Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2009, 02:24 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
why don't you like the 50-135mm lens for wedding photography?

i'm thinking about getting this lens for my wedding photography work to use on the k20d mainly outside. what don't you like about this lens if you're using it for weddings? what do you like about it? thanks!

10-12-2009, 03:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I believe it's a loved lens for weddings. Sharp, light, reliable, fast, with a great range.
10-12-2009, 04:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It's a very interesting lens this, I've been watching it for a while.

I'm still in the market for a fast prime ~50mm, and whilst the Sigma f/1.4 50mm HSM is still my ultimate favourite to purchase, this 50-135mm f/2.8 is also on my mind as it would give me the flexibility of a low light, reasonably fast 50mm for portraits but also with added zoom functionality making it absolutely ideal for a wedding.

Of course bokeh might not be so creamy, but still very good. It's also a bit soft in the borders at 135mm wide open, but I don't think that would matter for portraits as there will be way too much bokeh going on to notice.

Oh decisions....!
10-12-2009, 04:59 AM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very few people would argue against it setting the standard for fast mid-telephoto zooms in any class.
Results speak for themselves - have a look at contributions in the DA* club for examples.

10-12-2009, 05:09 AM   #5
Ari
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used it for weddings and was EXTREMELY happy with the results. I sold my copy because of where my photography has been taking me lately - about ready to pull the trigger on the da*60-250. But for a while I only carried the 16-50, 50-135 and 31ltd in my bag and it was probably enough focal range and quality to have lasted me a lifetime.
10-12-2009, 05:31 AM   #6

I've not used the 50-135 myself but I believe it would be a wonderful lens for weddings. It's an exceptional performer by all accounts.

Pros:
- fast
- great IQ at all focal lengths
- perfect zoom range for portraits
- weather sealing
- 75-200mm equivilent on digital
- perfect match fo the DA* 16-50

Cons:
- doesn't have as much reach as a 70-200 (105-300mm eqivilent on digital)

If you don't need the extra reach or have it covered with another lens then it's a no-brainer.
10-12-2009, 07:34 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lisa.ireland Quote
i'm thinking about getting this lens for my wedding photography work to use on the k20d mainly outside. what don't you like about this lens if you're using it for weddings? what do you like about it? thanks!
I don't like it because it's a zoom.
However, it is apparently quite a good one, and the 60-250 is softening my stance somewhat with them.
It's still a pretty big lens, and I prefer lenses that are more discreetly sized for weddings.
10-12-2009, 07:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I don't like it because it's a zoom.
However, it is apparently quite a good one, and the 60-250 is softening my stance somewhat with them.
It's still a pretty big lens, and I prefer lenses that are more discreetly sized for weddings.
^I own this lens, and I agree wholeheartedly with Wheatfield.

I don't like the hood much; breaks too easily.

10-12-2009, 10:42 AM   #9

Original Poster
lens

i was used to using a 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, and 100 2.0 on my Canon set-up at weddings. I thought a zoom would be more practical instead of changing lenses and introducing dust into the camera. I loved my primes though!
I thought this lens is pretty lightweight compared to other brands though. And I've read how much people love this lens and find the quality of photo comparable to a prime.
I guess if I get it, and don't love it, it will most likely sell for a little less than what it costs new

More comments please from wedding photographers who use this lens!!!
10-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haven't used it for weddings (don't think I've been on one since I got it), but on many conferences, familly gatherings etc. that offer about the same sort of motives. It is an excellent lens for this sort of work. As basically all zoom lenses it performs best in the middle of the focal range, where it rivals a good prime lens.
10-13-2009, 04:22 AM   #11

have it, used it for weddings. The only downside I can think of is that the SDM could be quicker.

Really though, it's a top lens...light, high IQ, WR, solid.

really top lens.

J-P
10-13-2009, 07:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lisa.ireland Quote
I don't think you can do better for a mid range lens for weddings. If you pair this up with the 16-50 you have a perfect set up for weddings. The 60-250 is a bit too big for this purpose.

Some have suggested that primes are better, I use both, but for weddings and event photography you can not beat the versatility of a zoom.
10-13-2009, 08:14 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
I don't think you can do better for a mid range lens for weddings. If you pair this up with the 16-50 you have a perfect set up for weddings. The 60-250 is a bit too big for this purpose.

Some have suggested that primes are better, I use both, but for weddings and event photography you can not beat the versatility of a zoom.
The 60-250 is completely unsuited to wedding photography. I didn't mean to imply that it was, merely that it has somewhat softened my hatred for zoom lenses in general.
I still dislike zooms for weddings, they just don't do what I want them to do. I've used zooms a few times at weddings, I didn't find them versatile, but I did find them incredibly cranky to use because of how slow they are.
10-13-2009, 08:29 AM   #14
Veteran Member

How often are you shooting below 2.8?
10-13-2009, 08:50 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
How often are you shooting below 2.8?
This isn't a consideration, though I do find an f/1.4 lens is better at 2.8 than a 2.8 zoom is at 2.8.
Generally, I'm shooting at around f/5.6.
What is a consideration is viewfinder brightness and AF performance. Both are hobbled by zoom lenses in dim, indoor environments, and this is why I don't like zooms for weddings.