Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2006, 06:48 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Teleconverter question

I'm looking at adding a good teleconverter to my 80-320 zoom but, I seem to remember reading somewhere that it must be compatable with the auto pins in order not to damage them. Is this correct?

The reason I ask is that I've found the autofocus hunts an awful lot when shooting in bush so I keep finding myself shooting in manual anyway. That being the case I'm assuming a teleconverter would make the autofocus even less usable so I'm thinking... Why not just go with a manual focus converter to save money which means being able to buy one with better glass.

So..to sum it all up. Can a manual focus teleconverter be used on a Pentas ist ds with a pentax 80-320 lens that has autofocus without damaging the pins on the camera or the zoom lens?

I'm not sure where I read that, and can't find it now.

11-15-2006, 10:13 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First off, any Pentax or Takumar converter will work without problems. I've also tried Soligor and Vivitar, and they're fine as well.

If you want to maintain auto aperture and shutter speed, you'll need to get a takumar-A teleconverter (I've used this combination myself, actually; it's still manual focus, though); otherwise, just get a standard, fully-manual one.

BTW, there's only one AF teleconverter that I know of, and it's not a lot different from the others (but let's leave that for another post).

Fully manual teleconverters won't damage the auto pins, though, because if that were true, then M lenses would be damaging the camera body itself, and they don't

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-16-2006, 09:02 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you Mo. That is exactly what I needed to know.
11-17-2006, 06:19 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Tamron 2x

I just tried my Tamron 2x on my 50-200 and it worked really nice except the camera focus is really slow. That is to be expected I guess.