirm what LensTip showed about the lens getting softer past f8.
10-16-2009, 01:47 PM   #36
Veteran Member

any lens is softer at F/22 than at F/8...... How about a picture showing it at like F/11?
10-21-2009, 06:44 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
just some photos taken with the 85/1.4 (not mine). these results are giving me a bad hand palm itch.

note: you can view the original images on this link >>> http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=samsung_forum&page=1&sn1=&sid1=&divpag...c=asc&no=91431

I provided this link since the uploaded photos had somewhat downgraded by a significant degree in sharpness and contrast.
Attached Images

01-13-2010, 01:27 AM   #38

So has anyone else gotten one of these MF 85/1.4s?

01-13-2010, 01:52 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wrote elsewhere already about the aperture problems with this lens.

Don't say you haven't be warned.
Optically the lens is good, though not exceptional.
01-13-2010, 02:00 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
I wrote elsewhere already about the aperture problems with this lens.

Don't say you haven't be warned.
Optically the lens is good, though not exceptional.
mine is still working so far. let's see if it lasts longer (12 months) than the DA* zoom lenses. I'll reserve my grin til that day comes, for now. although I'll be contented to show a happy face for my copy.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 01-13-2010 at 12:03 PM.
01-13-2010, 07:08 AM   #41

Here, in the Pentax forum, what about the Pentax 1,4/85 vs. the cheap vivitar (etc.) 1,4/85?

I think that the Pentax users have the adecuate lens to use at 1,4 with very good build, excelent IQ. Why a cheaper (plastic!!!) lens?

Economical reasons? Well, not the point for me, since the quid here must be a protographic ones, not like this site should be the financial times.

You get what you pay. The rokinon (etc) could be a bargain. Yes, of course and should be a nice purchase. But when the theme is first class IQ and built quality too, I prefer another options.
01-13-2010, 07:40 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by estudleon Quote
Here, in the Pentax forum, what about the Pentax 1,4/85 vs. the cheap vivitar (etc.) 1,4/85?

I think that the Pentax users have the adecuate lens to use at 1,4 with very good build, excelent IQ. Why a cheaper (plastic!!!) lens?

Economical reasons? Well, not the point for me, since the quid here must be a protographic ones, not like this site should be the financial times.

You get what you pay. The rokinon (etc) could be a bargain. Yes, of course and should be a nice purchase. But when the theme is first class IQ and built quality too, I prefer another options.
the vivitar 85 F1.4 is the same as samyang, bower, rokonon, etc. they are all samyang, just relabelled, except for the vivitar that while the same optical formula but different packaging.