Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
Igilligan

Some quickies with the Vivi 105...

In contemplating yet another lens purchase, when I should be purging... I pulled out the Vivi 105 to check how it looked wide open. I mostly use it stopped down as a macro lens, so I shot a couple at F2.5 to see how they looked... then a couple of bug shots.

Wow, it had sit on the shelf all summer! What was I thinking? And to think I was considering selling either this one or my Vivitar Series 1 90 macro.
Now you see why it is so hard to sell anything! Everytime I would do some test shots to put in the "for sale" thread, I would find some reason to keep the lens.

Thanks to Dan for the motivation.

A baby damsel

And an even tighter crop

10-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just brilliant detail and colour Gus.
I've never seen the Viv 105's images wide open - these are excellent!
Thanks for sharing.
10-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Very nice, I really like the cat one but I can never understand why people dont post these type of topics in the photos section.
10-10-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Very nice, I really like the cat one but I can never understand why people dont post these type of topics in the photos section.

They do post images there also, but the lens section is also for posting lens-specific images, and for discussions about the lens using the images as examples. I personally like seeing images in this section for that reason.

And Gus, once again you've managed to make me regret selling a lens. At least this time I didn't sell it to you.

Nice macro, but I really love that first shot.

10-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #5
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Just brilliant detail and colour Gus.
I've never seen the Viv 105's images wide open - these are excellent!
Thanks for sharing.
Ash, only the cat and the menace are wide open... I did stop down for the bugs.

I forgot how sharp this lens is wide open... I cant think of anything else in my wagon that is that sharp at F2.5

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Mike as Jay mentioned... I like to post lens specific test photos in the lens section. I think it makes it easier for people to find later. If they are looking for Vivitar 105 shots. Plus most of my lens test shots do not rise to the "Photograph" level.

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

They do post images there also, but the lens section is also for posting lens-specific images, and for discussions about the lens using the images as examples. I personally like seeing images in this section for that reason.

And Gus, once again you've managed to make me regret selling a lens. At least this time I didn't sell it to you.

Nice macro, but I really love that first shot.
I have the darn thing and did not use it thru what can only be described as Bug Summer! I might as well have sold it considering how little I have used it this year. But I am glad I made it hurt a little that you sold this great old lens.

This is one of only a few that I did not buy from you! 8^)
10-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I don't know why you'd want to sell this lens. It's got better IQ than anything that I've got.
10-11-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
Igilligan

Hey Jim...

I have the Vivitar Series 1 90mm with matching 2x macro adaptor (m42) and this 105 macro... When I was making my list of lenses to possibly purge... those two were my toughest choice...

The 105 is Kmount and an A lens... The 90 has a beautiful matching macro adaptor (that can be used with any M42 lens... and it is the most beautiful lens design I have ever seen....

So if I do sell one I was leaning towards the 105... but darn if these quick pics did not throw a wrench into the plan...

10-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I did a straight swap with my Vivitar 90mm f2.8 Kiron lens for a Pentax D-FA 100mm f2.8 macro about 4 months ago. I wish I hadn't as 90% of my Pentax gallery pics were taken with the Vivitar. Am currently looking for a replacement