Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2009, 02:06 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dont overloook the Pentax DA 17-70 f4.

I have the DA 21 as well, but as a tourist / walk about lens the 17-70 is better. I think the best focal length lens for casual walkabout holiday snaps is the Sigma 18-125.

Cheers.

10-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
As with most "which lens is best" threads this one has highlighted the real advantages of Pentax lenses. There are multiple lenses that can meet your goals. The hard part is deciding what your primary concern is. Are you most interested in small / compact or are you more interested in maximum flexibility? There is no one answer to that question if you can't specify where you're willing to compromise. I own the 21mm but I also carry the 35mm LTD and the 70mm LTD in my jacket pockets and I don't even need a camera bag. I could, of course, accomplish the same thing with a DSLR and a single zoom lens but I would have to carry a lot bigger camera around. I prefer the "flexibility" of having a smaller, more compact prime setup, but that's just me.
10-12-2009, 10:35 PM   #18

Having both lenses, I have to say that it all depends on what you want to do. Do you want to pair the 21 & 40 and go out light? You could, but lack the wide angle of the 16mm. Do you want the versatility of the zoom (or replace the broken kit lens)?

Either way, I don't think you can't go wrong.
10-12-2009, 10:54 PM   #19
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

And is it just between the 16-45 and 21 that you're deciding for your tourist shots?
You may find Pentax's 18-250 something to think about, although it may not be as good in IQ or as fast as the 16-45 or 21 ltd.

There are other options, as suggested the Sigma 17-70, Tamron 17-50 and even Pentax's DA* 16-50.

Just depends on your budget and IQ demands.

10-13-2009, 03:37 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I'd vote against the 16-45 in lieu of simply replacing your kit lens. The kit lens is almost as wide and longer overall, costs next to nothing and isn't as heavy and a large as the 16-45...which can make a difference when carrying it around with you all day.

If you want to takea serious step up, and spend a little extra, the Tamron 17-50/2.8 and the Sigma 17-70/2.8 are much better, faster, better in low light of course and I have found renders overall much better than the 18-50 or the 16-45.

Jason
10-13-2009, 10:23 AM   #21

Original Poster
Hey guys, thank you very much for your advice and all the nice pics!

The discussion helped me to crystallize what I really wanted, so I ended up buying a zoom lens, namely the Tamron 17-50 mm F2.8.
10-14-2009, 02:49 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mickeymon Quote
Hey guys, thank you very much for your advice and all the nice pics!

The discussion helped me to crystallize what I really wanted, so I ended up buying a zoom lens, namely the Tamron 17-50 mm F2.8.
Don't want to sound alarmist but I hope your copy is good. This lens is notorious for having a wobbly front barrel and AF issues. Had 3 friends who had it (a Canon, a Nikon and a Pentax user) and they all had issues with the lens within 6 months of use.
10-14-2009, 04:04 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Don't want to sound alarmist but I hope your copy is good. This lens is notorious for having a wobbly front barrel and AF issues. Had 3 friends who had it (a Canon, a Nikon and a Pentax user) and they all had issues with the lens within 6 months of use.
What is "wobbly front barrel" exactly ??

10-14-2009, 05:03 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
What is "wobbly front barrel" exactly ??
To illustrate the exact issue my friends had with their copies of the Tamron:
YouTube - Tamron 17-50/2.8

YouTube - Problema Tamron 17-50

Shows how to tighten the screws but in practice it is dead easy to damage or crack the plastic ring covering the screws. A Nikon user friend had to tighten the screws twice already on his lens. Perhaps loctite might work.
YouTube - Re: Tamron 17-50/2.8
11-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #25

Hi there. I didn't knew about the front barrel issue (and thank you for posting this!), but I can confirm the AF problem. At least at two copies of this Tamron SP 17-50 mm F2.8 DiII lens.
I've bought the lens but didn't tested very carefully in the store, mainly because of the "SP" marking on it and because of some very good reviews. After a couple of days I went on a hiking tour where I took some shots mostly using manual focus and camera mounted on a tripod, so everything went great. I was so pleased about the results. This lens is very sharp indeed!
After another couple of days I've tried to experiment a bit with it, at home, shooting some pages from a book, but handheld and using the AF. And now the thunder strikes... I've found the lens has a big front focus!
I've printed a focus chart, mounted the camera on a tripod orientated at a aprox. 45 degrees angle downward, Mirror LockUp function activated (on K-7 this also deactivates the Shake Reduction automatically), focused using AF & central focus point on the test sign of the chart and took the shots using the remote control.
Without any AF correction in the camera, the focus was at 13-14mm in front of the test sign. Adjusting the AF at -5, the focus was at 8-9mm in front. I've decided to go to the maximum possible (-10), but the focus was at 4-5mm in front of the focus sign.
Next day I went at the store and they've done their tests, using my camera and my lens reaching the same result. So I asked them to try with another copy but the result were almost the same, the focus was at 11-12mm in front of the test sign without any AF adjustment in camera.
At this point they told me that the camera is the problem, so I asked them to take the test with my Pentax 18-55 mm AL WR, Pentax 50-200 ED WR and Tamron 90mm lenses. Results? As I expected. Perfectly focused images (I don't want to discuss here about the image quality of those two Pentax kit lenses... )
So now I have my copy in service for two weeks already, hoping that they will solve the problem. Otherwise, I'll ask for a refund and move to DA 16-45 or DA* 16-50.
Please excuse me for the long story, I've just tried to make people to pay extra attention when buying so called "budget lenses" as Tamron and Sigma are, even for their so called "professional line".
11-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I just ordered the DA 21 Ltd yesterday and it should be here sometime next week. I also have the 16-45, the 12-24, along with the original 18-55 kit (from my K100). The 16-45 is great, however the 12-24 is better (and much larger). That being the case I ordered the 21 for its size and weight - its just 4 oz. vs almost 14oz for the 16-45.

The idea of just replacing the kit lens has merit. The kit lens - especially the II version is suppose to be much better, and for its size and weight across the focal length range, makes it pretty difficult to beat.

Last edited by interested_observer; 11-15-2009 at 03:04 PM.
11-15-2009, 03:05 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spotmatic Quote
Distortion can be corrected in PP programs. Only you can decide which lens would suit you. *I* prefer the smaller primes.
I've heard this a lot, which programs can easily correct it semi-automatically?

Tis a shame the LR3 beta doesn't include it
11-15-2009, 03:13 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
I've heard this a lot, which programs can easily correct it semi-automatically?

Tis a shame the LR3 beta doesn't include it
PTLens. Can be used as "Edit in..." in Lightroom.