Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2009, 08:11 AM   #1
Forum Member

using cannon nikon sony lens

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

i was wondering if any of you use sony nikon or cannon lenses for pentax body with an adapter?
is their any side effects?

10-12-2009, 09:20 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't heard of anyone fitting a Sony or Canon lens to a Pentax. Nikon lenses will fit but won't lock and will only work manually. I wouldn't bother. As for side effects, one of my Nikkors extends far enough inside to interfere with the mirror.
10-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jolee1990 Quote
i was wondering if any of you use sony nikon or cannon lenses for pentax body with an adapter?
is their any side effects?
I don't think you can use EOS system lenses. I think that diameter of that mount is bigger than that of K mount. Canon FD are apparently usable after some changes to it's mounting... don't ask me for details, I just came across it in one thread.
MD/Sony A fit has different registration distance and requires quite a "surgery" to the lens from what I've read... i.e. not really worth the bother.
With Nikkors, tho old ones will fit "upside down" a let you take a picture but will never lock on the body and I believe they only work in stop down mode as M series of Pentax glass. I'm not sure about new Nikkors

that's as much as I know.
but I may wrong... anybody feel free to correct me

BR
Peter
10-12-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
o, but i have seen adapters for canon and pentax for lenses.
am i just misunderstanding?
maybe i am just weird haha nvm
thanks

10-12-2009, 07:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You're misunderstanding if you think you've seen an adapter that allows a Pentax camera to use lenses designed for Canon.
10-12-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
oh ok
thanks
10-13-2009, 12:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't know how well this will do the job or which Nikon lenses knowing bugger all about their mounting system.
New Focusing Adapter mount Nikon Lens to PENTAX Camera - eBay Digital Camera Lenses, Lenses, Photographic Accessories, Cameras. (end time 18-Oct-09 19:41:45 AEDST)

10-13-2009, 02:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

(xj)John(no),
you can try putting any Nikon lens onto your PK (DSLR) camera without modding anything.
There is a rigde/crest on the post-AI lenses from Nikon, which does create problems sometimes.

Generally you can put any lens on any camera, thus there is a possibility that you will get any kind of adapter for any possible combination (technically speaking).

The key to all this is understanding lens register distance. After that it is actually very easy to understand why for example you can buy Pentax K-mount adapters for Canon-EOS-mount but not vice versa. You will understand in an instant why you can put almost any lens on a micro 4/3 camera but almost none on a Nikon.

Best, Georg (the other)

PS: Comprehensive listing of lens register (a.k.a. flange focal) distances:
Lens mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
10-13-2009, 03:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

George, the registry distance issue is something I'm aware of, I'm assuming there may be an glass element as means for compensating for the relative differences. Not having tried the adapter with Nikon lenses I can't as stated above, comment on the effectiveness the performance using this adapter. Now should we tell Jolee about M42 lens and the M42 to Pentax adapter as well as the abundance of lenses in that mount or she we keep that to ourselves?
10-13-2009, 12:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Hey John,

I forgot you posted the link with the adapter with correction lens in it. I have never tried one. I am too much a lensnerd to appreciate additional glass but hey I use teleconverters and filters too .-)

About the M42 lenses, allright go tell Jolee about it. But hey they are not AF!

Best, Georg (piling up the manual lenses, oh oh)
10-13-2009, 12:58 PM   #11
D W
Veteran Member

Yes you can buy EOS or Sony/Minolta A or Nikon lens to Pentax K mount adapter with these correction "lens". I have seen them in Asian photo stores. You can see the degradation in the viewfinder.

Stay away from adapters with correction lens to compensate for registration distance. The image degradation is not worth it. It is like using a cheap tele-converter.
10-14-2009, 10:06 AM   #12
Pentaxian

There is a thread running currently, The Impossible Lens Club. It explains in many of the posts the difficulty of using different brand lenses. I suppose as a hobby if one wanted to take things apart and had the ability to machine some parts anything could be used in some capacity but for most of us it just isn't worth the effort. My IX Nikkors make fine paperweights.
10-15-2009, 04:12 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Reeftool,

I understand you are talking about old Nikon APS-C film lenses. They seem to share the Nikon F-mount, so it is possible you could just put them on Pentax K-mount without any mods.

Here is a thread were somebody put those lenses on Nikon DSLR's but grinded off a flange first and finally decided those IX Nikkors aren't really worth it anyways .-)
I guess you are right with the time/cost - benefit analysis with tinkering as a hobby. It's big fun though and can save some bucks if you're into manual lenses.

Best, Georg (the other)
10-15-2009, 06:57 AM   #14

Hi,

I've just "converted" my 300mm Nikkor for use on my new Samsung GX20!

Here the Thread about how I've done it

Manual Focus Lenses :: View topic - Using Nikkor lenses on Pentax DSLRs!

and here's a Thread about the results!

Manual Focus Lenses :: View topic - 300mm Nikkor on Samsung GX20

I like my Nikkor 300mm f4.5 very much and it works very well on my Samsung!
10-15-2009, 09:03 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
Reeftool,

I understand you are talking about old Nikon APS-C film lenses. They seem to share the Nikon F-mount, so it is possible you could just put them on Pentax K-mount without any mods.

Here is a thread were somebody put those lenses on Nikon DSLR's but grinded off a flange first and finally decided those IX Nikkors aren't really worth it anyways .-)
I guess you are right with the time/cost - benefit analysis with tinkering as a hobby. It's big fun though and can save some bucks if you're into manual lenses.

Best, Georg (the other)
I have heard about the flange grinding method of getting the IX Nikkors to work on DSLR's. So far I have put it off and didn't bother. I suppose I can only blame myself for purchasing a product that would be discontinued in short matter but at the time I made the wrong assumption that a company like Nikon wouldn't just drop a whole line of camera bodies and lenses without any notice and leave their customers hanging. I thought the IQ of the lenses were pretty good. I have a 24-70 and a 60-180 and I liked them both.