Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2009, 08:21 PM   #1

Best Prime/Standard Lens for K7 (28mm to 35mm) - (f1.8 to f2.8)

I am looking for a Prime/Standard Lens for the K7, ideally 35mm or less, maybe 28mm and between f1.8 and f2.8, any recommendation ?, I've noticed Pentax does not have a huge offer of Prime lens, thanks

10-11-2009, 08:41 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
If you budget can't afford the FA 31mm 1.8, check out the sigma 28mm 1.8, it really is a gem.
10-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited
FA 35mm f/2

There is also the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and 28mm f/1.8.
10-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks a lot, any idea if the Sigma Lens are WR (Weather Resistant) ?, only the Sigma lens are compatible with Pentax ?, what about the Tamron lens ? or any other Brand ?, thanks

10-11-2009, 09:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
no the sigma lenses are not weather resistant. Neither are the pentax lenses mentioned.

Check tamrons website, not all of their lenses are compatible with pentax camera's.
10-11-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brosen Quote
I am looking for a Prime/Standard Lens for the K7, ideally 35mm or less, maybe 28mm and between f1.8 and f2.8, any recommendation ?, I've noticed Pentax does not have a huge offer of Prime lens, thanks
I'm surprised no one mentioned the DA 35mm Limited f2.8 macro.
10-11-2009, 09:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brosen Quote
I've noticed Pentax does not have a huge offer of Prime lens, thanks
Well, not fast standard/normal lenses at any rate.

As creampuff said, if you want genuine Pentax lenses, your only new choices are:

FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited
FA 35mm f/2

Otherwise, you will either have to look at 3rd party lenses or, if manual focus is not a problem, consider Pentax A- or M-series 28/2 or 35/2.

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I'm surprised no one mentioned the DA 35mm Limited f2.8 macro.
I guess because it's a macro lens and as such not really fast enough to be called a 'standard' or 'normal' lens.
10-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #8

QuoteQuote:
if you want genuine Pentax lenses, your only new choices are:

FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited
FA 35mm f/2

Otherwise, you will either have to look at 3rd party lenses or, if manual focus is not a problem, consider Pentax A- or M-series 28/2 or 35/2.

I guess because it's a macro lens and as such not really fast enough to be called a 'standard' or 'normal' lens.
Huh? I guess I'm confused by how you define "normal". The 35mm f/2.8 LTD is an amazing lens with exceptional quality wide open and is a 52.5mm equivalent focal length on a Pentax DSLR. The original poster defined his range of apertures from 1.8 to 2.8. How does an f/2.8 lens not meet his requirements? Brosen, check out this page than Mike Johnston from The Online Photographer wrote for Photo.net on the 35mm LTD Macro.

10-11-2009, 10:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rich_A Quote
Huh? I guess I'm confused by how you define "normal". The 35mm f/2.8 LTD is an amazing lens with exceptional quality wide open and is a 52.5mm equivalent focal length on a Pentax DSLR. The original poster defined his range of apertures from 1.8 to 2.8. How does an f/2.8 lens not meet his requirements?
Sorry my bad - I somehow missed that the original poster defined his range of apertures from 1.8 to 2.8.

As far as how I define 'normal': the diagonal of 35mm film is 43.26mm (hence the Pentax FA43mm). 50mm was just an approximation of the "real" film normal lens. Thus 28 is really 'normal' on aps-c but 35mm would be near enough.

I am a bit 'old school' though and, as I recall that traditionally 50mm standard lenses came in F2, 1.7, 1.4 and 1.2 (the 50mm macro was 2.8), I consider normal = faster than F2.8.
(Some people today consider normal to be F4 - where you choose to draw the line as far as F-stop is concerned is an individual thing I guess.)
10-12-2009, 04:59 AM   #10
Pentaxian

the 31mm f/1.8 is superb the DA 35mm is also a good choice, the FA31mm isn't the closest focusing wide angle lens out there and if that's your thing than get the DA35 f/2.8 the FA 35mm f/2 is a mixed bag and is often described as "soulless" by aficionados, while praising the 31mm f/1.8 which has basically the same performance (albeit much higher micro-contrast and it's perfectly usable at f/1.8)
10-12-2009, 05:41 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
(Some people today consider normal to be F4 - where you choose to draw the line as far as F-stop is concerned is an individual thing I guess.)
"Normal" has nothing to do with aperture, it's simply a description of focal length. A 28mm and 35mm are both considered normal lenses on Pentax APS-C cameras.

Normal lens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
10-12-2009, 08:45 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Also, just a note: while Pentax doesn't have the sheer number of primes in current production, you should be aware that most of the primes currently available for Canon & Nikon are older models designed for film; they've put out very few new primes since the advent of digital. Pentax, on the other hand, has quietly discontinued most of their older film lenses (although they still work just fine and are widely available used) and has what is, I believe, the largest line of primes designed specifically for digital.

Not that I believe that "designed for digital" really means better. but it does cast a different spin on the situation. You might look at the raw numbers and think Canon or Nikon care more about primes than Pentax does, but in fact, it's the other way around: Canon and Nikon seem to have almost completely lost interest in primes over the past decade.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 10-12-2009 at 12:51 PM.
10-12-2009, 10:00 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
FA 35mm f/2 is a mixed bag and is often described as "soulless" by aficionados
People say all kinds of crap on the net. My FA 35 does exactly what I want it to do, provides excellent performance and is sharp right from f2. Photozone rates the FA 35 optics at four stars, right up there with much more expensive lenses. That means more to me than a few dissenting opinions on a message board. Unfortunately finding one at a decent price may be difficult.
10-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
People say all kinds of crap on the net. My FA 35 does exactly what I want it to do, provides excellent performance and is sharp right from f2. Photozone rates the FA 35 optics at four stars, right up there with much more expensive lenses. That means more to me than a few dissenting opinions on a message board. Unfortunately finding one at a decent price may be difficult.
I don't think the complaints with this lens have ever been performance or sharpness, they've been complaints with the contrast compared with other Pentax primes.
10-12-2009, 10:33 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote

Not that I believe that "designed for digital" really means better. but it does cast a different spin on the situation.
My understanding is that lenses that are "designed for digital" have better anti reflective coatings on the rear lens element to combat flare reflections off the sensor.
I've noticed that what used to be excellent lenses on my film cameras can be a bit iffy from time to time for this reason.
I really have to watch my A100/2.8 macro, it seems especially prone to sensor flare.
Over at the studio I team up with, the owner has had to ditch all his old Nikkors for new "digital" lenses because of the awful sensor flare problems he was getting, and the other shooter, who uses a Stigma zoom of some sort loses shots frequently because of it.

For the OP, the 31mm LTD is likely your best option for a new "standard" lens, followed by the DA*35/2.8 Macro. For me, it's somewhat hobbled by it's slowish maximum aperture, but from everything I've read, it is a spectacular lens.
Another one to look at would be the 40/2.8 LTD, though it is getting to be a bit on the long side to be considered a normal lens.
It's a pretty decent little optic, and is very compact.
I also have an FA35/2 and find it to be quite good, though it is missing some of the 3D rendering that I like about the Limited lenses.
If you don't mind the used market and can live without AF, the A35/2 is an excellent lens, I used it as my standard with the DSLRs until I got the 31LTD.
I still use it from time to time when size matters, it's much smaller than the 31 and optically is better than the FA35/2

Last edited by Wheatfield; 10-12-2009 at 10:40 AM.