Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2009, 01:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Carl Zeiss lenses

Does anybody on here use a Carl Zeiss lens on their K20 or K7? Have been looking at them online and believe they are available in a Pentax mount. From what I hear they make some of the best glass around. The question(s) are...

-how do they compare with Pentax's best for price and IQ
-would the 14 megapixel sensor on the K20 be up to it and if so would I see a big improvement in IQ esp in the finished product

Some of the reviews I have read for the Sony A900 with the Sony/Zeiss lenses almost makes me want to go right out and get me some!

10-12-2009, 05:30 AM   #2

I recently bought the ZK 25 Distagon for use on a K20. It balances well on the body. *I* really like it. Pentax had no offering that would yield 38mm-40mm a FOV that suits me. It is easy to focus manually and it focuses to 2 inches from the front element. Larger prints are where you will see the difference in lenses. Screen shots won't do it. Will I buy more Zeiss? Probably not. I like quality lenses and if Pentax had a DA Limited in the equivalent FL I might have bought one. But if there a Zeiss in a FL that *you* really like you should be very happy. I think the Zeiss will keep up with the pace of sensor development. Zeiss stated that they were designed to out resolve film.

http://www.pbase.com/nickdemarco/25mm_lens_test
Attached Images

Last edited by Spotmatic; 10-12-2009 at 02:12 PM.
10-12-2009, 09:29 AM   #3
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
Does anybody on here use a Carl Zeiss lens on their K20 or K7? Have been looking at them online and believe they are available in a Pentax mount. From what I hear they make some of the best glass around. The question(s) are...

-how do they compare with Pentax's best for price and IQ
-would the 14 megapixel sensor on the K20 be up to it and if so would I see a big improvement in IQ esp in the finished product

Some of the reviews I have read for the Sony A900 with the Sony/Zeiss lenses almost makes me want to go right out and get me some!
Pentax glass is every bit as good as Zeiss in my opinion. in K mount? there are some, but those arent very common and are as far as I know all made by Cosina in Japan. in m42 mount, they are of course very abundant. you can do Contax mount conversions for Kmount though. Zeiss Contax lens for Pentax cameras but Contax mount Zeiss'es tend to be expensive. m42's are the cheapest. as for the sensor, I would say (in regards to most if not all m42 CZJ lenses) you have nothing to worry about. the sensor is more than capable of handling any Zeiss lens you mount. as for IQ, well thats subjective, but again I dont personally think having "Carl Zeiss" on the beauty ring will give you any better IQ than an equivelant Pentax prime lens. I always question the photographers abilities before I questions a lens'.

if you are referring to the new "Z" series of manual focus lenses, http://www.zeiss.com/photo well I say... if you can afford them, go for it.
10-12-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks seamuis what you say certainlt makes sense. If I am to invest in some Pentax glass it will be when there is substantial evidence of a FF DSLR in the works. I guess in that case I should avoid the DA lenses. I would love to stay with Pentax (partly because of the glass) but may have to switch systems down the track ($ permitting!). The Sony a900 or the Canon 5D are very tempting.....

10-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
Banned

Thanks seamuis what you say certainlt makes sense. If I am to invest in some Pentax glass it will be when there is substantial evidence of a FF DSLR in the works. I guess in that case I should avoid the DA lenses. I would love to stay with Pentax (partly because of the glass) but may have to switch systems down the track ($ permitting!). The Sony a900 or the Canon 5D are very tempting.....
ive been tempted by the nikon D700 myself...
10-12-2009, 07:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have used a number of Carl Zeiss glasses and you can see my thoughts and impressions in

Hin's Tech Corner: zeiss

Out the bunch, I like the Carl Zeiss Jena biotar 58mm f/2.0 and Carl Zeiss Flecktogon 35mm f/2.4 1:2 close-up the most. Both have m42 mount and it just fit right in with my K20D + a m42 to K adapter. And you should search for the Zeiss club as there are much more discussions that are more relevant to your Zeiss interests.

Thanks,
Hin
10-16-2009, 06:41 AM   #7

If I were going to get a FF body the new Zeiss 35mm f2.0 would be the first lens I would buy. Google sample pics...they are outstanding.